Is There Any Hope For Those With Small Hands?, Palms too narrow to play well
Plaidman
Jan 15 2010, 11:48 PM
GMC:er
I've been struggling for a long time trying to play things that require much bigger hands than I have (I was issued small child hands for some reason). Most people say "Get a guitar with a narrow neck." I have a guitar with a narrow neck. Though my fingers are short, the length of the fingers is not the issue...the real issue is the narrow palm.

When I have my hand outstretched with the fingers touching each other, the measurement from the outside of my index finger to the outside of my pinkie is just under 3 inches. This makes it so that I must use my index finger and pinkie to do power chords where most other players use index finger and ring finger (I only get 2 notes with mine instead of 3).

It also makes it so I can't play certain things at all, like the opening to "Hot For Teacher" by Van Halen as I can't reach the 3rd and 7th frets with my index and pinkie stretched as far as they'll go.

Short of a hand transplant, or breaking and trying to stretch my hand somehow, are there any exercises that I can do that will enable me to reach up the neck farther? I'm frankly on the verge of selling my guitar, which I really don't want to do... but the point of playing guitar is to play what you want to play on it and most of what I want to play requires man-sized hands.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:07 PM