2 Pages V   1 2 >  
P90x
relaxenjoy
Mar 31 2010, 04:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Was wondering if anyone else on these boards has heard of or tried P90X?

For those who have never heard of it, it's an extreme home fitness workout. It is 90 days long and is truly extreme. You should have a foundational level of fitness before starting, though not absolutely necessary.

I started around 4 weeks ago now and the results already have been AMAZING.

I've always been a really tall skinny guy so back in the summer time I decided to start going to Goodlife to bulk up a bit. I got good results there too, but after 4-5 months I noticed I had really plateaud and my progress had seriously declined because of it.

Since starting P90X I haven't been to Goodlife once and I have seen more results in the last 4 weeks than close to my whole time at Goodlife! That isn't to say Goodlife is not worth it, this is moreso because I plateaud.

Anyone else?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by relaxenjoy: Mar 31 2010, 04:40 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chaostar
Mar 31 2010, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
I know A LOT about working out. P90X is very good because it provides new intense exercises weekly or biweekly. This is important because if you hit a plateau, you will not gain any muscle and you will not burn any fat. You will simply maintain. This is due to muscle memory. Repetitive motions increase stamina which also relates to guitar.

Anyway, there are other ways to challenge a plateau. You can simply eat more. Believe it or not, the more you eat, the more fat you will burn. EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! However, this does not mean you should binge on doritos. You need to eat natural foods. The rule of thumb is if it comes from the ground eat it. If man made it, avoid it. This includes high fructose corn syrup which is shown to slow the metabolism. Plus, it will take forever to burn off and it will most likely be stored as fat. (I really hate those commercials that promote it!)

P90X teaches you everything about nutrition and more. After a couple of months, they introduce you to the yoga stage which is very good for muscle building and maintaining. It is NOT going to be easy though. Expect to be torn apart by ALL there exercises...including the yoga. P90X uses the HIIT method which is the High Intensity Interval Training method. This means sprinting every other day. Also, it means the workouts are going to be completed as fast and correctly as you can. If you stick with P90X and the diet, expect to be shredded.

In summary, P90X is a very good system which introduces nutrition, exercises, stretching, and yoga to all those who are just starting out.

oh yeah, DIETS DO NOT WORK!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric
Fender Stratocaster self scalloped and personalized
Ibanez SA currently scalloping
Gibson Les Paul 1981 Original
Gibson Les Paul 1989

Acoustic
Fender Del Mar

Amps and Electronics
Line Six Spider III 15w
Soldano 100w Cabinet
Vox Head
Vox Multi-effect

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Mar 31 2010, 05:05 PM
LOL!

I JUST read your intro thread and thought, "I wonder if chaos will see my P90X thread"

Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

I've begun changing my diet since starting P90X because since starting to go to the gym, I know how much of a difference it can make depending what kinds of food go into your gullet. I have completely stopped drinking pop (which is down from 5-6 Diet Cokes per day) and eating chips and crackers (replaced with trail mix).

Those are the only changes so far, but they are significant changes!

The yoga section actually starts on Week 1! It's been my favourite workout to date in P90X.

I admit that P90X humbled me VERY quickly. I thought I was an in shape dude and was ready to kick ass. To be sure, I did the Yoga and Cardio workouts before starting the 90 day program and ended up missing a day of work because I'm pretty sure I pulled EVERY core muscle! Before P90X I never did any core workouts.

The program is 90 days and is broken down into three 3 week modules and a rest week between each one. I'm on my "rest" week now and let me tell you the rest week is tougher than the module weeks because you do core and cardio workouts all week!

I sweat more doing P90X, the workouts are shorter than my Goodlife one, I have better results, and the workouts are WAAAAY more fun than what I was doing before.

I <3 P90X.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 31 2010, 05:20 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Well I've just started the P90X program. This is my second week and I can tell you this IS EXTREME. I used to practice Kung Fu so I thought this will be nothing for me but it absolutely kills me every single day! In a good way of course biggrin.gif

I'd like to ask you guys about the supplements. Is it worth taking? I'm more into healthy food nowadays, and I really hate all the man made supplements because of the procedure of manufacturing it and because of the unhealthy and sometimes lethal ingredienst. What's your oppinion on this matter guys? And if you're not taking it, what can I replace it with?

