Repalcing Volume/tone Pots...questions
GuitarMonkey
Sep 30 2009, 12:54 PM
GMC:er
I want to upgrade my volume and tone pots on my Les Paul copy. I do not know the diff between 250k, and 500k..etc. Which is which?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 30 2009, 01:26 PM
A general rule is:-
250K for use with Single Coils and 500K for Humbuckers.
Is your Les Paul Humbuckers or P 90 style?

Just to confuse things a little more.. some Ibanez models are installed with 1000K (1Meg) pots!

Why are you thinking of changing them??
Depending on what you are trying to achieve with your sound it might be more easily solved some other way!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Give us as much info as you can and what you want to achieve and we'll try to sort it out!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 30 2009, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Yeah Jones is right, 500K pot is for humbuckers, should do the job nicely.

(16000 posts breached with this post biggrin.gif )

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 30 2009, 09:20 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 1 2009, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 30 2009, 09:20 PM) *
(16000 posts breached with this post biggrin.gif )

You da MAN!!!!!
Congrats mate!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Oct 1 2009, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 30 2009, 06:26 AM) *
A general rule is:-
250K for use with Single Coils and 500K for Humbuckers.
Is your Les Paul Humbuckers or P 90 style?

Just to confuse things a little more.. some Ibanez models are installed with 1000K (1Meg) pots!

Why are you thinking of changing them??
Depending on what you are trying to achieve with your sound it might be more easily solved some other way!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Give us as much info as you can and what you want to achieve and we'll try to sort it out!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. I'm not really changing them to change my sound. The stock ones are a little rough..just wanted to put in some better quality ones. I used some contact cleaner on them, but still too rough and a lot of noise. Umm, the 500k is for both volume and tone??

This post has been edited by GuitarMonkey: Oct 1 2009, 11:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 2 2009, 12:22 AM
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Oct 1 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Thanks for the info. I'm not really changing them to change my sound. The stock ones are a little rough..just wanted to put in some better quality ones. I used some contact cleaner on them, but still too rough and a lot of noise. Umm, the 500k is for both volume and tone??

Yep, 500K for both. When you talk about 'noise/hum' it may be worth thinking of 'shielding' the control cavity to minimise 'outside' interference which is a main cause of background noise!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 2 2009, 09:22 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Oct 2 2009, 12:54 AM) *

Any 500k pot goes but mind there's a difference in linear and logarithmic tuning of the pots.
Linear will make just that, a linear change to sound or tone depending on what you look to achive.
Logarithmic pot will apply such (log) an increase in signal.

A500 is Audio, log
B500 is linear

And mid that the splines can be metric or inch, depending on the knobs you want to fit.

+Quote Post
OzRob
Oct 2 2009, 09:36 AM
QUOTE (GuitarMonkey @ Sep 30 2009, 09:54 PM) *
I want to upgrade my volume and tone pots on my Les Paul copy. I do not know the diff between 250k, and 500k..etc. Which is which?

To add depth to the answers you've already been given, check out this discussion:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/i...hp/t-59038.html

I actually have a 250k on my bridge Dimarzio Evolution. Installed in a small, light, 'bright' guitar, the Evolution is very hot and sharp and the 250k takes a little of the edge off, making it slightly warmer.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Oct 3 2009, 11:01 PM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Oct 2 2009, 02:36 AM) *
To add depth to the answers you've already been given, check out this discussion:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/i...hp/t-59038.html

I actually have a 250k on my bridge Dimarzio Evolution. Installed in a small, light, 'bright' guitar, the Evolution is very hot and sharp and the 250k takes a little of the edge off, making it slightly warmer.

Great advice. I'll look into your advice further. Thanks to ALL of you.

This post has been edited by GuitarMonkey: Oct 3 2009, 11:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:57 PM