Sweep-tap Lick
FretDancer69
Jun 27 2007, 07:14 PM
GMC:er
Hello guys, i was practicing Pavel's Metal Solo Licks Lesson, and on Part 2 theres a Sweep-Tap lick. I can do the lick very well, but really slow, and i want to be able to make fast like Pavel does.

Here is the tab:

|--------------------13h-17-18p-17-13----------------|
|-----------------15------------------15-------------|
|--------------14------------------------14----------|
|-----------15------------------------------15-------|
|--------17------------------------------------17----|
|----------------------------------------------------|

So i decided to practice it with the metronome. I dont use the metronome too much (although i know its advantages). I read Kris lesson on Metronome Practicing and it was great.

But here are my doubts:
  • At what BPM should i start practicing this lick? (i dont wanna start slower than what i can play, but not too fast as well)
  • Whats the BPM of this lick when played fast, shown on the 1st video?
thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jun 27 2007, 07:17 PM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 27 2007, 07:18 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jun 27 2007, 02:14 PM) *
[*]At what BPM should i start practicing this lick? (i dont wanna start slower than what i can play, but not too fast as well)

You need to figure out the maximum speed you can play it comfortably AND cleanly, and that is your base. Practice from there and add a few BPM whenever you feel comfortable with a particular speed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 27 2007, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 27 2007, 01:18 PM) *
You need to figure out the maximum speed you can play it comfortably AND cleanly, and that is your base. Practice from there and add a few BPM whenever you feel comfortable with a particular speed.

I agree, but I do add about 20, or even 40 bps over my max clean speed some, just to push it. Then I back off, and concentrate on all notes ringing out clearly, perfect rhythm and accents. There is your maximum crap speed, and your maximum quality speed. I spend most of the time at the quality speed when practicing. But I do think it is good to push it some. Sort of like running, even a distance guy does some speed work.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 27 2007, 08:48 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 27 2007, 03:46 PM) *
I agree, but I do add about 20, or even 40 bps over my max clean speed some, just to push it. Then I back off, and concentrate on all notes ringing out clearly, perfect rhythm and accents. There is your maximum crap speed, and your maximum quality speed. I spend most of the time at the quality speed when practicing. But I do think it is good to push it some. Sort of like running, even a distance guy does some speed work.

laugh.gif I like the concept of "Maximum crap speed" laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 27 2007, 10:05 PM
I 2nd what Andrew says. Just experiment a little bit with the BPM until you find that sweet spot!!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 28 2007, 04:01 AM
ok thanks guys.

And andrew, i just came from the movies and saw your Avatar, seems like your JEM arrived safe wink.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 28 2007, 04:09 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jun 27 2007, 11:01 PM) *
ok thanks guys.

And andrew, i just came from the movies and saw your Avatar, seems like your JEM arrived safe wink.gif cool.gif

Yes it did - need a better picture though smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 28 2007, 03:28 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
You cant see it, but his smile is actually so big it doesnt fit on the picture. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 28 2007, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 28 2007, 10:28 AM) *
You cant see it, but his smile is actually so big it doesnt fit on the picture. smile.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:51 PM