Medfish Composing First Approach
Darius Wave
Apr 11 2013, 01:18 PM
Instructor
Ok. So I think there is no better idea than start working on Your first composition with my help smile.gif For the beginning I need to know what is Your software backilne and skills. Are You available to programme VST drums, do the multitrack recordings etc?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Madfish
Apr 11 2013, 09:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 11 2013, 12:18 PM) *
Ok. So I think there is no better idea than start working on Your first composition with my help smile.gif For the beginning I need to know what is Your software backilne and skills. Are You available to programme VST drums, do the multitrack recordings etc?

Yay! How exciting! biggrin.gif
Multitrack recordings - yes. I already have some experience recording with Reaper + Amplitube.
Never done any VST drums before.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 12 2013, 12:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Madfish @ Apr 11 2013, 09:40 PM) *
Yay! How exciting! biggrin.gif
Multitrack recordings - yes. I already have some experience recording with Reaper + Amplitube.
Never done any VST drums before.

Great! I can record some bass tracks for You but You have to fing some vst drum machine and quickly learn how to draw in MIDI smile.gif That's a "must" and it will profit in Your future projects smile.gif

One of the best at the market is EZDrummer...and the basic version would be ok for the first steps. Samples have descent sound and it's pretty simple to configure.

Let me know if You can handle this and if You need my help configuring and making first steps with vst drums.

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Apr 12 2013, 09:51 AM

+Quote Post
Madfish
Apr 12 2013, 11:52 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 11 2013, 11:23 PM) *
Great! I can record some bass tracks for You but You have to fing some vst drum machine and quickly learn how to draw in MIDI smile.gif That's a "must" and it will profit in Your future projects smile.gif

One of the best at the market is EZDrummer...and the basic version would be ok for the first steps. Samples have descent sound and it's pretty simple to configure.

Let me know if You can handle this and if You need my help configuring and making first steps with vst drums.

I already got myself the free version of Addictive Drums and wired it into Reaper. Is that OK as well?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 12 2013, 12:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Madfish @ Apr 12 2013, 11:52 AM) *
I already got myself the free version of Addictive Drums and wired it into Reaper. Is that OK as well?

Yeah - that's also cool smile.gif Now...let's do the very first steps. There are maaaany ways to compose song. Sometimes it's melody first, sometimes few nice sounding chords, sometimes doing an arrangement for one cool riff. I would like You to try the way that usually works best for me.

Keep in mind that whatever You can do - how fast You are, how tricky things You play and how precise it's worth not much if there is no music in it so...When I try to compose I start from....not having guitar in my hands.

I suggest to try one of my methods to do the first song:

1. For easier work on later tasks We could Use well know A-minor (natural minor) scale.

2. I would like You to hit the A-minor chord (no chord progression - that is important) than play A-minor scale from the 5th fret (3 notes per string on every string) You will make yourself familiar with the notes We will Use.

3. Now THE MOST IMPORTANT! - try to imagine Yourself a simple, vocal-like melody that fit A-minor notes. Those can be some 3 notes patterns with different endings, Don't try to think about it as a guitar solo - think of music, think of What You would sing through it if You would be a singer....You can use "la la la" method smile.gif)). It would be great if You first record Your singing a than find those notes within A-minor scale.

4. Try to Make 2 different melodies - one for the verse and one for the chorus. Try to make some contrast and a little "more power" feel for the chorus melody. Once remember - at this level You are not a guitar player - You only use guitar to find the notes, that are in Your head

Imagination has no limits...no scales, no need of knowing the fretboard and no need of knowing any music theory...we try to bring out something from a limitless source - our brain smile.gif

5. You can "hear" the backing chords in Your imagination while singing - it's pretty obvious that melody will not work as a stand alone but...stop Yourself from finding the chords at this level. There is too much risk of using something You already played an something that is very obvious.

6. Hit the A-minor to make shure You're searching in the correct field.

7. You can use tap tempo to define the beat of Your melody
http://www.analogmix.com/tap-tempo-finder/ scroll down - there is a free a tap tempo meter - just hit with same freq as You would hit the floor with Your foot while feeling the groove of Your melody.

