How do you do this?
Guitar1969
Oct 31 2006, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
I have seen guitar tabs at various sites that show a chord, but one of the strings in the middle of the chord tab will be "x" - I understand it means you are not supposed to play that string, and can gather that we must mute it some way, but how is the best way to do accomplish this. Obviously if one of the end strings is supposed to not be played(Like an open D Major chord) its easy, you just don't hit that string, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it when the string is a middle string(such as the G string) I have tried putting light pressure on that string so when I play it, it doesn't ring out, but can't seem to get it right.

Any thoughts, hints, tricks.

Thanks,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dendavid
Oct 31 2006, 11:07 PM
hi guitar 1969
if like the example you give the g string is marked with an x in the tab it means like you said that you have to mute that string

try and angle or flatten your finger a bit that so that the finger that is placed on the d-string touches the g-string slightly,using the finger off the string above the one to be muted is mostly a good way off getting one string to be muted,(i usually use this technique)

or you could also try to touch the g-string with the tip off the finger that is placed on the b-string if that string is in the chord off course,(its a bit tricky if you have to switch quickly between chords though couse you have to place that finger a bit further over the b-string to do that and you might get the b-string to bend a little in doing that so that you should avoid obviously!!)

try both ways and see which one works best for you,there isnt realy a fixed guideline on that so use the one that suits you best given the situation you are in

hope you get something out off this

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dendavid: Oct 31 2006, 11:16 PM

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Nov 1 2006, 12:28 AM
I find these chords hard to play too. ...I either attempt to do like is stated above, or -I look for another way to play it. wink.gif
Honestly, I think most peices written as such were by finger pickers, I think that is the best technique for this. .....So what happens is..someone tabs it out, and then us guys using picks encounter this problem....I'm sure this is a generalization....just offering it as one possible explaination.

+Quote Post
dendavid
Nov 1 2006, 09:15 AM
hi
i've looked it up and i found 6 chords that have a muted string that is in the middle
i reccomend you look them up too couse there's a lot off chords dry.gif

if you cannot master or still have troubles with the technique i mensioned earlier there are sometimes ways of simplifie those chords which could be done by using the barré-chord on that or have the alternative chording for which you do not have to mute the string and even though it sounds exactly the same it is played on another fret(but not every chord has that alternative),

This post has been edited by dendavid: Nov 1 2006, 09:43 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:25 AM