Need Some Advice
ChocolateThunda
Feb 4 2016, 01:46 PM
GMC:er
Hello!

I have inherited a bass guitar from my friend who is leaving the country for 6 months and I'd quite like to do some recording with it.

The problem is, I don't have an amp, so I was hoping to look into virtual amps. Does anyone have any experience with this? I will literally just be plugging the bass straight into my Focusrite and recording then applying effects etc after.

Cheers!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2016, 01:50 PM
GMC Founder
For recording bass - you don't really need any hardware stuff.

And for many genres you don't really need plugins either, except for a compressor and EQ.

I use Logic pro's built in bass amp plugin. But I am sure there lots of other free options. Let's see what others say.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 4 2016, 02:01 PM
Instructor
Yep that's right. For homerecording you can get quite descent tone without physical amp or any other hardware.

Some even highly professional productions had the bass recorded straight into line in of mixer/interface and bass track was slightly compressed and eq-ued.

I lately like to use IGNITE AMPS AHB-1 vst plugin. It helps to boost essential bass frequencies and to improve balance bwteen low and high frequencies + is simply gives you abilty to tweak the tone just like through a normal amp.

If your bass is active, it might have lows and highs adjustment hidden in it's knobs wink.gif You might find you don't need any amp at all...even a virtual one

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 4 2016, 03:38 PM
Instructor
+1 to comments here. Just a compressor and EQ will do the job really well.

You can also try this free plug in if you want to experiment with different tones and also if you want some drive in your bass sound: https://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseBOD

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Feb 8 2016, 07:57 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi mate,

You didn't mention the virtual needs to be a freeware so if you are looking for a killer bass plug in, check out : Spectrasonic Trilian. It's certainly not cheap but an amazing software.

Grtz

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:48 AM