Do Not Press To Hard....basic Tunign Issues
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2014, 01:12 PM
Instructor
Just had an idea to share some thoughts after watching a lot of beginners having issues with guitar tuning. Aside from form knowing some essatinal rules on how to tune, there is a thing that I constantly experinece while watching other people play - it's a dismatched fingers pressure on the frets.

PRESS ONLY AS HARD AS IT'S NECESSARY...NOT EVEN BIT HARDER

The lighter strings gauge, the more pitch bend we get on fretted note. Some beginners come to my service to get their guitars fixed. At least half ot them get back home without even a single move of screwdriver being a bit more wise after just a few minutes of discussion.
It is hard to get our (even expensive, well crafted) guitar to keep good intonation if we do not learn how to generate possibly constant pressure on each fret. Of course proper guitar set-up is also the key but If we already have this done by a professional, it's wort to seek for invalid intonation issues in the way we press the strings.

There is some point of pressure that is actually unnecessary - even if we play very hard with our left hand.

Grab a tuner and see for Yourself. How many cents difference You can get on the same fret, jus by changing the pressure?

Experiment with different string gauges - Make sure You are not able top play a harder gauge. Maybe the type of playing You prefer does not make much difference with comfort while using thicker strings. They'll always give You less pitch bend while pressing with Your fingers and will improve overall tuning stability and intonation.

Be more sceptical - do not always trust the green light on Your tuner. Check some more positions on Your fretboard and try to find best compromise. Guitar is not a keyboard. Nobody guarantee that green light on the open string means proper intonation all over the neck.

And next to the pressure issues...one of most common for me to experience with beginners

DO NOT READJUST YOUR GUITAR WHILE STRINGS ARE OLD*

Strings to loose the intonation as well. Usually it's not more than 3-4 weeks we can truly trust them. Before You mess up anything with screwdriver, wait and change the strings. You can surprise yourself.

Sorry for being borring for some who already know this but I'm sure some of us still need info like this.

Of course this topic needs much more explanations. Maybe You'll share some of Your experience as well ?smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
klasaine
Dec 18 2014, 05:32 PM
GMC:er
Very true and excellent points Darius!
It's one of the reasons I use .011 to .48 (or .50) strings (see Ben's new thread).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 18 2014, 05:32 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2014, 09:04 PM
Instructor
Thanx for response Ken. I was trying myself a few times with 11-52 and that's the gauge I use for acoustic but unfortunately it's a bit to heavy while using a lot of bends...not only whole tone bends + tapped bends etc. I felt like it's the edge of my comfort while playing at home. I was almost sure I'll stay with 11s...but...I played a few gigs where I was for hours in the bass, exhausted and no time to warm up. I felt pretty uncomfortable so I decided to get back to 10s or 10-52.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 18 2014, 09:37 PM
GMC Founder
Darius this advice is golden!

It took me a long time to understand this, and I have done the mistake to start messing with intonation because of old strings.

Nowadays I just take cloth and remove the dirt from the strings, as soon intonation starts sounding weird (I suffer form hand sweat). It is usually most noticeable high up on the neck (for me).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2014, 09:43 PM
Instructor
Very good point Kris! Some of has has to be aware that the "strings life "rules might not rfer to them. Unfortunately I know a lot of people with acid sweat problem and they can destroy regular strings in a week. Haven't found any other solution than using coated strings....at least by far

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 18 2014, 10:01 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 18 2014, 09:43 PM) *
Very good point Kris! Some of has has to be aware that the "strings life "rules might not rfer to them. Unfortunately I know a lot of people with acid sweat problem and they can destroy regular strings in a week. Haven't found any other solution than using coated strings....at least by far

Yes that's me! I need to use coated strings or I get a full time job of just changing strings ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 18 2014, 11:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great thread and wise advices!!!!

Experiments are important and help us to know better our instrument. I was very lucky because You explained me all these from the starting of our mentoring and You helped me to understand and avoid all the problems.
I always change my strings at every 3 weeks. Never later because I can hear a difference in sound which bother me.
Also I will make the step and change the strings gauge in 10-46. I tried, I made experiments and You had right again, there are differences for the type of playing that we like smile.gif Probably after I will finish our lesson I will not go back again to 9-42 wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 18 2014, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
I used to be guilty of pressing the strings too hard.

Sometimes I still find myself doing it from time to time when learning strange chords or shapes - but I pick up on it quick and have to tell myself to ease off a little tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 18 2014, 11:24 PM
Instructor
No worries Chris \m/ Word "Strage" makes our fingers react same as our mind....so when You do "hmmmm" when trying to make that chord happen, Your fingers screen "don't let us fall, don'e let us fall"...so the stick so hard to the fretboard biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:58 AM