8. Set the displayed tempo on any metronome

9. If You have the recording o sang melody, play it and find those notes withing A-minor scale (You can use GMC scale generator)

10. Tell me the tempo and send me trakcs of both melodies with no backign tracks, no articulation (just a simple notes - no bends, slides etc...at this level You're a MIDI machine, will get to the articulation and will progress the solo section as a one of the final moments)

11. Don't avoid things that sounds like "I heard that beofre". This is how melodies are created. The base on what we have heard in music through whole our live. Many times You can caught Yourself doing a mix of a few melodies that already semms to sound "well known" for You. Don't try to run from this. It's a kind of natural way of what people consider being melodic. Of course...there are some geniuses that makes very uniqe melodies but that's the "hard level of composing" and not to be work on for now smile.gif

Give me those melodies and will progress them

Waiting for Your recording smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Apr 25 2013, 12:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here it is. I'm a human MIDI machine biggrin.gif Tempo is 130.
Will that do?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  verse.mp3 ( 630.61K ) Number of downloads: 157
Attached File  chorus.mp3 ( 630.61K ) Number of downloads: 148

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 25 2013, 01:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Madfish @ Apr 25 2013, 12:30 PM) *
Here it is. I'm a human MIDI machine biggrin.gif Tempo is 130.
Will that do?

Ok that is exactly what I meant smile.gif Now is a moment where the fun begins smile.gif We need a harmony backing and to be honest - there are no limitations. Let's do a few variations and then we'll decide which one would be the best.

First idea would be to post here the very first chords You think they fit this melody in a particular order - write them into bars to show me when they change. At this point we don't use theory but simply use our musicial feel. Very often the very first idea seems to work best but further You can experiment with the harmony to make shure the choice is best.

At this point give me Your very first chord progression and then I'll show You some ideas. You can also write down simple chords (with no added intervals) - all that contains notes from the A natural minor scale.

+Quote Post
Madfish
May 7 2013, 06:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 25 2013, 12:28 PM) *
At this point give me Your very first chord progression and then I'll show You some ideas. You can also write down simple chords (with no added intervals) - all that contains notes from the A natural minor scale.

Ok, here it goes:
verse F, Am, Dm, Dm
chorus F, Am, C, Dm, F, Am, C, G
That's more or less what I can hear. My chorus has a very weird timing. Think I should fix that smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 8 2013, 09:28 AM
Instructor
Ok...first idea is done smile.gif Try to record both - melody and backing guitar. Feel free to choose the rhythm You like for it. Upload Your results. Now...experiment:

Try to write down as manyl chords as possible. Chords available for A-minor what means that none of them should contain any other notes than A,B,C,D,E,F,G.

Now...let's do some test. Build a chord in which first note of melody would be a 9th , 7th or 4# (tritone) to the chord root note.

Example:

Long note in melody is an E. Find the name of the note that would be 9th down from the E (in this case it's D ). So the full chord would be D9 but....we have to decide would it be minor or major. At this point compare to the notes from A-minor and You'll know that it has to be D-minor add9 or D-minor 9 because D-minor = D F A (D-major = D F# A....F# is not a note from A-minor scale)

If something is not clear just ask smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 23 2013, 03:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 8 2013, 08:28 AM) *
Ok...first idea is done smile.gif Try to record both - melody and backing guitar. Feel free to choose the rhythm You like for it. Upload Your results.

Hey. I'm getting there, although extremely slowly. Recorded the verse with a simple backing: Attached File  excersize.mp3 ( 925.51K ) Number of downloads: 172

Right now I'm doing the experiments you mentioned.

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 23 2013, 10:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey,
I recorded everything with the chords in the back. I modified the melody a little bit as well: Attached File  excersize2.mp3 ( 1.46MB ) Number of downloads: 160

In one place I did the experiment you suggested, but instead of G7 I decided to go with Gm7. Don't know why, but it sounds better for me.