And Chaostar, what do you mean by "diets do not work"?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Mar 31 2010, 05:31 PM
YAY Zsolt!

We should definitely keep this thread alive with our progress! P90X definitely is not easy to get through!

As for your question, I do take supplements.

I take whey protein and a creatine.

In my opinion, whey protein is absolutely okay because it is made from the protein in milk. I drink one everyday with soy milk after my P90X workouts.

Creatine is a bit more iffy depending where you are reading about it, however I take it anyways in small doses. I can't remember how many mgs are in my pills, but I only take 1 before a workout and that is it.

I'm not crazy about supplements or anything but whey protein definitely helps! Creatine converts lactic acid (which makes your muscles sore after working out) into something else that I'm not sure of off the top of my head and causes you to be less sore as a result of working out.

I think chaos is trying to say that if people are trying to lose weight or bulk up, it's about a lifestyle change not dieting. Dieting implies temporarily changing your habits to achieve your goals, but if you go back to those habits after you have reached your goals... you will eventually go back to the way you were before!

--------------------

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Mar 31 2010, 06:06 PM
Double post!

@Zsolt: Check out http://teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards

It's the community forums for P90X, there's a lot of really good info about workouts, supplements, and any other questions you may have as well as a photo gallery of before and afters... WOW!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 31 2010, 06:18 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey guys this thread is really interesting as I started going to the gym again and I'm on a weight loss plan...Gonna check out the P90X what is it all about smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 31 2010, 06:21 PM
I'm warning you, man...

You will HATE IT
But you'll LOVE IT

wink.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 31 2010, 06:18 PM) *
Hey guys this thread is really interesting as I started going to the gym again and I'm on a weight loss plan...Gonna check out the P90X what is it all about smile.gif

Thanks, Relaxenjoy!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 31 2010, 06:23 PM
Instructor
im always working out and trying new things, will try this one!!
is that extreme biggrin.gif?

usually dvd's are for kids biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 31 2010, 06:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
How long is the daily workout. I really only have about an hour a day to dedicate to this but I could use something to really get my fat butt moving again. I'll be 40 this year and I feel EVERY BIT THAT OLD..... mad.gif

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 31 2010, 06:58 PM
Actually it's up to you. It can be pretty extreme tho.

I for example put weights on my back while doing push ups.

Basically if you do everything with a sincron with the DVD it can be really extreme.

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Mar 31 2010, 06:23 PM) *
im always working out and trying new things, will try this one!!
is that extreme biggrin.gif?

usually dvd's are for kids biggrin.gif

The longest workout is 1:21minutes long. That's Shoulders n Arm and Ab Ripper X. Yoga X is 1:36.

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Mar 31 2010, 06:26 PM) *
How long is the daily workout. I really only have about an hour a day to dedicate to this but I could use something to really get my fat butt moving again. I'll be 40 this year and I feel EVERY BIT THAT OLD..... mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Mar 31 2010, 07:24 PM
For those who are interested in P90X..

It really really is what it claims to be. I know there are a lot of products that claim amazing things and 99.9% of them don't pull though. Foruntately for us P90X is in that 0.1% category.

However, that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park! They are the hardest AND most rewarding workouts I've ever tried.

As for the workouts themselves, they are very BASIC.

All you need to get started are freeweights and some bands OR a pull up bar. You do lots of pushups, pullups, lunges, squats, curls etc. And of course your cardio workouts which consist of Yoga, Kenpo, Cardio, Plyometrics, and Stretching.

I'll also mention that my father does P90X at 54 and so does my mother at 50. No excuses for age or gender! smile.gif

Any females wondering if my mom is buff... NOPE! She's lean and toned. P90X can be used for weight loss as well by changing your reps from 8-10 to 12-15. You will likely still gain muscle, but you won't look like the female version of Hulk Hogan or anything like that!

