Mini/portable Recorders, any good?
Marc_Maiden
Feb 4 2009, 10:59 PM
GMC:er
ive been looking for ways to get my amps sound to my computer...the toneport just isnt doing it for me right and i want to get my new set ups sound into the computer!

so ive been looking at solutionns (becaue i cant really afford the whole mic/fast track/mixer set up)

on craigslist i found some deals on stuff like the boss micro br recorder and an old korg pandora recorder and was wondering if these things are worth getting?

i know they come with mics, but could i connect to the amp and get that sound directly?

or any other solutions for recording will be welcome! (i use a toneport GX now)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 5 2009, 12:02 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm if you are planning to record your amps sound (using microphone) why don't you buy a good microphone and plug it into the GX ??

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Feb 5 2009, 01:11 AM
toneport gx does noth ave an xlr input

and im trying to save money, but i guess illl hold off on it until i can afford a mic/fast track

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 5 2009, 02:12 AM
Instructor
How much money do you have mate? I can then tell you immediately what you need..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 5 2009, 02:37 AM
Instructor
Hm I don't know if buying equipment might be best solution. Have you tried finding some VST's and cleaning up your amp sound, or adding things in after mix ?

That might definitely help + you save money smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Feb 5 2009, 06:53 AM
i was looking at $100-$150 but it might be too little huh?

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 5 2009, 11:59 AM
Instructor
Since you already have Toneport GX, and if you really need to record the sound from your amp, I would advise to get a microphone+cheap mic preamp. Here's the recommendation:

1. Microphone - Shure SM57
This is the industry standard microphone for guitar amp recordings, and it can be used for vocals as well. It costs 99$ at sweetwater (they have a free shipping and are great company).
Shure SM57

2. Mic Preamp - ART TubeMP
This tube preamp looks like a good deal to me (if you're tight on a budget I would advise possibly Behringer MIC100). It's sturdy looking and ART brand I think will ensure that the quality is decent enough. Price is 49$ on sweetwater (again free sheeping).
ART TubeMP

So these 2 things are basically what you need. You will also need to buy 2 more cables,
1. from mic to preamp

Hosa XRR-115 15 feet cable - $10.69

2. from preamp to Toneport GX.

Hosa CFS106 - $2.99 on Sweetwater

Another optional thing to get is a stand for the SM57 mic. I say option cause you could use only the mic and improvise the stand, but I think stand is a small price to pay. Here's a cool one from Sweetwater that costs only 13$:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicStdDesk/

At a roughly 175$ you will get a pro equipment for recording your guitar amp, and I think this equipment can later comfortably be used with a better audio interface. But GX will do the job nicely, and if you consider buying this, let us know, and we will give you some advices how to properly mic your amp.

All the best mate, cheers! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Feb 5 2009, 04:27 PM
wow i didnt realize i could get that stuff that cheap...i thought it was going to be 2x that stuff! thanks for the tips...im probably going to invest in this soon...

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 5 2009, 05:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'd assume by tube mic pre - you mean a mic preamp based on vacuum tubes? Tube preamps - rather like tube guitar amps - are generally considered to offer a warmer and more musical sound to a solid state preamp. As an example Neves and Chandler were tube based whereas SSL made their fortune and reputation on solid state. The former tend to be more synonomous with a warm sound whereas the latter can be heard on an awful of of late 80s and 90s electronic and dance.

A good tube pre-amp will set you back easily more then 1500US dollars. As it stands people are still more then willing to pay a lot of money for vintage tube pre amps.

However if you mean a preamp for a vacuum tube microphone . Vac tube mics need both a separate power supply and often more gain then a dynamic mic. Whilst the mic should be supplied with the power supply any preamp that needs to feed a vac mic may need to take additional gain required. In that case you may need a pre that can deliver up to 60dB gain. This tends to be more true of the older tube mics - newer ones from the likes of Rode probably can be run off a standard preamp's gain range.

