Why, Oh Why ?
Keilnoth
May 25 2010, 08:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
On Saturday evening, I went to a friend "party". Basically, we sat down around a table, with a fire, grilled meat and drank a lot of alcohol... Nice evening by the way ! smile.gif

There were about 4 guitarists around the table, so needless to say that at some point during the night we picked up guitars and started playing. I am more an electric guitar players but I can certainly strum some chords on an acoustic as well. It's cool...

But the question here is, do you also suffer from the same feeling that compared to your friend, your playing sucks ? smile.gif

I have to face up that feeling every times I play with some friends. That even the worst guitar player is better than me. And I am wondering if someday I will be satisfied with what I am playing ?

Wish I started learning guitar at the age of 14... tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 25 2010, 09:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ May 25 2010, 09:36 AM) *
But the question here is, do you also suffer from the same feeling that compared to your friend, your playing sucks ? smile.gif

I have to face up that feeling every times I play with some friends. That even the worst guitar player is better than me. And I am wondering if someday I will be satisfied with what I am playing ?

Well, thats the same old feeling that every musician has. No one I know doesn't suffer from this disease....
But at some point in time (or life), You starts to play things Your way, no matter of what others might do. And then its an easier burden to carry, since then You can compare to Yourself instead of others..... tongue.gif
No kidding here - there will always be better players around, technical and skill-wise, but what matters the most is that You have Your own voice. And that comes with experience and musicality, not by throwing away some lightning-fast licks.

If You ever will be satisfied? Nah, not 100%, but You can come really close sometimes, but then when You look back some years in time, You will realize that the things that sounded good back then just stinks today..... So must best advice here would be, dont give a s**t about what others do, play Your own way and have fun!!!

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 25 2010, 01:47 PM
Instructor
It's normal thing, but as time goes by and you become better and better, there are little players that can give you that feeling smile.gif It's always good to hear and work with great players as much as possible tho, good for the head trip.. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 25 2010, 01:48 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 25 2010, 04:25 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ May 25 2010, 04:36 AM) *
On Saturday evening, I went to a friend "party". Basically, we sat down around a table, with a fire, grilled meat and drank a lot of alcohol... Nice evening by the way ! smile.gif

There were about 4 guitarists around the table, so needless to say that at some point during the night we picked up guitars and started playing. I am more an electric guitar players but I can certainly strum some chords on an acoustic as well. It's cool...

I know exactly how you feel... and I too wish I started playing at 14 laugh.gif

I don't know many people who actually play guitar, most of my friends that play don't live near me unfortunately so I rarely get the chance to play with others. When I do, I find it really hard as I'm not use to it. However I find that even though I'm horrible in comparison, I end up learning a lot and the next time I'm that much better... but still feel like I'm the worst one LOL!! I don't know if I'll ever get over it but I try to make the best of it and learn as much as I can.

And when it comes right down to it, I'm not as bad as I think I am but we are always our own worst critic. No one has ever asked me to stop playing so I'll take that as a good thing smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 25 2010, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 25 2010, 03:31 AM) *
Well, thats the same old feeling that every musician has. No one I know doesn't suffer from this disease....
But at some point in time (or life), You starts to play things Your way, no matter of what others might do. And then its an easier burden to carry, since then You can compare to Yourself instead of others..... tongue.gif
No kidding here - there will always be better players around, technical and skill-wise, but what matters the most is that You have Your own voice. And that comes with experience and musicality, not by throwing away some lightning-fast licks.

If You ever will be satisfied? Nah, not 100%, but You can come really close sometimes, but then when You look back some years in time, You will realize that the things that sounded good back then just stinks today..... So must best advice here would be, dont give a s**t about what others do, play Your own way and have fun!!!

//Staffay

100% agree man

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 25 2010, 05:43 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ May 25 2010, 09:36 AM) *

I did, but I wish I had practiced all these years like I practiced this year with GMCs help! Wonder where I would be then? laugh.gif
Anyway, when I went to school or university and we were making trips to the north of Germany, France or Australia and New Zealand (yes, I studied geography) there would always be 3 or 4 guitar players around, but everyone had a different style. Some guys were playing classical stuff with fingerpicking, but later at night the others wanted some sing alongs like Lady in black and Summer of 69 and some german punk and rock songs (I bet you know Westerland and Hier kommt Alex, keilnoth), so I stepped in, cause I was the one who played rock and punk in my freetime and had that feeling for rhythm. Some other players could play awesome riffs and licks on the acoustic guitar, but still it was me who was better at playing tight chord progressions with palm muting.
Point is, play what feels most comfortable in these moments, don't try to compete or play what the others play. Everyone has a unique style.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
May 25 2010, 09:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Toten Hosen, was a fan years ago (about 15 tongue.gif).

I am more an improviser so it's pretty hard to pick up a song and play along with all those drunk people singing... But I think I will try to practice more on my acoustic because it's good for my hands, fingers and social-appeal. smile.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2010, 12:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This feeling is normal. But you should be so harsh on yourself and as you go (practice) you will feel more confident in your abilities. You have to keep in mind that you learn how to play all your life. Very good thing is that you can do a lot of things in just for example 1 year. So if you decide to improve a lot, make a concentrated practice plan and stick to it you would be able to see huge results, really HUGE in 6-12 months. You don't need to start playing at 14, you just need the will to be good and you can do it.

In this case of playing with friends, I think its quite possible that your friend actually though that he was the one that sucks smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
djohnneay
May 28 2010, 02:38 PM
GMC:er
We all sometimes have the feeling that we suck, but the trick is to act like you don't care.
Practice hard and enjoy music, the rest will come naturally. It doesn't matter what you play, if YOU enjoy what YOU play, that's all what counts and it should be enough.

People can tell when you enjoy what you play and even if it isn't thát good, they will like it if you play from your heart biggrin.gif

Just my 5 pence...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 4 2010, 11:18 PM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, I know that.
it creates positive competition, I mean it is GOOD there are people who play better then us, we can learn stuff from them, and it is a realistic reminder that our technique and musicianship needs constant improvement.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:58 PM