2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reaper Problems! Help!
Sensible Jones
Mar 20 2010, 02:20 PM
GMC:er
OK, my problem is this:-
Every time I open Reaper it loads and gets to the point where the Logo should fade away (just before the Evaluation window would show) and just freezes up!
It all started when I installed an M-Audio Fast Track. I changed all the PC and Reaper settings to use the Fast Track as my Soundcard and since then Reaper just hasn't worked. I've de-installed and re-installed several times but with no difference. I even re-downloaded a new copy of Reaper but that still does the same thing.
I've disconnected the Fast Track and reset everything to the onboard Soundcard but to no avail. (Is it possible to remove the Drivers for the Fast Track if that's what's causing the problem?)
I did a System Restore to a couple of weeks ago when it was working properly and that didn't work either!
I am getting really frustrated mad.gif now and am thinking of fixing it permanently with a very large Hammer!!! wink.gif laugh.gif

Any ideas????

There are many entries in the Error Log which reads as follows:-

20 March 2010 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application reaper.exe, version 3.1.5.0, hang module hungapp, version
0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
20 March 2010 Applicatio n Hang Hanging application reaper.exe, version 2.4.6.0, hang module hungapp, version
0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

There are more 3.1.5.0 entries than 2.4.6.0 ones. Don't know if this helps at all!
Any (and all) advice greatly appreciated!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Mar 20 2010, 02:35 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 20 2010, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Mar 20 2010, 02:01 PM) *
You using 64-bit reaper? i had major problems with that and switched to 32-bit

I'm sure it was 32, but I'll go check and swap if it was the 64 version!
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 20 2010, 03:38 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Might be a few possiblities here SJ -

USB devices, particularly soundcards, often prefer to sit on a USB connector that is fixed directly to the mobo. If your fastrack is a USB then you should install it on a USB port that is physically hardwired to the mobo and not on an extension card. If you don't want to open up your pc to tke a look inside to see which usb ports are on the mobo and which on an extension card then you'll have to use a system of trial and error to find out.

Make sure that Windows is seeing the Fastrack ok - go to Hardware (Control Panel>Systems Properties>HardwareDevice Manager>Hardware)and make sure that teh Fastrack shows up ok and doesn't have a little yellow '?'. If it does it Windows sees it as a device but not installed properly. If there is a yellow '?' right click and select properties and the 'general' tab should tell you what the issue is.

If the Fastrack doesn't show up as hardware at all then it's not installed ok at all. You'll need to remove the hardware and uninstall the drivers and software. Follow the manufacturer's recommended uninstall - don't just delete the driver. Then do a clean install, again following the manufacturer's procedure - pay careful attention to the sequence for when you turn the Fastrack on - turn it on to soon can mess up the install.

As a final possibility the Fastrack may be sitting on the same bus address as some other piece of hardware and so what may be happening is that when Reaper tries to initialise to the Fastrack to set up the message either isn't sent or goes to the wrong device. You could check the pci addresses for every hardware deivce via the Hardware tab or alternatively a software utility like Sandra here should be able to provide the info. (Don't thinkf Sandra is freewar though - and I haven't used it in many years so don't know how good it is nowadays. If you look around there may be freeware tools similar to Sandra.) If you have a device sharing the same address as the Fastrack then you could try moving it to a different pci slot.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 20 2010, 06:55 PM
Wow!! Thanks for all that Tony!!
I'll go check the Device Manager now and see what it says!
I did have it connected to one of the 'hard' USB Ports, I also tried it through a powered Hub as well but with no success either.
I've D/Led the 'lite' version of SANDRA and will run that too!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 20 2010, 09:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
One idea.....
Always works for me laugh.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 20 2010, 10:54 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 20 2010, 08:28 PM) *
One idea.....
Always works for me laugh.gif

You have no idea how close I am to doing that!!! mad.gif

Actually, I think you probably do!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 20 2010, 10:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 20 2010, 10:54 PM) *
You have no idea how close I am to doing that!!! mad.gif

Actually, I think you probably do!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yeah. Around computers I've been close to tears more than once laugh.gif

Btw, my solution will only work once.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 21 2010, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 20 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Yeah. Arounf computers I've been cloe to tears more than once laugh.gif

Btw, my solution will only work once.

Mine too!!!
Here's my "PC Repair Kit"...........

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 21 2010, 05:14 AM
Moderation Policy Director
FWIW - I have been using 64 bit Reaper on 64 bit windows 7 for a few months now and it works flawlessley - any problems would be specific to the hardware I would suspect.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 21 2010, 04:35 PM
OK, I've unistalled the Fast Track Drivers and unplugged it and gone back to using the onboard Soundcard but Reaper still keeps freezing at the same point and coming up with a 'Not Responding' error in the Header bar!
I am now completely at a loss and really need to get this all working again as I've just started on the MTP with Ivan!!!
mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 21 2010, 04:46 PM
sad.gif .

