2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Dark_dude's Mtp Thread
Emir Hot
Sep 5 2009, 04:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Dark_Dude

Finally we have it all set and ready to go smile.gif I hope we will both have some good experience with this. The first thing I would like to know is what you would like to learn and we can take it from there. Please write down your current playing abilities, post some recordings or a video (if you have) and specify which area you would like to focus on. That can be anything from theory, technique, some of my lessons - just whatever you want. I am looking forward to this and I hope that you will learn many useful things throughout this program.

All the best
Emir

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 5 2009, 09:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam. Thanks for the helpful info you sent on PM. Can you please remember to write in this forum thread so I can have things better organized. I will start with some riffing for you as you want to focus on playing songs. Check this thread tomorrow there should be something ready for you.

Emir

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 6 2009, 01:23 AM
GMC:er
Hey Emir!

• WHAT I'D LIKE TO LEARN:

At the moment my goal is to play songs people want to hear, live. Theory I don't need so much at the moment as I'll only be covering songs and not writing my own stuff just yet. So I'd like to improve my overall technique (less likely to include fast sweep sections due to the nature of the bands I'll be covering).

Examples of bands/songs I'd consider covering:

Sweet Child of Mine, Nightrain, Anything Goes by Guns 'N' Roses.

Powerslave, Fear of the dark by Iron Maiden.

Hit the lights, Creeping Death by Metallica.

Deep Purple.

Boys are back in town, Don't believe a word by Thin Lizzy.

Airbourne.

Carry on wayword son by Kansas.

Mama, I'm coming home, Desire, Tattooed Dancer by Ozzy.

Queen

Toto

Skid Row

In my own time I like to listen to heavier bands such as:

Sylosis

Symphony X

Lamb of God

Megadeth

All shall perish

Shadow's Fall

Machine Head

I think you get the idea smile.gif Love a driving, pumping, energy-filled song. Also love my rock ballads. So I'd love to learn anything to help me play the above.
  • CURRENT PLAYING ABILITIES:

60bpm Etude:

Bark at the moon riffs:

The above are the only recorded videos I have at the moment, I can upload more if you need to see/hear more.

I've also submitted an entry to the southern metal collab.: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=415619

Also sent you that terrible mp3 reel of numerous songs sight-read off GP. Sorry about the tone, haha.

And lastly I have a practice agenda that I started last week, it's in my signature.

I'll upload a video of me playing the other lesson I've been practicing, Jose's alt. picking in 16ths tomorrow.

---

Looking forward to MTP, I'll put in 110%.

Adam.

This post has been edited by dark_dude: Sep 6 2009, 01:31 AM

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 6 2009, 12:58 PM
Instructor
Hi

This is a very nice list of songs you like. I am also fan of all those bands smile.gif How about a GnR song? Sweet Child of Mine sounds reasonable to cover. I have backing track which I can send you on email and we can start part by part. I'll send my address on PM. Apart from that are you happy to try some of my lessons? I think it would be good if you do some exercises to strenghten your hands and learn at least 5 minor pentatonic boxes which will help you for simple rock solos. How about this one? 5 minor pentatonic boxes are a must for every rock guitarist so I think this will help you later with playing covers. Most of rock solos are usually improvised live using these boxes. Let me know if you're happy with that and we'll take it from there.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Sep 6 2009, 03:32 PM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 6 2009, 01:45 PM
Sure, a song to cover sounds great! If it makes it easier on you I can learn the whole song from gp files from ultimate guitar, as I've learnt quite a bit of the lead stuff before. Or I could re-learn from David's lesson here. Then perhaps we could go through the trickier solo parts? Whatever you think's most efficient to do.

If you think your lessons (or anything else for that matter) will help me achieve my goals then I'm more than happy to do it! I'm quite familiar with the pentatonic shapes so I'll get onto learning that now.

I'm leaving the house now and will be back around 7pm, where I'll begin memorisation. I'll post some videos when I've got something worth showing.

Cheers.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 6 2009, 03:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark_dude @ Sep 6 2009, 01:45 PM) *
Sure, a song to cover sounds great! If it makes it easier on you I can learn the whole song from gp files from ultimate guitar, as I've learnt quite a bit of the lead stuff before. Or I could re-learn from David's lesson here. Then perhaps we could go through the trickier solo parts? Whatever you think's most efficient to do.

If you think your lessons (or anything else for that matter) will help me achieve my goals then I'm more than happy to do it! I'm quite familiar with the pentatonic shapes so I'll get onto learning that now.

I'm leaving the house now and will be back around 7pm, where I'll begin memorisation. I'll post some videos when I've got something worth showing.

Cheers.

Sounds great, let's do it the way I suggested smile.gif Take your time and work on my lesson. We can analyse what we've covered every weekend. In the meantime I will try to prepare some more stuff.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 6 2009, 07:58 PM
Alright man, starting work on the exercise now. Will keep you updated.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 6 2009, 10:38 PM
Okay, I've memorised the whole lesson. I'll start working on playing to a metronome tomorrow morning.

