> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner's Corner 14: Minor Pentatonic Scale, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Mudbone
Oct 23 2015, 04:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 14: Minor Pentatonic Scale by Bear Rose

So I've realized that there are two things I really need to work on - picking hand technique and timing. I chose this lesson because it's really simple, and I can focus on picking and timing instead of learning the melodies and rhythm of a song.

In this lesson I wanted to focus on picking while my unused digits are curled up and out of the way. I want to break away from playing with my fingers anchored on the pickguard.

It's a bit of a departure from the face-smashing metal that I love to do. However, I've already noticed a positive effect on my playing after focusing on this picking technique while playing clean.

Also, I've gotten so used to reliable metal timing (kick! snare! kick! snare!) that I have issues with playing along with a less prominent beat. This lesson has helped me with that.

I'm also posting this after having a few beers. It sounds brilliant right now, but we'll see how it sounds in the morning! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Oct 23 2015, 04:21 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2015, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Hi Mudbone!

This is a good plan. I've shared this lesson at the timing workout as an assignment because I consider it's really helpful to train this element so it's a wise choice.

Your work on this lesson is on the right track. You play tight many parts of it while there are some sections where you tend to play notes or short phrases a bit before the beat, so continue practicing it with this in mind.

A little detail about your picking. I notice that your way of holding the pick isn't the most effective. You are not using the tip of your thumb to do it, it's slightly moved to your left and that lowers precision when picking. This details can give problems when playing trickier alternate picking licks.

Ok mate, keep on with this positive and motivated attitude!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 25 2015, 05:18 PM
Instructor
Hey there! First impression is good (at least the beginning of the lesson) You play tight and timming is proper. The closer to the end, the more timming strats to go off the beat. Good things to notice are your playing confidence and solid pick grip that helps you deliver proper amount of strength on each stroke.

As for your pick holding method I think it's quite subjective. You hold it with a thumb and side of your right index just like most of us do. It looks like at some points you slightly loose a control of pick placement in your fingers. It might take some time to get used to. Remember - you can also change the angle of a pick when you switch to another string.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 5 2015, 08:56 AM
Instructor
Hi Mudders! It's good to see you working improving timing and coordination.

You do have a tendency towards playing in front of the beat but this is most apparent in the last two shapes of each repetition. It could be the picking between the top E and B that's throwing you out there so try to nail those last two shapes down and the whole thing will sound tighter.

As you've said, you're working on trying to rely less on anchoring with your fingers. See how it goes but don't feel disconcerted if you do find yourself veering towards anchoring again. I let my fingers relax and touch the guitar even when playing slower stuff like this. I only tend to float my hand when playing rhythm or strumming or if I'm wanting to add extra attitude to something when soloing.

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 5 2015, 05:43 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:10 PM