2 Pages V   1 2 >  
History ?
Ben Higgins
Dec 22 2012, 10:53 AM
Instructor
I've recently been inspired to learn more about the history of Britain and its settlement by Celtic and then Germanic tribes from Europe. At school, History & Geography were my 2 favourite subjects but I never really kept studying anything particularly. I'd really like to know more about what made this island what it is, I think we kind of owe it to ourselves to know more about our countries.

I just wondered if anyone else has ever been inspired to learn more about the history of their own country and, if so, what have they found out ? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 22 2012, 04:49 PM
GMC:er
I love History of all kinds. There's lots of it locally to me, from an old Burial Mound, one of the oldest Churches in the area etc!!

I've also visited quite a few Stone Circles and Long Barrows too.
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 22 2012, 05:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I watch quite a lot of the history docs on tv. I tried reading a couple of books on british history but they were a bit dry ( or too clever! ). There's a hill near me where I used to go running which was the site of an iron age fort, its was really cool especially early morning when it was totally deserted. I'd really like to visit some of the awesome standing stones around the UK.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 22 2012, 03:49 PM) *
an old Burial Mound

that sounds cool. I dunno if there are any near me but something like that would be really good to see.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 22 2012, 06:35 PM
Denmark... Bacon... Nothing more I need to know biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 22 2012, 07:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 22 2012, 03:49 PM) *
I love History of all kinds. There's lots of it locally to me, from an old Burial Mound, one of the oldest Churches in the area etc!!

I've also visited quite a few Stone Circles and Long Barrows too.
biggrin.gif

Yeah I used to love going up old hill forts, of which there are quite a few near me. Cadbury Castle is a particular beauty. The Lakes have also got some brilliant stone circles like Castlerigg. Of course, everybody knows that certain stone thingy in Wiltshire... smile.gif

QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Dec 22 2012, 05:35 PM) *
Denmark... Bacon... Nothing more I need to know biggrin.gif

There's a man who knows his history ! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 22 2012, 07:03 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 22 2012, 06:01 PM) *
Of course, everybody knows that certain stone thingy in Wiltshire... smile.gif

Avebury!!!!!
wink.gif
Right next to Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 22 2012, 07:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Dec 22 2012, 06:03 PM) *
Avebury!!!!!
wink.gif
Right next to Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I think Avebury is actually the oldest, is it not ?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 22 2012, 07:50 PM
Avebury as it is now was built by someone in the Victorian era and is now owned by the National Trust! As is Silbury Hill!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 23 2012, 02:07 AM
Portugal has a ton and ton and ton of history, but to be honest, i was never that much interesseted in the past. Maybe some day!

I've recently been inspired to learn more about the history of Britain and its settlement by Celtic and then Germanic tribes from Europe

I am actually gonna start studying that, i've got exam this year (English one, since the class didn't open this year in my school), that's one of the subjects, i think.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 23 2012, 04:29 AM
I read about 30 or 40 books dealing with History in some form a year. One of my favorite authors is your Sir Max Hastings. Well I believe he lives in Kenya, but he is a Brit. My favorite is his is this, on the final year of WWII in the Pacific theater.

http://www.amazon.com/Retribution-Battle-J...ds=max+hastings

I have also read his book on the Korean War and on Churchill. Hastings has the unusual quality of being able to put himself in the context of the time and place he is covering. Few can do that, even most who call themselves professional "Historians". To do that you have to be able to forget everything that has happened since the events occurred, and also grasp the cultures of the parties concerned. This is very difficult to do even if you try, and many don't try, they just want to look on the past as if it were occurring in today's modern world, and judge it accordingly.

If you want to listen to an interview, here is one on his most recent book, "Inferno". I forgot that I had read that, I read so much that I forget what I have read sometimes. He is very eloquent, I look for that in any author. Without that they are always crap peddlers, eloquence and understanding go hand in hand.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/MaxH

My favorite book on American History is "The Ascent of George Washington" by John Ferling.

http://www.amazon.com/Ascent-George-Washin...orge+washington

Some Americans don't like this book, they don't like to see their hero's mythology debunked, the marble men knocked off their pedestals.

I will throw one more at you, that I am reading now. An unusual perspective on WWI. The author is American, but he mostly writes about Britain.

http://www.amazon.com/End-All-Wars-Rebelli...to+end+all+wars

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 22 2012, 04:53 AM) *
I've recently been inspired to learn more about the history of Britain and its settlement by Celtic and then Germanic tribes from Europe. At school, History & Geography were my 2 favourite subjects but I never really kept studying anything particularly. I'd really like to know more about what made this island what it is, I think we kind of owe it to ourselves to know more about our countries.