Please feel free to post any questions here or PM! I am sure Zsolt is more than willing to help, too!

This post has been edited by relaxenjoy: Mar 31 2010, 07:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 31 2010, 07:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (relaxenjoy @ Mar 31 2010, 01:24 PM) *

It really really is what it claims to be. I know there are a lot of products that claim amazing things and 99.9% of them don't pull though. Foruntately for us P90X is in that 0.1% category.

However, that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park! They are the hardest AND most rewarding workouts I've ever tried.

All you need to get started are freeweights and some bands OR a pull up bar. You do lots of pushups, pullups, lunges, squats, curls etc. And of course your cardio workouts which consist of Yoga, Kenpo, Cardio, Plyometrics, and Stretching.

I'll also mention that my father does P90X at 54 and so does my mother at 50. No excuses for age or gender! smile.gif

Any females wondering if my mom is buff... NOPE! She's lean and toned. P90X can be used for weight loss as well by changing your reps from 8-10 to 12-15. You will likely still gain muscle, but you won't look like the female version of Hulk Hogan or anything like that!

Please feel free to post any questions here or PM! I am sure Zsolt is more than willing to help, too!

that sounds great man!, i think i will buy it, but now tell me please that you don't work for em biggrin.gif
there is too much useless methods around laugh.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 31 2010, 07:48 PM
Wow man, you sound like you're getting paid for this biggrin.gif

Anyways, I'm on day 10 now and so far am really satisfyed with the results. Not using suplements yet, will consider your words.

Because I plan my meals more carefully, my only concern regarding the supplements are that Whey protein is really made of milk, but my question is what do they feed the cows on? If the animals aren't healthy, how can the supplement be healthy in a long term? Soy is also genetically modifyed that you can get in the most part of the world, except the ones coming from Japan I think. Still unable to decide... guess I'll go on without them and see what can I come up with. I think I might go for creatine tho.

I get my food mostly from the marketplace or the bio shops in Budapest.

QUOTE (relaxenjoy @ Mar 31 2010, 07:24 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Mar 31 2010, 07:59 PM
Have no fear, I don't work for P90X or BeachBody. LOL!

I do endorse their product because it is so good, though! I know many people struggle with weight loss and bulking up... I feel that P90X can genuinely change people's health and lives which is why I speak so highly of it smile.gif

It's definitely changed mine!

Here's some information on Whey Protein, Zsolt: http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm

Probably can provide you with more info and answers to questions than I can.

To be honest, I'm not that into my diet. I eat what tastes good within reason and make sure I get my fruits and veggies!

This post has been edited by relaxenjoy: Mar 31 2010, 08:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 31 2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the info and the link man!

QUOTE (relaxenjoy @ Mar 31 2010, 07:59 PM) *
Have no fear, I don't work for P90X or BeachBody. LOL!

I do endorse their product because it is so good, though! I know many people struggle with weight loss and bulking up... I feel that P90X can genuinely change people's health and lives which is why I speak so highly of it smile.gif

It's definitely changed mine!

Here's some information on Whey Protein, Zsolt: http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm

Probably can provide you with more info and answers to questions than I can.

To be honest, I'm not that into my diet. I eat what tastes good within reason and make sure I get my fruits and veggies!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 31 2010, 08:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Mar 31 2010, 01:48 PM) *
Wow man, you sound like you're getting paid for this biggrin.gif

Anyways, I'm on day 10 now and so far am really satisfyed with the results. Not using suplements yet, will consider your words.

Because I plan my meals more carefully, my only concern regarding the supplements are that Whey protein is really made of milk, but my question is what do they feed the cows on? If the animals aren't healthy, how can the supplement be healthy in a long term? Soy is also genetically modifyed that you can get in the most part of the world, except the ones coming from Japan I think. Still unable to decide... guess I'll go on without them and see what can I come up with. I think I might go for creatine tho.

I get my food mostly from the marketplace or the bio shops in Budapest.

