> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Jan 21 2016, 10:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I was short on time tonight with some people coming to my home to look at some work to be done sad.gif

I've posted in the theory thread and the piano thread wink.gif

smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 21 2016, 10:26 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2016, 10:19 PM
Hello Gab,

I had a long session experimenting with the piano collab but didn't come up with anything I was happy with, maybe my mood, I've had to do some DIY and it always takes three times longer than expected mad.gif

I must get back into the theory workshop tomorrow, I was struggling with those sequences, my fingers didn't want to go there and then the piano thing came along and I dived into it.

I still really need to restructure my practise. I am 50 on Feb 10th and am going away for a week from Sunday 7th, when I return I'd like to start fresh, if possible, now you know me a lot better, would you try and think of a routine for me. Personally I'd like to put the current Sex Pistols and Blues lessons on the back burner and start with something fresh, not too fast and pretty melodic. Maybe one lesson at a time is better for me, I tend to get carried away with one and neglect the other rolleyes.gif I'd like each new lesson to build on the last where possible.

I don't mind having two lessons but the current two both have rhythm and solo in them, maybe if you give me two they should be more distinct, ie, pure rhythm and pure solo. I know that isn't the way a musician's life is but maybe it will be better for me.

I'll leave it to you mate, I get an hour and a half most nights, occasionally 2 hours sometimes only 1, very occasionally I get none but that's life rolleyes.gif That hour and a half has to include any recording/mixing uploading to Soundcloud and creating a video when required, this takes a chunk of time.

Anyway, for the next couple of weeks I'll get into the collab and theory workshop.

As this is getting near the end of the first month of the theory workshop, do you think it would be a good idea to put a written theoretical summary of what we have been doing and a final "Any questions before we move on?".

Thanks for being a great teacher Gab wub.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 25 2016, 08:16 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 25 2016, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Nice post!

I think that choosing a new lesson to work on is a good idea. It's very important to choose one at your level, but that you like and motivates you to practice.

What about this one?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Satriani-Made-Easy-Rock/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 25 2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks Gab,
That is right up my street. I'm on it smile.gif
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2016, 03:45 PM
Instructor
Great! Keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 27 2016, 11:51 PM
Thanks Gab,
I have a severe case of man flu, women just don't understand how bad we get it. I am coughing in 4/4 time, my eyes are streaming, I have headache and my wife just says, "get on with it",
I'm struggling mate, ten hours on feet at work with this and its hard to concentrate on lessons. I'm not swinging the lead, just trying to get by.
Cheers dude, I haven't had a cold like this in years: (
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 28 2016, 12:49 AM
Instructor
I'm sorry to hear it mate. I hope that you get better soon. You have my positive vibes. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 28 2016, 08:42 AM
Wow,

Feel much better this morning, hopefully it's one of those intense but quick colds.
Back on it tonight.
I was only joking about my wife saying "just get on with it", she's not like that at all but it's a national joke wink.gif She actually worries about me if I cut my finger rolleyes.gif , I don't know if you have the same culture there but it's a national standing joke here that when men get the slightest bit of a cold they feel like they are dying and moan and moan, whereas women get extreme colds and soldier on with their jobs. Even men joke about it themselves saying "I've got man flu" which is usually a slight sniffle smile.gif
I never feel sorry for myself when I'm ill mate, I'm alive and a good many of my friends aren't, I was three hours from death in 2012 so I never let illness stop me as I appreciate life smile.gif but when you're coughing and spluttering and sneezing and eyes are running it's hard to play guitar as you know.

Cheers Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 28 2016, 01:38 PM
Instructor
hehehe no, we don't make that difference however it's what happens! hahaha. Men are more sensible to illness and pain. This also happens with tattoos, the phrase here is that men suffer more when getting a tattoo, while women are used to get much deeper pain. We don't have a national joke but we should! laugh.gif

Great to know that you are feeling better.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 28 2016, 04:05 PM
Thanks Gab,

We even have a product range.

http://www.manflu.com/

Ok, for the first time tonight I've had a go at the Satriani lesson. This is the first time I have tried to play it but I have listened to it a couple of times. There is an obvious error at 0:06 and the usual timing issues and other things but this isn't really for assessment just to show you I am on track again. I welcome your comments about this. When I watch Ben play it, he seems to have all the time in the world to add the vibrato, even his sustained notes seem to last forever before he puts vibrato on, when I play it, each note is like watching cars go passed on a race track and me having to paint the number on the door laugh.gif
I need to improve the tone too, this was just a stock hi-gain patch from my GT-001, a bit lifeless I think unsure.gif
Anyway, here is my first attempt.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/satriani-made-easy-take-1
Cheers wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 28 2016, 10:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 29 2016, 03:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

Great to find this take here! It's very good considering the short time that took you to learn the lesson! I think that the tone is close to the original lesson but you have to work on the details that you've marked: mostly timing and vibrato. The best for this is to work on really small sections and listen carefully to Ben and how he use expression techniques.

