Making A Medley, Help needed
FretDancer69
Aug 14 2007, 05:05 AM
GMC:er
hello people, i recently had an idea that i wanted to do. I wanted to do a medley of some Vai and Satriani songs and record them.

But the problem is i dont know how to remove the guitar from the actual songs so i can be the guitar myself. Can anyone tell me how, or can anyone tell me how to download some kind of backing track that has the real song's instruments exept the guitar so i can record over? Thanks.

Also, these are the songs ive planned to record so far.
  • For The Love of God - Steve Vai
  • Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani

i wanna add more but i still cant find an appropriate song. Can anyone recommend other songs from these two that arent too diffucult.?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 14 2007, 06:24 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Aug 14 2007, 12:05 AM) *
hello people, i recently had an idea that i wanted to do. I wanted to do a medley of some Vai and Satriani songs and record them.

But the problem is i dont know how to remove the guitar from the actual songs so i can be the guitar myself. Can anyone tell me how, or can anyone tell me how to download some kind of backing track that has the real song's instruments exept the guitar so i can record over? Thanks.

Also, these are the songs ive planned to record so far.
  • For The Love of God - Steve Vai
  • Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani
i wanna add more but i still cant find an appropriate song. Can anyone recommend other songs from these two that arent too diffucult.?

Thanks

I would be intersted to know as well.There has to be someone on here that knows and is willing to share the info smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Aug 14 2007, 03:06 PM
Love thing by Satch is one of my fav.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 14 2007, 03:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Until we say goodbye is my favorite satch. Especially the live in san fransisco version. Not too hard.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 15 2007, 04:47 AM
thanks. but still, do anyone know how to remove the guitar from the real songs? or get a song without the guitar but with the same instruments of the real song?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Aug 15 2007, 05:12 AM
I haven't looked for either of those songs on this site but try this www.guitarbackingtrack.com

It's free too!!!

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 15 2007, 05:23 AM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Aug 14 2007, 10:12 PM) *
I haven't looked for either of those songs on this site but try this www.guitarbackingtrack.com

It's free too!!!

OMG AWESOME ohmy.gif !!!!! Dude thanks alot for this!! What a gretat website! again, THANKS A BUNCH!!! smile.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Aug 15 2007, 05:34 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Aug 15 2007, 05:23 AM) *
OMG AWESOME ohmy.gif !!!!! Dude thanks alot for this!! What a gretat website! again, THANKS A BUNCH!!! smile.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

I've been meaning to pass it on.....glad someone was asking for it. They are several really good 4,5, & 6 minute blues tracks on there. There's a lot that I would like to see added but it's free so I won't complain. Glad you like it!!

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 15 2007, 06:06 AM
GMC Founder
Removing vocals or guitars completely from a track is hard - and usually very difficult to do without removing lots of other stuff which has the same frequency.

The basic idea of approaching this would be to place the audio track in software which allows you to cut certain frequencies. Solo guitar and vocals are usually midrange frequencies.

Then experiment cutting at different frequencies...

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 15 2007, 01:29 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 14 2007, 11:06 PM) *
Removing vocals or guitars completely from a track is hard - and usually very difficult to do without removing lots of other stuff which has the same frequency.

The basic idea of approaching this would be to place the audio track in software which allows you to cut certain frequencies. Solo guitar and vocals are usually midrange frequencies.

Then experiment cutting at different frequencies...

ok, thanks Kris, but can you etll me of softwares that alllow this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2007, 10:14 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Aug 15 2007, 08:29 AM) *
ok, thanks Kris, but can you etll me of softwares that alllow this?

You could look at "The Amazing Slow Downer".

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 15 2007, 11:39 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Tascam have claimed that their mp3 phrase trainer - the MPGT1 -can remove the guitar part from a stereo mix.

There are quite a few bits of hardware (ie Karaoke) and software that claim they can remove vocals from a stereo mix - either through the attenuation of frequencies as Kris suggests (and this is hard to do as you will really need to ride a multi band eq in real time across a lot of frequencies where the gain is changing) or by inverting the signal on one channel so that the two phase cancel each other in the stereo master (you can do this in Audacity or any similar bit of software btw). From what I've seen none of them are 100%.

Vocals tend to be mixed centre and usually with a bit more gain then the instruments, guitar is usually panned off centre. What you are effectively doing in vocal cancelling is wiping out the centre channel - and that means anything that is there: vocals, drums, anything, and rendering back to a much attenuated mono signal. To recover the other 'lost' information means you have to make another pass through and apply suitable low band pass filtering to bring those particular frequency ranges back into the mix. (Its usually low as it tends to be kick drums and bass frequencies that are most evident in the centre channel.)

Centre channel sort of works then because the left and right channels are pretty much identical. (Rarely totally identical though as usually reverb, or some other buss type effect is added in different amounts to left and right channel.) Inverting one will cancel (most of) the other. Instruments off centre though don't give identical left and right channel waveform images. Inversion here won't result in full cut and may end up as a messy compromise.

To be honest, well if we can't vocal cancel then guitar canceling seems even less likely to work really well. Having said that Tascam's bit is probably adequate for a riff tracker where you just need most of the guitar attenuated out so that you can jam over the top of it. Anyway if you don't want to try the Tascam you can always try phase inversion using Audacity or similar - won't be perfect but could be good enough.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
chast
Aug 16 2007, 12:32 AM
Learning Roadie
You also can take a look at this site:

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 16 2007, 03:46 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 15 2007, 04:39 PM) *
Tascam have claimed that their mp3 phrase trainer - the MPGT1 -can remove the guitar part from a stereo mix.

There are quite a few bits of hardware (ie Karaoke) and software that claim they can remove vocals from a stereo mix - either through the attenuation of frequencies as Kris suggests (and this is hard to do as you will really need to ride a multi band eq in real time across a lot of frequencies where the gain is changing) or by inverting the signal on one channel so that the two phase cancel each other in the stereo master (you can do this in Audacity or any similar bit of software btw). From what I've seen none of them are 100%.

Vocals tend to be mixed centre and usually with a bit more gain then the instruments, guitar is usually panned off centre. What you are effectively doing in vocal cancelling is wiping out the centre channel - and that means anything that is there: vocals, drums, anything, and rendering back to a much attenuated mono signal. To recover the other 'lost' information means you have to make another pass through and apply suitable low band pass filtering to bring those particular frequency ranges back into the mix. (Its usually low as it tends to be kick drums and bass frequencies that are most evident in the centre channel.)

Centre channel sort of works then because the left and right channels are pretty much identical. (Rarely totally identical though as usually reverb, or some other buss type effect is added in different amounts to left and right channel.) Inverting one will cancel (most of) the other. Instruments off centre though don't give identical left and right channel waveform images. Inversion here won't result in full cut and may end up as a messy compromise.

To be honest, well if we can't vocal cancel then guitar canceling seems even less likely to work really well. Having said that Tascam's bit is probably adequate for a riff tracker where you just need most of the guitar attenuated out so that you can jam over the top of it. Anyway if you don't want to try the Tascam you can always try phase inversion using Audacity or similar - won't be perfect but could be good enough.
Cheers,
Tony

Hmm sounds kinda hard sad.gif laugh.gif . Ive heard of Tascam before, ill see what i can do.

QUOTE (chast @ Aug 15 2007, 05:32 PM) *
You also can take a look at this site:

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

Ill take a look at it, thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:25 PM