3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
I Was Having A Great Weekend ...., until ..
Chris Evans
Apr 5 2009, 07:19 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Well, last night I sent an email with the pictures I took along with an explanation of everything to my local Community police officer, he will be contacting me to "visit" some time today, so we`ll see what happens from there.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 5 2009, 07:26 AM
GMC:er
real simple. talk to the parents. tell them that the evidence is clear, and you will have to call the police if he continues to deny it. If they want their boy taken away in hand cuffs, their call.

I did that once, with similar evidence. I agreed not to have them arrested when they admitted it, but that was my option.

QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Apr 4 2009, 02:09 PM) *
My neighbours 18 year old son who passed his driving test a few months ago reverses into my car and does this to it!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

[attachment=14783:DSCF0151.JPG]

its worse than it looks in the pic, the door is also dented in a line from below the S line badge!

Cant tell ya just how angry I am at the moment, not so much at the damage, but the fact that he flatly denied it, unfortunatly I didnt see him do it but strangly if you take a look at his rear quarter bumper (all fresh btw!)............

[attachment=14784:DSCF0149_outlined.JPG]

and after I measured the different scuffs etc, they match more or less perfectly, he still denys it, and how the hell do I prove it, all I can do and have done is made a claim online to my insurance company explaining and sending them these pictures too, hopefully they`ll sort it!

I`ve just bought this car, I`ve only had it approx 5 weeks and its my absolute pride n joy!!

Right now, I could just ............... explode!! mad.gif

QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Apr 5 2009, 01:19 AM) *
Well, last night I sent an email with the pictures I took along with an explanation of everything to my local Community police officer, he will be contacting me to "visit" some time today, so we`ll see what happens from there.

I had not read this first. Well things might be different in Britain. Here the cop came right out, and was willing to arrest them for hit and run, if I had pressed it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 5 2009, 07:29 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 5 2009, 07:26 AM) *
I had not read this first. Well things might be different in Britain. Here the cop came right out, and was willing to arrest them for hit and run, if I had pressed it.

yea, unfortunatly things like this are not "priority" as "no one was injured", you have to go through your local Communtiy Officers first, this will I`m hoping be enough of a frightener for him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 5 2009, 07:46 AM
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Apr 5 2009, 01:29 AM) *
yea, unfortunatly things like this are not "priority" as "no one was injured", you have to go through your local Communtiy Officers first, this will I`m hoping be enough of a frightener for him.

The Cop won't be stupid, he/she will know that the kid is lying. With the evidence, and also they are trained to know how to recognize it when someone is lying, based on body language, eyes, things like that.

I would assume that in such a situation, the cop will know the strings to pull to get the bad guy go fess up, and pull those strings.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 5 2009, 08:05 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 5 2009, 07:46 AM) *
The Cop won't be stupid, he/she will know that the kid is lying. With the evidence, and also they are trained to know how to recognize it when someone is lying, based on body language, eyes, things like that.

I would assume that in such a situation, the cop will know the strings to pull to get the bad guy go fess up, and pull those strings.

absolutly, you know and thinking about it more this morning, had someone knocked on my door and I knew for a fact I hadnt hit his car then I`d be a little more animated about it than they were, they were very quiet, almost sheepish, as you can see from the photo`s especially if you line them up side by side its a perfect match, I couldnt nor would have denied that, it was all there in front of them, stupid to do what they have.

I think on this occasion they have misinterpreted something that is kind of drumed into us by our car insurance companies, (not sure if it applies to other countries) that you NEVER admit any liability, the innocent until proven guilty thing, however, having a bit of a read up last night, the law states that it is the responsibilty of the person who "hit" the parked vehicle to make every effort to trace down the owner of the car, if they cant then they have to report it to the Police within 24hours of the incident failure to do so is an offence,if you know who`s car it is then to contact them "immediatly" failure to do so again is an offense, and either can carry a custodial sentence as a maximum.

I can understand to a degree why he has denied it but in this instance its pretty dumb when its your neighbours car and all the evidence is hanging on the end of your nose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 5 2009, 08:51 AM
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Apr 5 2009, 02:05 AM) *
I think on this occasion they have misinterpreted something that is kind of drumed into us by our car insurance companies, (not sure if it applies to other countries) that you NEVER admit any liability, the innocent until proven guilty thing,

I expect that things work there in similar fashion to how they work here. Most often cases cannot be proven totally one way or another, especially small ones, so they are decided on reasonableness, at least that is what my lawyer brother says.

