Jul 31 2015, 10:57 AM
GMC:er
here is my attempt at Muris Alternate Workout

embedded yotube

youtube link
vid link at youtube

This attempt is at 80 bpm
original tempo - 130 bpm

the main help i am asking here is that the final tempo is so fast that its almost discouraging. what can i do to reach such tempo while maintaining accuracy. Instructors can you please refer me to some speed building exercises so that i can complete this lesson faster.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 31 2015, 11:36 AM
Learning Roadie
hi

even if you cannot reach the original speed, this lesson is a good exercice about speed and pattern work.

i work on since some weeks too, i can do it at almost 90-100bpm, but for me full speed in not the main goal !

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jul 31 2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi

I think you learn too quickly,.
Decrease is 50 %, when it will be easy your playing will be smooth.
Later increase has 60 %...
Increase the tempo day by day and you will make a success...

Slow but sure ;-)

+Quote Post
sumitguitargmc1
Jul 31 2015, 12:46 PM
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 31 2015, 10:36 AM) *
hi

even if you cannot reach the original speed, this lesson is a good exercice about speed and pattern work.

i work on since some weeks too, i can do it at almost 90-100bpm, but for me full speed in not the main goal !

Laurent

ok bro, thanks.

QUOTE (MisterM @ Jul 31 2015, 11:32 AM) *
Hi

I think you learn too quickly,.
Decrease is 50 %, when it will be easy your playing will be smooth.
Later increase has 60 %...
Increase the tempo day by day and you will make a success...

Slow but sure ;-)

yes i get impatient when progress is slow , but you are right. thanks.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2015, 06:34 PM
Instructor
I note two important things to improve on this video:

- Economize your left hand fingers movements. Try to keep them closer to the fret-board when you quit them to let the following note sound.
- Try to avoid finger movement with your right hand. The motion should start from your wrist.

Playing fast require diary practice and a correct technique based on right and small movements. I have a whole technique course at my personal board that includes all the exercises that helped me to play fast and precise: ITC

The first lessons are dedicated to get used to the techniques. Then, the exercises get into building speed: LINK.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
sumitguitargmc1
Aug 3 2015, 06:47 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 3 2015, 05:34 PM) *
I note two important things to improve on this video:

- Economize your left hand fingers movements. Try to keep them closer to the fret-board when you quit them to let the following note sound.
- Try to avoid finger movement with your right hand. The motion should start from your wrist.

Playing fast require diary practice and a correct technique based on right and small movements. I have a whole technique course at my personal board that includes all the exercises that helped me to play fast and precise: ITC

The first lessons are dedicated to get used to the techniques. Then, the exercises get into building speed: LINK.

ok gabriel, thanks.

sumit

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2015, 07:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sumitguitargmc1 @ Aug 3 2015, 02:47 PM) *
ok gabriel, thanks.

sumit

Let me know if you need help with the exercises.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sumitguitargmc1
Aug 5 2015, 05:22 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 3 2015, 06:22 PM) *
Let me know if you need help with the exercises.

hi Gabriel ,

I am continuing this thread to practice my alternate picking and asking feedback from you on my progress.

Day 1 -

this is the day 1 progress video. the video shows my right hand , how i am holding the pick , followed by 150 bpm alternate picking with camera showing right hand only as today i only wanted to focus on right hand movements.

usually when i play my fist is not closed but i experience that when i keep my fist open i tend to use finger movements during alternate picking , so today i practiced with closed fist.

some questions
+++++++++++++++++
1. is my wrist movement correct ?
2. is the decision to keep my fist closed correct ?
3. Is the sound clean enough ?
4. should i reduce the tempo for practicing if the sound is not clean enough ?
5. if sound is clean how should i increment the tempo each day for best and permanent results ?

forever grateful,
thanks,
sumit

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2015, 08:56 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to see you focused and working hard.

The movement is starting from your writs and that's how it should be. However it would be good if you liberate a but your arm from your elbow while playing alternate picking. Your arm is totally fixed while liberating it can make you play more relaxed. Check some videos of Paul Gilbert playing and you'll notice what I mean.

Another important thing to fix is the way you are holding your pick. Try to do it with the tip of your thumb more like this:

Attached Image

Check your thumb and compare it with the picture. You lose precision by holding your pick like that.

Finally, about your questions:

1. Yes!

2. It's ok. I use both ways depending on the lick that I'm playing. I feel that having it closed givers you more strength while opening it gives you more precision and allows using your fingers to mute the higher strings that you are not playing. Each has it's advantage, both are correct.

3. The sound is clean. Sometimes it seems that the notes are muted too soon but this can be relate to your left hand work.

4. Definitely! You always need to practice at a tempo that you can play clean, and increase it gradually as you feel more comfortable.

5. yes, that's the way to go. Practice every day, and use a notepad to write down the faster tempo you could get. Focus on small and effective moments with both hands.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sumitguitargmc1
Aug 11 2015, 02:44 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 6 2015, 07:56 PM) *
Hi mate! Great to see you focused and working hard.

The movement is starting from your writs and that's how it should be. However it would be good if you liberate a but your arm from your elbow while playing alternate picking. Your arm is totally fixed while liberating it can make you play more relaxed. Check some videos of Paul Gilbert playing and you'll notice what I mean.

Another important thing to fix is the way you are holding your pick. Try to do it with the tip of your thumb more like this:

Attached Image

Check your thumb and compare it with the picture. You lose precision by holding your pick like that.

Finally, about your questions:

1. Yes!

2. It's ok. I use both ways depending on the lick that I'm playing. I feel that having it closed givers you more strength while opening it gives you more precision and allows using your fingers to mute the higher strings that you are not playing. Each has it's advantage, both are correct.

3. The sound is clean. Sometimes it seems that the notes are muted too soon but this can be relate to your left hand work.

4. Definitely! You always need to practice at a tempo that you can play clean, and increase it gradually as you feel more comfortable.

5. yes, that's the way to go. Practice every day, and use a notepad to write down the faster tempo you could get. Focus on small and effective moments with both hands.

thanks for the feedback gabriel,

I have been practicing picking for the last 5 days. now posting day 5 progress
this is picking at 195 bpm on metronome.
I have tried to adjust thumb position and worked on wrist movements. elbow freeing part still not worked upon.
at the end of the video i am showing the thumb and pick holding.
Please let me know about all these aspects.

Day 5 Video ( speed picking practiced at 195 bpm )

thanks,
forever grateful,

sumit

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 11 2015, 03:13 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to see you working hard! I've just give you feedback on your last REC take HERE.

Your right hand looks better and your way of holding the pick is ok on this video. I notice that you have some hand sync issues when playing and this can be related to something that I've commented on the rec take and it's related to your left hand. I notice that your fingers could keep closer to the fret-board when you quit them to let the following note sound. You should try to make this movement smaller. Also, as this has sync issues, slowing down the tempo for practicing is essential to be able to think on sync and movements.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:29 AM