That's right about the whey, and be careful with creatine it will keep a lot of liquid on your system smile.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 31 2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks man!

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Mar 31 2010, 08:38 PM) *
That's right about the whey, and be careful with creatine it will keep a lot of liquid on your system smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
chaostar
Apr 1 2010, 12:30 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Zsolt Galambos @ Mar 31 2010, 04:20 PM) *
Well I've just started the P90X program. This is my second week and I can tell you this IS EXTREME. I used to practice Kung Fu so I thought this will be nothing for me but it absolutely kills me every single day! In a good way of course biggrin.gif

I'd like to ask you guys about the supplements. Is it worth taking? I'm more into healthy food nowadays, and I really hate all the man made supplements because of the procedure of manufacturing it and because of the unhealthy and sometimes lethal ingredienst. What's your oppinion on this matter guys? And if you're not taking it, what can I replace it with?

And Chaostar, what do you mean by "diets do not work"?

Basically, muscle is built by eating food. You need to eat more calories than you burn. I am talking about a diet aiming to decrease the amount of calories you take in. I hear people sometimes talking about limiting their calories to 1800 a day!!! That is ridiculous. And the Atkins diet limits your carbohydrate intake which is extremely important. You need good carbs like fruit, veggies, and whole wheat bread.

Supplements are good. For a pre workout supplement, I recommend NO XPLODE. For post workout, you should look into creatine and whey protein. This is good for a quick jolt of protein right after a workout. The creatine is good for before bed because it supplies your muscles with a little protein throughout the night.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

QUOTE (relaxenjoy @ Mar 31 2010, 04:05 PM) *
LOL!

I JUST read your intro thread and thought, "I wonder if chaos will see my P90X thread"

Welcome to GMC! smile.gif

Lmao, thank you! Yeah I know a lot about this stuff. I have three years of intense research, personal experience, and im going for a certificate program in college right now.

And @ Zsolts, basically, the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn. Your metabolism will increase. If you decrease the caloric intake, your body will not be able to build muscle and will actually begin to store fat. So eat up on fruit and good protein! biggrin.gif Do not be afraid to eat!

And cheating 10% of the diet time is good because you need foods which suck for you lol. They are certain types of bacteria in junk food that you may want. If you have more question or want me to explain further let me know!

--------------------
Electric
Fender Stratocaster self scalloped and personalized
Ibanez SA currently scalloping
Gibson Les Paul 1981 Original
Gibson Les Paul 1989

Acoustic
Fender Del Mar

Amps and Electronics
Line Six Spider III 15w
Soldano 100w Cabinet
Vox Head
Vox Multi-effect

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 1 2010, 01:13 AM
Instructor
that's some hardcore good info brother!!!
maybe a diet plan for gmc biggrin.gif?

QUOTE (chaostar @ Mar 31 2010, 06:30 PM) *
Basically, muscle is built by eating food. You need to eat more calories than you burn. I am talking about a diet aiming to decrease the amount of calories you take in. I hear people sometimes talking about limiting their calories to 1800 a day!!! That is ridiculous. And the Atkins diet limits your carbohydrate intake which is extremely important. You need good carbs like fruit, veggies, and whole wheat bread.

Supplements are good. For a pre workout supplement, I recommend NO XPLODE. For post workout, you should look into creatine and whey protein. This is good for a quick jolt of protein right after a workout. The creatine is good for before bed because it supplies your muscles with a little protein throughout the night.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Lmao, thank you! Yeah I know a lot about this stuff. I have three years of intense research, personal experience, and im going for a certificate program in college right now.

And @ Zsolts, basically, the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn. Your metabolism will increase. If you decrease the caloric intake, your body will not be able to build muscle and will actually begin to store fat. So eat up on fruit and good protein! biggrin.gif Do not be afraid to eat!

And cheating 10% of the diet time is good because you need foods which suck for you lol. They are certain types of bacteria in junk food that you may want. If you have more question or want me to explain further let me know!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:02 PM