Cheers,
Tony

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Feb 5 2009, 11:36 PM
Reason for edit: mixing up former and latter

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 5 2009, 08:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Feb 5 2009, 04:27 PM) *
wow i didnt realize i could get that stuff that cheap...i thought it was going to be 2x that stuff! thanks for the tips...im probably going to invest in this soon...

No prob mate, and if you get it, feel free to experiment or ask any questions regarding micing the amp. We will help gladly! smile.gif

QUOTE (VictorUK @ Feb 5 2009, 04:48 PM) *
Anyone know the difference between tube mic pre-amps and something like the m-audio fast track wich is ss? or are they completely different things?

Victor.

I agree with tony, tube preamps have bit warmer and natural sound to them. The reason people use high end solid state preamps as well is that they offer very little coloration of the microphone signal, so who really needs that he will reach for a SS preamp. Who likes the warmth and added coloration he can get a tube preamp. With the low end preamps it doesn't really matter that much cause the sound quality is not the best, but when you have a 4000$ Neumman mic and recording in a top notch studio you want the best possible preamp available. Then it is all about personal preferences of the producer, artist or sound engeneer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 6 2009, 01:08 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Feb 5 2009, 01:11 AM) *
toneport gx does noth ave an xlr input

and im trying to save money, but i guess illl hold off on it until i can afford a mic/fast track

Hey , you just need an adapter from XLR to 1/4 inch jack and you can use Microphone on your GX...Its designed for that also , http://line6.com/podstudiogx/specifications.html

I would just get a good mic for recording amp - like sm57 and go straight to GX...ITs the cheapest option..You don't need fast track for Mic use..Toneport GX is designed to record Guitar/Bass and Mic....

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 6 2009, 01:39 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
What amp have you got? Some amps, even tube ones, offers a possibility to line the preamp into a mixer or soundcard.

There's also a possibility to patch a DI box (see Redbox from H&K) in between the amp and the speaker. In the first example above you're hearing the preamp. In the second you're hearing the poweramp. The Redbox has a cabinet simulator.

A couple of options to miking. These can sound very real and it's easier and quicker than setting up a mike right.
Miking like Ivan describes is the pro way to go though wink.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 6 2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor
I'm with Ivan on this one, a mic+pre-amp setup is better since it's more flexible, the recording options on those micro recorders might sometimes be very limited.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Feb 6 2009, 07:39 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 5 2009, 04:39 PM) *
What amp have you got? Some amps, even tube ones, offers a possibility to line the preamp into a mixer or soundcard.

There's also a possibility to patch a DI box (see Redbox from H&K) in between the amp and the speaker. In the first example above you're hearing the preamp. In the second you're hearing the poweramp. The Redbox has a cabinet simulator.

A couple of options to miking. These can sound very real and it's easier and quicker than setting up a mike right.
Miking like Ivan describes is the pro way to go though wink.gif

im going to go the Ivan way...its not nearly as expensive as i thought so itll be good

I "can" hook the pre amp directly to the tone port...the problem is the sound i get is very...eh...compressed? i love the sound of the pre amp of my amp with the speakers...i just can beat...it packs a lot of punch...im going to do a video review of it this sunday actually and ill compare it to my toneport and what not

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
jdriver
Feb 6 2009, 07:51 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 5 2009, 04:59 AM) *
Price is 49$ on sweetwater (again free sheeping).

I don't think we're supposed to discuss sheeping in the forums. wink.gif

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Feb 6 2009, 07:54 AM
POD! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 6 2009, 12:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jdriver @ Feb 6 2009, 07:51 AM) *
I don't think we're supposed to discuss sheeping in the forums. wink.gif

Did I wrote sheeping? unsure.gif I meant shipping biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 6 2009, 04:31 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 6 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Did I wrote sheeping? unsure.gif I meant shipping biggrin.gif

Or did you mean 'Shipping Sheep'????
tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:49 AM