A Great Way To Grow On Guitar!
Déjà vu
Aug 10 2008, 10:57 PM
GMC:er
A great way to grow on guitar... Is by not playing at all!!! I feel that I've spent every day this past summer noodling all day, every day... Well, I babysat my cousins last night and I decided NOT to bring my guitar ohmy.gif !!! I didn't feel I was wasting time (even though we were just playing video games the whole time smile.gif ). Anyways, I feel I've had time to "de-stress" and get motivation in a new way I would've never gone about. I felt I could never be without my guitar not getting sloppy or slow... But, I don't even care if I get a little rusty, because with the motivation I have now I will soon work back to my normal level and have a better chance of exceeding from where I've left off!

A little comparison...

I always use to play Mario games, and the more I played them it just became pure hand-to-eye coordination (without even thinking of what I was doing). I haven't played Mario for years, but I just did (at my cousin's house). When I played I was actually thinking and a making short/smart decisions. In a result, I was a lot better than I ever was! Because, I still new the necessary techniques like jumping, swinging, etc. But, I wasn't so much of a vegetable. I did have to get use to movements (controls), but that didn't take very long at all. The point is, I find that this relates to guitar (and a most other things as well). So, when I took my break from guitar I didn't feel like a zombie playing the same boring licks, riffs, scale&chords, and songs over and over... and over... again... mellow.gif

So, I decided to make a post for all people who are skeptical about NOT playing guitar. But, they seem to feel a lack in motivation. So, If my advice is helpful to at least one person... I will be more than happy biggrin.gif .

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
seagull
Aug 10 2008, 11:13 PM
I read you. Either put the instrument aside for at day or two, or play another instrument for a couple of days. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Aug 10 2008, 11:20 PM
I just got a free keyboard... So, thanks for your input! But, I kinda needed a break from music in general (which can be veeery nice as well).

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 10 2008, 11:22 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Déjà vu @ Aug 10 2008, 11:20 PM) *
But, I kinda needed a break from music in general (which can be veeery nice as well).

From guitar- maybe a few days break won't hurt...

But from music all together?"? I think i'd explode dry.gif

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Aug 10 2008, 11:26 PM
It's easy for me when that's all I've been doing the past 2 years (about as long as I've even been a fan of music). wacko.gif

Pretty irregular... I never liked music as a little kid. But, recently I've tried to compensate for all of those "lost years"...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 10 2008, 11:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well taking a break from guitar from time to time (few days) is beneficial...You let your brain process the information in peace smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 10 2008, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Déjà vu @ Aug 11 2008, 12:26 AM) *
It's easy for me when that's all I've been doing the past 2 years (about as long as I've even been a fan of music). wacko.gif

Pretty irregular... I never liked music as a little kid. But, recently I've tried to compensate for all of those "lost years"...

Then i am just like you... I wasent really into music when i was younger. My music interest was born when i was 16 and started listening to metal

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 10 2008, 11:53 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (seagull @ Aug 11 2008, 12:13 AM) *
or play another instrument for a couple of days. smile.gif

That's a cool (and effective!) approach!

@ Deja Vu - I agree, it sure is good having a break once in a while in your regualr practicing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Aug 10 2008, 11:59 PM
QUOTE (seagull @ Aug 10 2008, 03:13 PM) *
or play another instrument for a couple of days. smile.gif

Shawn lane said... (yes, I'm a Shawn-Lane-aholic tongue.gif ) that whenever he got a little bit better on keyboard, he got a little bit better on guitar as well. I don't have a solid idea of how this works. Probably, because I haven't really played my new keyboard that much... But, now that I've given myself more time. Maybe, just maybe... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 11 2008, 08:20 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Aug 11 2008, 12:22 AM) *
From guitar- maybe a few days break won't hurt...

But from music all together?"? I think i'd explode dry.gif

Mee too biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
seagull
Aug 12 2008, 11:41 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 11 2008, 12:53 AM) *
That's a cool (and effective!) approach!

Works for me at least. smile.gif Whenever I have one of those "off-days" with the guitar where I just can play anything as I could the day before, I put it back in the hardcase so that the temptation of playing it again won't even arise.

Then I play some piano or bass and focus on them for a day or two, or maybe even more! When you've played only one particular instrument for years it's always good to get some perspective on it by applying some of the musical ideas from that instrument onto another instrument. smile.gif

Keyboard/piano playing also improves your understanding of music-theory and then it may seem much more tangible when you play something on your guitar again. smile.gif And bass playing will help you memorize the freboard on at least the 4 last strings, so get to it! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by seagull: Aug 12 2008, 11:43 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor
I agree mate, playing keyboard occasionally and taking a brake after a long and hard practice on guitar can only do good for players. This way they learn new stuff and brain automatically puts previously learned (guitar) knowledge in subconscious.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:12 AM