Is this good enough?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 24 2013, 08:17 AM
Instructor
Great 2 example! This is very good ! Now write down Your new, full chord progression. Also it's time to make a decission would it a be a clean tone ballad or were gonna do a rock, distortion ballad out of this? What do You choose ?smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 24 2013, 10:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks smile.gif

The final progression looks like this:
verse: Dm Am Dm Dm | Dm Am Dm Dm
chorus: G, Am, C, Gm7 | G, Am, C, G

I'd rather go with a rocky - distorted sound.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 25 2013, 02:23 AM
Instructor
Ok. So what we need to prepare is a session with a drums and emulated bass. You can USe 4Fron bass (find via google it's free).
Play Set the tempo and try to record it with no additional modifications. We'll do them soon (Thinking about too much things at the same time can make some confusion).

One more Thing. Check the Key we were trying to work on and re-check the notes of each new chord . Write them down and write Your observations smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 26 2013, 02:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 25 2013, 01:23 AM) *
Ok. So what we need to prepare is a session with a drums and emulated bass. You can USe 4Fron bass (find via google it's free).
Play Set the tempo and try to record it with no additional modifications. We'll do them soon (Thinking about too much things at the same time can make some confusion).

On it. Will get back to you with a basic bass track soon.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 25 2013, 01:23 AM) *
One more Thing. Check the Key we were trying to work on and re-check the notes of each new chord . Write them down and write Your observations smile.gif

Dm - D, F, A
Am - A, C, E
G - G, B, D
C - C, E, G
Gm7 - G, A#, D, F

There is very little of A note in the chorus part of the backing. It is G Mixolydian, isn't it?

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jul 26 2013, 02:14 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 26 2013, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Madfish @ Jul 26 2013, 01:13 PM) *
On it. Will get back to you with a basic bass track soon.

Dm - D, F, A
Am - A, C, E
G - G, B, D
C - C, E, G
Gm7 - G, A#, D, F

There is very little of A note in the chorus part of the backing. It is G Mixolydian, isn't it?

I was just trying to say that while doing this experiment with harmony and confirmation by the ear You just naturally created some outside smile.gif

Gm7 is chord with Bb (not A# - name is cause by the way we write down the notes) This note doesn't belong to A minor but it's ok to have a chord with outside. You just need to remember about the single note (BB instead of cool.gif every time You improvise and th Gm7 comes in the backing smile.gif

Nope...this won't be mixolydian. This will be G dorian mode smile.gif G A Bb C D E F G smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 28 2013, 10:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey,
Here is the bass track: Attached File  bass.mp3 ( 1.43MB ) Number of downloads: 167

Is that more or less what you meant?

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jul 28 2013, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 29 2013, 10:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Madfish @ Jul 28 2013, 09:44 PM) *
Hey,
Here is the bass track: Attached File  bass.mp3 ( 1.43MB ) Number of downloads: 167

Is that more or less what you meant?

Please record guitar playing chords with bass and simple drums groove...it would be much easier to work this way smile.gif

Little tip for the bass. To make it more melodic and sit well in the arrange very often bass players play different note from the chord. For example when the chords are G and D...they play G and F# (major 3rd from the D) so when for example next chord is E minor, than You'll have smooth melody in bass section - G F# E. Otherwise You make a huge skip from G to D on the nex string and this not always sound cool smile.gif

+Quote Post
Madfish
Aug 24 2013, 10:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Darius,
In the meantime I started working on https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...t-Hand-Workout/ to improve my right hand.
Could you take a look at my slow tempo rec and drop me some comments/hints?

I know there are lot's of timing issues :/ Anything else that I am doing wrong? smile.gif
Thank you!

PS. The bass track recording is coming soon smile.gif

This post has been edited by Madfish: Aug 24 2013, 10:46 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 25 2013, 01:24 AM
Instructor
Ok...so let me start from some very basic tips smile.gif Metal = bridge pickup position in 99% cases smile.gif That's why many metal players have only bridge pickup in their guitars biggrin.gif You tone is way too muddy but party it's a fault of switch position. Keep that in mind smile.gif Also...if it's possible try to record vids in the daylight so the camera could have lower lightening time and Your movements will be more clear smile.gif Try to change this and we'll see how can I help You with this metal rhythm smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:51 PM