My Method Of Holding The Pick, any draw backs to this ?
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 21 2007, 09:33 PM
GMC:er
Are there any draw backs to holding the pick with the thumb,index and middle finger ( steve morse type of thing ) ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BalysLTU
Mar 21 2007, 10:16 PM
Middle finger has to go

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Mar 21 2007, 10:59 PM
chicken picking with middle finger is prety important technique sometimes smile.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 22 2007, 09:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Mar 21 2007, 04:33 PM) *
Are there any draw backs to holding the pick with the thumb,index and middle finger ( steve morse type of thing ) ?

I did exactly that before I started at GMC. I was convinced early on to lose the middle finger and now I am very glad that I did - I feel a lot more controlled, more relaxed and my speed is improving ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 22 2007, 10:01 PM
hmm ok so I should lose it ?

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
buckjones
Mar 22 2007, 10:17 PM
i vote lose it... that finger can keep you from having more control of the pick and it can be used for a other things... try it out for awhile and if you don't like it this way go back! biggrin.gif

nate

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 22 2007, 11:44 PM
Do what's most comfortable, practice without the middle finger for a while though, get used to that, and then see witch style works better for your style of playing. Thier really are no rules, Steve Morse holds the pick with his middle and index finger. I've also seen great guitarists hold the pick with only the thumb and middle finger.

So try both and if you find that they both work well, but for different things, you can alternate between picking styles.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Gren
Mar 22 2007, 11:50 PM
I used to play like that, then I "found" the best way to hold the pick. As soon as I started playing with two fingers in the best position, it turned out great. My methods looks almost identical to the way Pavel holds his pick, and I swear by it! My progression has improved an insane amount due to my correct picking method, and picking was my absolute biggest obstical, above anything else I've learned so far. I used to use my arm when picking, and little wrist movement, but now that I hold my arm in the right position, my wrist movement is very fast. I would advise you to lose the middle finger, and look at the way Pavel holds the pick, it helped me a rediculous amount, now I can play alot of metallica, and my speed picking has gotten great because of it. Good luck.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 23 2007, 01:12 AM
Well ik eddie van halen picked with the middle finger and thumb, and i tryed that and thats a real pain in the ass. But now im so comfortable with the middle finger,index and thumb that ive developed my own ways to play fast and controlled its just so natural and switchin back to the thumb and index seems like taking a step back .

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 24 2007, 01:33 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Mar 23 2007, 01:12 AM) *
Well ik eddie van halen picked with the middle finger and thumb, and i tryed that and thats a real pain in the ass. But now im so comfortable with the middle finger,index and thumb that ive developed my own ways to play fast and controlled its just so natural and switchin back to the thumb and index seems like taking a step back .

Please refer to my last post in this thread. I think that it's great when someone has a different than normal picking technique, and if you can play fast and controlled with that picking technique, you should stick with it, espescially if you are happy with your playing. smile.gif But if you aren't happy with your playing, you may wanna try a different picking to get you out of your rut, and trying new techniques and ways of doing things is a good way to break out of your box. I used to pick like you do, then I changed to index+thumb, and saw a big improvement. But then I got into another rut, and swithced back to index+middle+thumb, and saw another big improvement. Now I use both and I pick better than ever. So my advice to you is try new things if you're stuck in a rut.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 24 2007, 01:45 AM
Thanks man always nice to hear what Rip_Dime has to say. biggrin.gif I wasnt trying to ignore your last post I was just clarifying my methods and making sure it was uundestandable. Ive started to do a combination of both and its working well. Thanks Gmcerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssss laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Mar 24 2007, 01:49 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 24 2007, 04:08 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Mar 24 2007, 01:45 AM) *
Thanks man always nice to hear what Rip_Dime has to say. biggrin.gif I wasnt trying to ignore your last post I was just clarifying my methods and making sure it was uundestandable. Ive started to do a combination of both and its working well. Thanks Gmcerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssss laugh.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

biggrin.gif Don't be afraid to post any problems you run into.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:10 AM