So if this came to court which sounds more reasonable?

1) It is shear coincidence that your car got hit in front of your place, and the neighbor kid just happens to show damage on his car that matches up to yours nicely.

2) An 18 year old was out drinking with his buddies, backed into your car, and then deniee it.

I will pretend that I am a judge. Which seems more reasonable to me?

This is what the kid would be facing, should he continue to lie, not just from you, your insurance company might go after him, and that would be serious.

+Quote Post
Roadside
Apr 5 2009, 09:31 AM
Oh my god it´s an sline. I probably would kill him, but just as the others said, damage can be fixed, but the relation to that guy is cracked up for sure.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 5 2009, 04:43 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A few things to be aware of Chris in the UK:

1) If your driveway is private (ie the general public have no right of way - ie you have a locked gate or something that prevents access) then the police don't have to investigate. They only have a duty if it is public land or a public highway.

2) If it is private he doesn't need to be insured but if it is public then he must be insured. (This may have changed recently though.)

3) Without a witness insurance companies seem to prefer 50/50 or knock-for-knock. Avoid this as you were not at fault.

4) Apart from the photos of your car take photos of his to try to establish guilt. Works particularly well if the impact on yours is on the side and his is on the front/rear. Unless you've learnt how to drive sideways he MUST have hit you wink.gif .

5) You may want to claim against him direct - get him to pay personally for the repairs, lease car etc rather then go through insurance and waste time and possibly lose your NCB.

Hope it works out quickly for you - these things are really annoying and cause a huge amount of inconvenience.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 5 2009, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (Roadside @ Apr 5 2009, 09:31 AM) *
Oh my god it´s an sline. I probably would kill him,

It was close, very close! fortunatly good sense provailed and I walked away!

@tony - thanks for the tips smile.gif

I`d already taken pictures of "both" cars and I do know he is insured as he told me how much it cost him when he first bought his car a few months back, it was on a public road so yes he has to be insured.

an overall update though for anyone interested laugh.gif
The police contacted me again, they didnt visit (I guess something better turned up, apologys to any police guys out there I appreciate its not the individuals fault, just the system), instead I had to visit the local police station to make an official report over the counter, I`ve been given an incident number which I have to pass on to my insurance company, at this stage they will not do anymore than write to him explaining that they have reason to believe he was involved in a road traffic incident and will need to provide them with details of his Insurance and failure to do so blah de blah etc, once they have it they will pass them on to me to provide to my Insurance company,because no one witnessed him do it, even with damage evidence they will not attend, basically they arnt interested at the moment other than the fact he has not provided me with insurance details if he doesnt respond to their request for insurance details then he`ll be in the smelly stuff, it`ll be down to my Insuranc company then to go after their loss, being fully comp insured my car will be repaired regardless, but as Tony rightly said, it will affect any no claims bonus, plus I will have to pay an excess on my insurance!!

However!! ... laugh.gif an interesting twist! tonight whilst putting my daughter to bed and doing the usual bedtime story stuff, my neighbours mother knocked on the door and spoke with my wife, claiming that she hadnt been able to sleep last night etc, she`d never seen me so mad etc blah blah, and she couldnt bear it if I never spoke to them again, she`d been asking her son all day several times but he still denied it, so in order "to keep the peace between us" would I consider an offer for her to pay half of whatever the damages will be, fortunatly my wife was quick enough to say, "I`ll let him know when he comes down but he`ll want a night to think it over, we`ll get back to you"

Now ... why on earth would someone offer to even pay half of the damages if they didnt believe he hit my car as well, you just wouldnt do that! laugh.gif

I`m going to have a calm chat with her tomorrow, I`m not going to go into details of my Police station visit but will advise that I had to report the incident to them for insurance purposes (which is true anyways), watch this space laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 5 2009, 10:53 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Seems she believes he did it and looks to me the guilt was more than she could bare. Sounds like her son has everything handed to him, just speculation of course, so why would he care. Hope you get it worked out man and nice ride btw. smile.gif Good luck!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 5 2009, 10:53 PM
Instructor
Aaah so the boy was guilty after all, and the mother practically confirmed it!

