> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Bullet For My Valentine Style, Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Pai
Oct 4 2016, 08:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Bullet For My Valentine Style by Gabriel Leopardi

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 6 2016, 01:16 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

First of all your tone - it sound a little weird - it has some fizzy treble end, yet it does not have the high midrande that cuts through the mix and make all those runs sound percussive. It sort of sounds like with treble roll off on your guitar or a bright tone setup for neck pickup instead of bridge (while it looks and sounds like bridge at some points) Please recheck those few things. For Hard Rock and MEtal we essentially just set everything to max, to get full range of frequency and volume out of guitar. This way we get purest articulation adn dynamics response.

Timing - I would say 50/50 in this take. At some points you tend to ruch or go behind the beat.

In the lick at 0:14 you need to improve the legato ornament. Review your left hand fingering for this lick. Legato is not strong enough so it disappears after picking notes and the final note of this run is sort of missing

0:15 this strumming part works fine. Your hand look relaxed and natural. Your left hand shape and muting job are great - those octaves sound clean and clear.

Part from 0:25 - this part make me think of a few things. It doesn't cut through the mix. You should try to set a different tone for sure, because it has to cut through not only drums and bass, but also through backing guitars which are focused in the midrange. Cutting some lows and adding some high midrange - 1-3kHz will make your guitar cut through them and not having conflict with backing guitars at the same time.

0:41 lick - you could try to find better angle for your left hand so you won't have to move your index and middle finger that much. As you can hear, moving them causes pressure change and it affects the pitch - sound a little out of tune. Notice that Gabriel has a constant elbow distance from his body while playign this. You do "strum" your elbow and it causes this tune thing to happen.

0:45 - this powerchord is not solid enough. IT looks like you did not make it to put full shape and one note is cutting thourhg much more than the others

0:51 - that's the part where mentioned timing problems starts to be most visible.

Those are a few things to review but of course there are good things like your one direction picking ability at this speed, and good control of unwanted noises. Overall take is sounding good. Timing issues are minor. Well done!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 8 2016, 10:49 AM
Instructor
Hello Pai. You've got some good feedback from Darius, very detailed.

There's a couple of things I'd add to that as well.

- Palm muting: In some areas, you need to use more palm muting because the notes are not being separated enough. The riffing that starts at 0:26 lacks the chunky quality of Gabriel's version. This is due to a lack of palm muting as well as the tone that you're using.

-Hammer-on / Pull-off lick: Observe the hammer / pull lick that first occurs at 0:53. I think you're doing the hammer-ons well but the pull-offs are not being played clearly enough or they are being rushed.

Overall your technique is quite good but you need to work on your hammer-on and pull-off technique first of all smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 10 2016, 03:23 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, cool to find this lesson at REC! smile.gif

I think that both Ben and Darius have marked the most important things that you need to work on this lesson. In order to summarise them, I would say that you need to fix or focus on: tone, timing, dynamics (intensity of your picking) and legato.

This can sound like a lot, but I think that if you work focusing on 1 element at a time, you'll be able to fix most of them very quickly. Maybe, you could try practising with one of the slower backing tracks.

For the legato licks, I recommend you to isolate them and practice as loops in order to train your left hand. You can also combine them with other legato lessons from the site. (Write me if you need help).

Keep on rocking!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 11 2016, 10:38 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:23 AM