I just wondered if anyone else has ever been inspired to learn more about the history of their own country and, if so, what have they found out ? smile.gif

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 23 2012, 05:27 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 23 2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 23 2012, 03:29 AM) *
I will throw one more at you, that I am reading now. An unusual perspective on WWI. The author is American, but he mostly writes about Britain.

http://www.amazon.com/End-All-Wars-Rebelli...to+end+all+wars

Those books all look really good. For me, I'd definitely be most interested in the final one.. the Amazon interview was good and this Q & A showed an interesting perspective on the war:

Q: What are you trying to do in To End All Wars that makes it different from other books about the First World War?

A: Most books about any war, including this one, tell the story as a conflict between two sides. Instead, I’ve tried to tell the story of 1914–1918 as a struggle between those who felt the war was something noble and necessary, and those who felt it was absolute madness.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Dec 23 2012, 11:25 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I've loved history since childhood, so it's hard to say what I could discover about my country, I knew "everything" since I can remember wink.gif The only period I'm not really found in history is XIX century more less, maybe excluding the fall of the Shogunate at that time, and the American Civil War. Maybe it's because excluding the short resurection of Poland by Bonaparte, it was under occupation for the whole century (but probably not, because Ancient history is one of my favorite, and I don't need to mention there was no Poland in these times either [even thought a Polish historician in the middle ages wrote bull s... about a ancient slavian/polish prince that fought with Alexander the Great tongue.gif ]).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 23 2012, 11:47 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I tried to find out more about German history when I was a child but found out so many shocking things that I never checked again!

No, seriously, I love history and geography (these two are sometimes closely combined), that's why I studied Geography in the first place. There are so many interesting things to be found out about all countries in the world that I don't even know where to begin.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 23 2012, 02:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Dec 23 2012, 10:47 AM) *
No, seriously, I love history and geography (these two are sometimes closely combined), that's why I studied Geography in the first place. There are so many interesting things to be found out about all countries in the world that I don't even know where to begin.

Yep, you could spend a lifetime on this stuff !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 23 2012, 06:03 PM
If 'Timeteam' had been on the TV when I was at school I would have seriously considered a career in Archeology/Paleontology!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2013, 10:09 PM
Actually YES! As in the post about Sweden you saw smile.gif I looked in to my own history and found the BORDER REAVER background that defines my families deep historical past. But of course, it's good to keep an open mind and perspective as you may find your descended from Bandits and Horsethieves (Like me!)

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 22 2012, 04:53 AM) *

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 10 2013, 10:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 8 2013, 09:09 PM) *
Actually YES! As in the post about Sweden you saw smile.gif I looked in to my own history and found the BORDER REAVER background that defines my families deep historical past. But of course, it's good to keep an open mind and perspective as you may find your descended from Bandits and Horsethieves (Like me!)

Todd

Let's face it.. any Caucasian living anywhere, including our American cousins.. are descended from Europeans. Heritage is funny.. it's like 'How far back do you take it ?'

Do you take it back as far as the answer you like ? Or do we all just accept that we basically came from the same landmasses originally ? Who knows ? It's interesting though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2013, 06:57 AM
I'm looking at it through the context of Family Name. To try to pinpoint where the name came from since it started showing up in records at all. Not really trying to work out the lineage prior to the fam crest/name because as you wisely mention, you take it back far enough and it's really all the same.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 10 2013, 04:31 AM) *
Let's face it.. any Caucasian living anywhere, including our American cousins.. are descended from Europeans. Heritage is funny.. it's like 'How far back do you take it ?'

Do you take it back as far as the answer you like ? Or do we all just accept that we basically came from the same landmasses originally ? Who knows ? It's interesting though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2013, 11:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 11 2013, 05:57 AM) *
I'm looking at it through the context of Family Name. To try to pinpoint where the name came from since it started showing up in records at all. Not really trying to work out the lineage prior to the fam crest/name because as you wisely mention, you take it back far enough and it's really all the same.

Oh I get it.. yeah, the names side of things is really interesting too and in fact, probably more reliable in terms of where we came from smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 11 2013, 01:03 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 11 2013, 10:07 AM) *
Oh I get it.. yeah, the names side of things is really interesting too and in fact, probably more reliable in terms of where we came from smile.gif

My surname originates from the Viking and Celt Traders that used to make encampments under Hadrian's Wall. Hence my claim to a Half Celt/Half Viking ancestry!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:34 PM