One thing that bugs me is that I don't see why his mother can't just pay a full cost of the repair and get it over with? I can think only to answers to that:

1. They don't have enough money
2. They are tight on the money

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 5 2009, 11:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Apr 5 2009, 09:40 PM) *
However!! ... laugh.gif an interesting twist! tonight whilst putting my daughter to bed and doing the usual bedtime story stuff, ...

You're a nicer calmer person then me mate. Last time this sort of thing happened to me (not including when my wife prangs the car) I also did my little un's bedtime story that night. She stopped me part way through to ask why Sheltie the Pony was going to kick 7 kinds out of the 'bad' tractor driver. Guess I got carried away a bit rolleyes.gif .

Best of luck with getting them to fess up mate - looks like they're about to cave in for you smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 5 2009, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Apr 5 2009, 11:00 PM) *
You're a nicer calmer person then me mate. Last time this sort of thing happened to me (not including when my wife prangs the car) I also did my little un's bedtime story that night. She stopped me part way through to ask why Sheltie the Pony was going to kick 7 kinds out of the 'bad' tractor driver. Guess I got carried away a bit rolleyes.gif .

Best of luck with getting them to fess up mate - looks like they're about to cave in for you smile.gif .

laugh.gif a few years ago perhaps I wouldnt have been quite so contolled, I`m pleased that I kept a level head, albeit with gritted teeth and steam coming out of my ears laugh.gif

Ivan - I expect your right, the repair isnt going to be cheap, I also think this is more of an effort to stop me trying to claim against his insurance, he`s a new and young driver, his insurance was £1100 for this year, if a claim is successful against him his premium would be through the roof for next year, the odds for my insurance managing to reclaim back the loss in this case are very slim indeed, they are possibly aware of this yet perhaps are making this offer "just in case", they dont know what the outcome may be, and I dont know either so I`ve got to be careful and work whats best for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 6 2009, 03:34 AM
Instructor
I see mate, things are a bit more complicated. unsure.gif Nevertheless, I hope everything will be OK and you get a fair deal in the end. Good luck smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Roadside
Apr 6 2009, 05:03 AM
I think she´s is just thinking about it like: "Why shouldn´t I try to give him the halfprice!? What can I loose ? Maybe it´s ok for him and I´ll save some money!" And maybe for her it´s not proven that her son was it, which would be stupid, cause he really seems to be guilty. I hope you and your neighbours will go the right way after all. Tell us, if the guy can look in your eyes in the next couple of weeks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 6 2009, 08:51 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Hmm.. could it be also in britain that youngsters that are involved in an accident by automatic will have their licence withdrawn? I think we have something like that here where they can't get billed once for violating traffic law.
Maybe risking his license, knowing he knocked your car while driving under influence, and knowing it's gonna cost will make him never confess even if he got caught with a smoking gun.

And why just pay half??? Why should you pay anything for something you didn't do??

Keep the news coming! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 6 2009, 08:56 AM
Instructor
Sorry to hear mate sad.gif

As you said, damage can be fixed but seems like
some people never change,
I hope your insurance company will solve things tho. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Apr 6 2009, 09:00 AM
Learning Roadie
OMG!
i am sorry to hear this.. especially because he denies it. wth.. thats not the way to handle your neighbours.. :S

hope he gets some sense into him..

edit:
last year i went to see the new indiana jones movie in the cinema.. and parking in the city was not something i was too fond of, but we found this underground parking garage which cost a bit more.. so i parked down there hoping my car would be fine..

then we came back after the movie and somebody had backed up their car directly into the rear left side giving my car a major dent.. the bumper here was plastic so it was just this major hole.. i could nearly fit my foot inside the hole (not through the hole, if you know what i mean)..

the driver did not leave me any note.. and even though there were cameras in the parking garage, they refused to find out who it was.. so i never got it fixed.. so i drove around with the biggest dent for 6 months before i switched to a new car..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Apr 6 2009, 09:11 AM

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 6 2009, 12:19 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Good news Chris.

What I don't get is why she would pay the money out of her pocket. She must have insurance, and the insurance will pay for the damage. That's why car insurance exists, and that's why we pay for it!

Why wouldn't she just do what everyone does, call the insurance company, and let them pay?!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 23 2009, 03:30 PM
Man that's infuriating. Somebody drove into my Dad's new car (about a month old also) when it was parked in a supermarket and the people just drove off. He didn't see it because he was in the supermarket sad.gif

I hate people who don't admit to causing damage. If that was me I'd at least leave a note under the windscreen wipers with contact details and saying sorry.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:42 PM