This is on the right track, just keep practicing!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 30 2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks Gab,

Been practising, I've made an observation that may or may not be accurate, I think I struggle with this type of piece that plays along the neck rather than across the neck because I don't know which note I'm actually playing and which note is next in the scale. Someone like you or Ben will know instinctively by the note they are playing, where they can go next along the neck, whereas I have to remember the sequence of the piece. The playing of the notes in this piece isn't the main problem, it's remembering the sequence of notes from bar 17 onwards. This leads me to something that could possible eventually be covered in the theory lesson; a workshop of its own or maybe an extension of the ear training workshop.
Maybe we could come up with some kind of training system to get students to explore the neck and learn the major and minor scales across and along the neck even skipping strings so maybe playing 2 notes per string and only using three strings, B, D and bass E, and variations of strings. I think this could work very well in conjunction with ear training. Sort of finding the next note in a particular scale. What do you think?
I appreciate a large percentage of students just want to learn how to play and don't care about theory at all, like driving a car and not wanting to know how the engine works, and I understand that, I just think it helps those that want to know how to create their own music and not just play other peoples music. I also understand it is good sometimes when people aren't restricted by their knowledge. Children sometimes come up with the most amazing things in art, because they just did it from the heart. It's horses for courses eh?

I haven't been able to record another video for the Guitar loves piano collab, I just keep coughing and having to stop, sorry, I really wanted to get another one done.

Same reason I haven't recorded any more with the theory workshop, I have been playing over it but not recording for the same reason.

Our chat about the Lojo guitar ignited my gas, see HERE

Cheers Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2016, 05:56 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, your idea sounds great! I'll think on something to get out of the boxes.

I'd also like to suggest watching these videos and tell me what you think

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 31 2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks Gab,

I love Victor Wooten, I have seen the second video before, I can listen to him speak just as I can listen to Vai. I listened to these videos intently, and I think you are telling me not to worry about things being "wrong", it is all part of the expression, that music comes from the heart. I've always thought, if I want to pain a picture with red sheep and blue grass I can, it's my picture and I'll paint it how I want to BUT, I've also, always thought it is good to know the true colour of the sheep and the grass as well.

I think I've read too many "Guitarist" magazines that try to indoctrinate theory into you instead of giving you the bricks, showing you how to build a wall but letting you build the house your way.

I guess it boils down to fear of criticism for playing something "wrong", fear of people sniggering because you're doing something "wrong". The thing is, how often, and this is a real question, how often do Vai and Satriani play "out of key", if you told me, "Oh all the time, it adds flavour" then that would free my head up.

I do quite a bit of cooking, only one pot dishes but I make them up as I go along, when I tell people what I have put in they say "you can't put that with that" then they taste it and they like it. I guess this is the same but my ears aren't as good as my tongue to know what "works" and what doesn't. Sometimes I'm watching Kris in the live stream and he is jamming, and he suddenly says "Ooops, wrong key", it sounded fine to me, this is the kind of thing that worries me about my listening skills.

I hope all of this makes sense Gab smile.gif

Cheers.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 1 2016, 03:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

Yes, this is totally clear and makes sense. I shared those videos because sometimes I feel that you worry too much about theory and what's right or wrong and forget about the real sense of making music: expressing yourself. smile.gif

There are not magic tricks or short cuts to train your ear and musical taste but the good news are that you are on the right track, so just keep on working hard and and results will come (results are already coming!). biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 1 2016, 10:05 PM
Thanks Gab,

I understand, but I also have a thirst for knowledge rolleyes.gif I also think sometimes it's hard to express yourself when you don't have a command of the chosen medium and understanding of the language, be it words or notes wink.gif

Bad day for practise today, my wife has damaged her back so I had sort out everything she normally does, she can only just walk, we are supposed to be going to see Black Stone Cherry tomorrow, it's her birthday, but if she is no better we won't be able to go sad.gif

If it's not one thing it's another lately.

Oh well, we can only play the hand we are dealt eh?

Speak soon buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2016, 01:46 PM
Instructor
I'm sorry to hear about it mate, I hope she gets better soon! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 2 2016, 09:06 PM
Thanks Gab,

We didn't get to the concert tonight, I offered quite a few people the tickets for free but they either didn't want to go or it was too short notice. I made her smile though, I made her dinner, and for dessert I got her a surprise birthday cake and put a candle in and walked into the room "singing" Happy Birthday to You, that made her smile smile.gif

She has now sent me to my practise room for an hour, I said it wasn't fair for her to be on her own on her birthday but she said "It's my birthday and that means you have to do what I want and I want you to go an have your lesson so I'm here.

I don't think I'll be able to record a video though due to the constant coughing so maybe I can't do another take for the Guitar Loves Piano collab, hopefully you can use something of what I did in take 1, maybe add some effects to the guitar?

Cheers Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2016, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, send greetings to your wife! smile.gif

Sure, your take will be added to the final mix! I'll be out from 5th to 8th so you have some more days to polish your recording.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 3 2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks Gab,

I will try to do another video but these coughing attacks are constant. I'm away for 7 days from Sunday 7th for my 50th birthday celebrations on 10th in Lanarote.

Cheers dude.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:37 AM