The Tables Have Turned, parents vs music
purple hayes
Jan 4 2010, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Back in my teens and early 20s, I was sure I was going to be able to make all the money I needed through music. I'd be in a popular rock band and we'd play shows and I'd get a pay check. My parents encouraged me to make sure I had something solid "to fall back on" in case my plan of fame and fortune didn't work out. I played some shows and gave a few lessons, but never made much (almost no) money.

Life ended up getting in the way and I quit playing guitar in order to raise a family. To me, there was no balance between kids and guitar, it was either one or the other and the kids won. cool.gif

A few years ago, I picked up the guitar again and joined GMC. I think I've made some decent progress, but I've still got a lot to learn and my confidence level is kinda low.

Now, it turns out, my parents are encouraging me to try to make money of my musical 'talents' and that I'm wasting my time at a day job.

laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 4 2010, 07:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (purple hayes @ Jan 4 2010, 07:24 PM) *
Back in my teens and early 20s, I was sure I was going to be able to make all the money I needed through music. I'd be in a popular rock band and we'd play shows and I'd get a pay check. My parents encouraged me to make sure I had something solid "to fall back on" in case my plan of fame and fortune didn't work out. I played some shows and gave a few lessons, but never made much (almost no) money.

Life ended up getting in the way and I quit playing guitar in order to raise a family. To me, there was no balance between kids and guitar, it was either one or the other and the kids won. cool.gif

A few years ago, I picked up the guitar again and joined GMC. I think I've made some decent progress, but I've still got a lot to learn and my confidence level is kinda low.

Now, it turns out, my parents are encouraging me to try to make money of my musical 'talents' and that I'm wasting my time at a day job.

laugh.gif
Now that is PRICELESS. My Mom always said I was "wasting" my time with guitar and said I practiced to much. Now when she comes over to visit she begs me to play..... smile.gif I'll never make a dime off of music but it sure is a great release and a lot of fun....... smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 4 2010, 08:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
Same with my mother, but I still refuses to play when she's around, cause then she begans to SING, and my mother is TOTALLY out of tune... laugh.gif (the musicianship was on my fathers side.....)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Artemus
Jan 4 2010, 09:40 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I can relate to this a lot, especially in my current circumstance.
Although my parents were very supportive of all my endeavours (the good ones that is) and were the ones that paid for all my music lessons and such, the mentality of gaining an education in a professional field was prevalent, i.e. be a doctor or a lawyer etc (even a priest at one time lol!). I could always fall back on my music "hobby" later and devote time to playing when I could afford everything else
So after years of studying science at college and university I'm having a hard time finding work in my field and have considered paying attention to my musical background and teaching, with thoughts of going to music school. If I was teaching full time, I'd be earning more than I've ever made as a scientist! In the UK at least and particularly during the current economic climate.
What's more surprising to me is the amount of support and encouragement I've received in this regard from my mum, as well as others.
Whilst I'm not prepared to ditch everything I've done over the last decade and change career on a whim, which would just be a ludicrous folly, the tables do seem to have turned from when I was told "music won't put food on the table, all the money is in science/medicine" to "oh you're a wonderful pianist, I'll help get through music school"
A part of me just thinks huh.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 4 2010, 09:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Artemus @ Jan 4 2010, 09:40 PM) *
I can relate to this a lot, especially in my current circumstance.
Although my parents were very supportive of all my endeavours (the good ones that is) and were the ones that paid for all my music lessons and such, the mentality of gaining an education in a professional field was prevalent, i.e. be a doctor or a lawyer etc (even a priest at one time lol!). I could always fall back on my music "hobby" later and devote time to playing when I could afford everything else
So after years of studying science at college and university I'm having a hard time finding work in my field and have considered paying attention to my musical background and teaching, with thoughts of going to music school. If I was teaching full time, I'd be earning more than I've ever made as a scientist! In the UK at least and particularly during the current economic climate.
What's more surprising to me is the amount of support and encouragement I've received in this regard from my mum, as well as others.
Whilst I'm not prepared to ditch everything I've done over the last decade and change career on a whim, which would just be a ludicrous folly, the tables do seem to have turned from when I was told "music won't put food on the table, all the money is in science/medicine" to "oh you're a wonderful pianist, I'll help get through music school"
A part of me just thinks huh.gif

As a Dentist I can tell you that the medical field is not at "lucrative" as everybody thinks it is and especially not as much as it was say 20 or even 10 years ago. Especially when you take into consideration that the average indebtedness for a dental or medical student right now is almost 300k!!!! huh.gif I will say that it is somewhat secure......at least as secure as anything is in this economy......

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 5 2010, 01:03 AM
Instructor
I hear you mate. My family is very supportive in general, but they always give advices and questions about when I'm going to "find a job". I guess they are trying to check up on me from time to time, just to see if I'm "bored with music" - what chances are for that?? well, you never know... but... still laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 5 2010, 01:24 AM
Instructor
that's really funny that they are asking you to consider a musical career now biggrin.gif I was speaking with some people the other day and they were engineers, doctors and they were as unstable as anything. Economy has changed, imo. And besides it doesn't work to be one single thing anymore. I don't know why our societies have made so specialized in one single thing. You are a doctor, you are a lawyer, you are a guitarist. Ok yeah, but we're not only that.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 5 2010, 03:44 PM
Instructor
Great turn of events Hayes, you should consider doing it full time - why not ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:49 PM