Do you want me to be able to name the position I'm playing in and to point out the root notes? That'll take some more memorisation, but it's cool.

Adam.

EDIT: I decided to learn the above anyway. I now know the 5 positions and all the roots within the positions. The lesson uses (from the lowest note) the positions V, I, II, III, IV, V, I.

I should be able to take any note and play the minor pentatonic based off that. This also gives me a fast way of playing all the e.g. A's on the fretboard.

This post has been edited by dark_dude: Sep 6 2009, 11:41 PM

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 08:50 AM
Instructor
Once you learn those shapes you should be able to play it with any root.

Here is the chart that I want you to play. Start from the top and read from left to right. First you play A pentatonic in position 5, then you play C pentatonic in position 4 etc... When you finish you move to the next row - A pentatonic position 1 etc... You should play the whole thing with no stop smile.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 7 2009, 03:49 PM
Spent a good 3, 4 hours grinding away at memorising the positions for A, C, D, F, G. I've covered A, C, D so far, but need to go over D again.

Will take a break to regain my concentration and practice the lesson, coming back to the above later in the evening.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 05:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark_dude @ Sep 7 2009, 03:49 PM) *
Spent a good 3, 4 hours grinding away at memorising the positions for A, C, D, F, G. I've covered A, C, D so far, but need to go over D again.

Will take a break to regain my concentration and practice the lesson, coming back to the above later in the evening.

Good stuff smile.gif This is actually much better way of practicing scales instead of just learning boxes and don't know what to do with them smile.gif We'll use this over backing track where you need to improvise later smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 8 2009, 10:57 PM
Update!

Only had about 4 hours to practice today, but here's what I've done.

1) Able to link together the A, C, D minor pent. positions. Will start on F and maybe G tomorrow!
2) Can play the A minor pent. lesson comfortably at 60 bpm and 70 is pretty close but having trouble in counting the last pattern (the sweeping section). How do I keep count with those?

Adam.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 8 2009, 11:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark_dude @ Sep 8 2009, 10:57 PM) *
Update!

Only had about 4 hours to practice today, but here's what I've done.

1) Able to link together the A, C, D minor pent. positions. Will start on F and maybe G tomorrow!
2) Can play the A minor pent. lesson comfortably at 60 bpm and 70 is pretty close but having trouble in counting the last pattern (the sweeping section). How do I keep count with those?

Adam.

Don't worry about that last section. It's written in GP file, I can't remember now. The important part is that you master all positions. Later we can do more stuff.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 9 2009, 02:58 PM
Nearly done with F and should be able to get G done today as well.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 9 2009, 06:29 PM
Still shaky on G but working on it and polishing the rest. Nearly done though!

In the meantime I'll continue bringing the pent. AP exercise up to speed.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 11 2009, 01:08 AM
Here's a video of me playing the pentatonic minor chart:

Do you want me to upload a video of anything else?

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 12 2009, 01:18 PM
Instructor
Great stuff. You should have started on the first several frets, not behind the 12th fret. On G position 1 you moved back. Also on some other shapes you jumped too much. The whole 1st line should be between 1-6 frets. The second line moves a bit to the right etc...

Now when you know these shapes You can start using them in some soloing. I will produce backing track soon where you will compose a solo using these.

The next chart is exactly the same thing but major scale in 5 positions smile.gif

Check Dexxter's MTP thread and the video he played this exercise. Hi did a great job with this. I also recorded a video explaining this chart on his MTP thread. This will help you move in key changes a lot and it's a great picking exercise. The goal is that we later combine these scales with that pentatonic and produce some solos which will make you feel comfortable everywhere on the neck. I will record a video and demonstrate it soon. Until then you can start working on this.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 12 2009, 01:55 PM
Sorry about starting after the 12th, thought the point was to be able to play on both octaves in that scale - that's why I jumped on a few smile.gif

Will have a look at your video and learning this should be no problem. I'll leave updates as usual.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 12 2009, 02:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark_dude @ Sep 12 2009, 01:55 PM) *
Sorry about starting after the 12th, thought the point was to be able to play on both octaves in that scale - that's why I jumped on a few smile.gif

Will have a look at your video and learning this should be no problem. I'll leave updates as usual.

Good. Take your time and learn all those shapes. Later these things will start to look much more interesting smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 12 2009, 11:25 PM
I wasn't sure whether to include the 3rd note on the high E in position 4 or not, but I did include it in the video. I've tried to remove the last note in each position too, like you did in the video. Also, excuse the wrong note (it's at the very end).

My fretting pinky has been hurting today, so I didn't do any work on the AP lesson, but I will upload a video of me playing that as soon as I can.

I'll continue moving up the BPM on the Minor Pent. lesson and will start learning the major scale for A, C, D and F tomorrow.

Adam.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:47 PM