May be best to file a bug report with both Jason at Cockos/Reaper and also with Fastrack SJ. Jason is usually very quick at responding and is very helpful.

Also just to get you round the MTP recording bit - maybe use a different app until it's sorted out.

If you need to maybe Audacity here. Whilst not really a recording daw (it's a wave editor that can do some recording but can't use vsts) it is free...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 21 2010, 05:10 PM
I think I'll do that Tony! I've looked all through the Reaper Forums and can't find any similar problem threads, not with my model of Fast Track at least!
I'd just re-installled Audacity just in case I couldn't find a fix for this quickly!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 21 2010, 05:21 PM
TBH you may get a faster response from Cockos/Reaper than m-audio. M-audio have a bit of a reputation for slow release of bug fixes etc....

If it helps here's a link to the official fastrack forum. They seem to have a possible fix for a connection issue with the Ultra...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 21 2010, 06:13 PM
One other thing looking at your crash report SJ - you're on V 3.1.x of Reaper - maybe try an update to 3.35 just in case any of the bug fixes may have sorted out the issue...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 21 2010, 06:47 PM
Tried the updated version already Tony! I went back to the 3.15 version just to see if it made any difference but it didn't!
I've just followed those instructions from the M-Audio thread, so I've cleared any M-audio folders, re-boot, re-instaled Reaper (v3.35) and still get the same thing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 21 2010, 06:52 PM
Ummmm - I wonder if the dll didn't do a clean uninstall and has left a ghost on your system. I'll see if I've got something to check for you - if I have I'll pm it to you.

In the mean time - can you post up your pc configuration (mobo, amount of ram, cpu, and operating system) and which version of Fast track you're using please SJ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 21 2010, 07:29 PM
Hope this is what you want Tony:-

Mobo = MS-7199 mini ITX
Ram = 1Gb
Cpu = 1GHz
OS = XP Pro.
FT Driver = FastTrack_6_0_2_5_10_0_5133. It was the only one on the M-Audio site relevant to the Fast Track.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 21 2010, 07:32 PM
SJ,
XP - 32 or 64 and Fastrack Ultra or? ie which model...
Tnx,
T

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 21 2010, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 21 2010, 06:32 PM) *
SJ,
XP - 32 or 64 and Fastrack Ultra or? ie which model...
Tnx,
T

Sorry Tony,
XP 32 and it's just called the Fast Track usb. It's the bottom end one, not the Pro or the Ultra or anything...
HERE'S the manual.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 22 2010, 02:16 PM
OK lets start at the beginning assuming no ghost/hang over dlls are on your PC SJ...

First.
Confirm that you don't have any problem hardware devices showing under the 'Hardware' tab (via Control panel etc as above).
If you haven't then windows should be seeing the Fast Track ok and not seeing any conflicts.

Second - Audacity
Will Audacity work with Fasttrack? If it does then FT is partly ok. However, Audacity isn't an ASIO/ASIO2 device by standard - so it'll will see the FT via the WDM audio dll. So this doesn't confirm that FT is working ok with ASIO/ASIO2.

Note - you may need to set the audio i/o preference to wdm in Audacity for this to work - depends partly on how good FT's pNp really is ;-).

Third - Reaper
If the FT is ok in wdm lets check Reaper.

First
---------------------
open Reaper in 'safe' mode. Go to 'Start>All Programs>Reaper>Create new project.
This opens Reaper without loading any existing project data/files. If Reaper doesn't hang on start up then the problem is in your last project - there's a corrupt file or something.

Crash - looks like a corrupt project file for your most recent project. Open in safe, create a new clean project, save and it should now work.
No crash- If it does open ok then it's probably worth making sure that its audio settings match the FT. FT is either 44.1 or 48 (check how you've configured FT - should tell you on an info page) and 24 bit. In Reaper go to Options>Preferences>Audio>Device. Set the Audio System as WDM and the i/o as the FT, Sample format to 24 bit and the sample rate as either 44100 or 48000 and click ok.

-----------------------

Launch Reaper normally. No crash - WDM is working ok.
Crash - there's a corrupt Reaper.ini file (we'll come to that is necessary.)

If Reaper launches ok then try resetting the audio system in Reaper Preferences now to ASIO, save and relaunch.

No crash - dance around the room celebrating as things should now be ok. (Still somethings to do but we're nearly there.)

Crash - its an ASIO issue. and we'll look at that if and when...

------------------------

Let me know how things go with the above and we'll take it from there...

T

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Mar 22 2010, 02:26 PM
Reason for edit: added some more info

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:45 AM