My Great Experiment, results so far
jstcrsn
Nov 15 2010, 07:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
i don't now if i will do this right , but here i go

if you recall , my experiment was playing everything with an upstroke to develop my weak point, this is how paul gilbert admittedly started out- but since he does this so well , i was hoping this would help me get over my hump----alt. picking. I have been playing for over 20 years and still can't and have spent most of my time at GMC focusing on this .
Lets back up, when i was 8 i fell out of tree and broke my arm and many years later when i started to play again i noticed that my arm was not set right, thus not allowing me to bend my wrist to play chords. see picture
solution for me --learn guitar left handed.
since my wrist was twisted a little laugh.gif . i had to compensate by reversing my pick angle so i could achieve string muting properly
Wel i am recently thinking this is my problem with picking, so i have switched pick angle , but this causes my thumb to pinch the side of my index finger and the pick starts to migrate out of my grip..see picture
so now , this is my solution . I have stuck a copper washer between my thumb and finger and this has resulted in a very good technique however , if i take it out , my thumb automatically hurts and then pinches my finger, but i can not play with a fluid stroke for playing rhythm with the washer, so, i am trying to practice my rhythm with the washer
i am hoping that once i eventually can play everything with my crutch , with a good technique , i can slowly start weening myself from the washer
and you guessed it , be ready for my new axe------- a hellraiser

having a good guitar ( that didn't cost 2 grand ) has been illusive , ever since i have played . it has sort of been like the lockness monster ,not to much evidence that it exists or that it does not . I have ordered this guitar before to no avail, and after 4 months of back order i finally got my money back. so when i ordered this guitar i fully expected the same thing ( not getting my hope up ).and after it being on back order for 4 weeks with no new delivery date , i found a website that said they have one in stock. There was no picture however just a description as the same as what i had back ordered--so , i went out further on a limb and ordered a guitar i have never played off a website that had no picture ohmy.gif ,and 3 days later as i came home from work ,there was a shcecter box in my garage. UPS didn't even knock , my wife didn't even no it was there. I walked in the house , she asked if that was it and i said it doesn't feel heavy enough to be a full size and that it was classified as a hellraiser special and that it would be a 3 quarter guitar
I had to put it next to my jackson and it still took about an hour or so before it sank in , that i actually had the highest quality guitar i have ever owned--being left handed sucks
but one thing remains, i have never used active pick ups before--they rock- but i am comfortable enough i don't need them.
never had a neck thru guitar----love it
and for how it plays-- out of the box it plays as nice as my go to - jackson
i still have a way to go -- but i'm still hangin in there
peace for now
just crusin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2010, 01:02 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey congrats on getting that guitar! It looks great! I'm glad that you are practicing and don't worry much - you'll get there. It just takes time. I'm sure you'll be able to take out washer and still be able to play well. Keep rocking man! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 17 2010, 01:40 AM
Instructor
Great, nice guitar man! smile.gif

How's the upstroke exercises going then, you've made some good progress?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 17 2010, 06:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 17 2010, 01:40 AM) *
Great, nice guitar man! smile.gif

How's the upstroke exercises going then, you've made some good progress?

some progress, right now i am learning Daniel's scarified lesson and i am hoping that playing slowly will help as i really have to focus
on the way my thumb and index finger feel through all that string skipping and outside picking

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:28 PM