2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Economic Picking Pattern & Hand Stretch, Quick Licks #7 (Econ Picking & Stretch)
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2017, 09:52 AM
GMC:er
ECONOMIC PICKING & HAND STRETCH LICK

INTRO:

This lick is based on "Economic Picking", E.G. Riding the horse in the direction it's going. In other words, taking advantage of the natural motion of the hand. When picking from the A string toward the D string, using two successive down strokes would be an example of "Economic Picking" smile.gif

Here is the tablature. As always, start SLOW, don't worry about playing this fast. Just focus on playing it CLEAN Speed is a byproduct of precision. Just like previous quick licks, this lick works as a warmup, practice and solo lick. Don't over stress on getting it just right, or fast enough. This is just about learning the lick.

Attached Image

Attached File  7.gp5 ( 2.28K ) Number of downloads: 128

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This lick is connected to the BRIT SABBATH COLLAB by our own GABRIEL LEOPARDI! Here is the link the collab

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=58700&st=0

*Here is the Backing Track for you to download
Attached File  sabbath.mp3 ( 2.38MB ) Number of downloads: 112

*Here is the Backing Track without Guitars
Attached File  Sabbatth_no_guitars.mp3 ( 2.38MB ) Number of downloads: 120

BTW:
If you find ECON PICKING is not your thing, or it's getting in the way, put it aside for now and try it any way that feels right. Follow your instincts!

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 30 2017, 10:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Dec 19 2017, 11:00 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

this is my take.... need a lot of strech, cause i have short finger !!! wink.gif

Cheers

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2017, 04:09 AM
Let me say first off, WELL DONE on having the stones to be the first to take this on. It's all about a 7 fret stretch and vibrato at that stretch using the pinky. I knew it would be a challenge. I have tried to turn it up, then turn it down on some Quick Licks. I fear I may have turned it up way to far on this one. I'm going to be turning it down for the next one. After all, these are meant to be "quick". Not something that you have to stop everything else just to learn the lilck. So I apologize for making this one so much of a bear. I appreciate you taking it on. I hope you are not the only one who tries!!! Let's debrief!

You not only did a fine job on the single pick, but also tossed in MULTiPICK!! Nice!!!! I notice that you sorta found your own picking pattern on this which is fine, the econ portion of this is only part of it. Actually playing it and getting your pinky hanging out there by itself and keeping it under control is a big part of it and you KILLED IT!!!!!

If you don't mind, can you tell me what it was like for you learning this lick? Was the picking or the pinky the harder bit? Also, do you think you could use it in a solo as with the backing for example? I'm not asking you to record another, just asking if you think you could pull it off?

Back to the biz at hand, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Dec 19 2017, 06:00 PM) *
Hi Todd

this is my take.... need a lot of strech, cause i have short finger !!! wink.gif

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 23 2017, 11:27 PM
Being that it's XMAS I'm going to give everyone another week on this to get in a take. I know this one is NOT easy. I know you guys can do it!!!

Todd

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 28 2017, 01:05 PM
Learning Rock Star

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 28 2017, 01:06 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 28 2017, 09:31 PM
That was perfect. Even sped it up a bit from the original and it was still perfect and you nailed the pinky vibrato at the end as a bonus!! It's all there, the hand synch, the clean picking, the lock solid pace, the stretch, stuck the landing on the pinky and gave it a good wide vibrato. Pretty much everything I was trying to stuff in this lick you have down pat. You make it look shockingly easy as a matter of fact. I was worried that this one was just too darn hard but after seeing you just kill it, I think I may have been wrong. You really made it look like a walk in the park!!!1

I hope I get some more takes here to show that other folks can nail this as well. I'm sure it will be harder for some given that it does require large stretch and sticking the landing with the pinky which is something people usually have real difficulty with as most folks just don't use the pinky that much 7 frets out with vibrato smile.gif In short you just

LEVELED UP!!!
*Also you are one of the few with the STAR OF HONOR for completing ALL of the QUICK LICKS. Super Congrats!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 28 2017, 08:05 AM) *

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 12 2018, 12:13 AM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!
Ahhh the pinky stretch is a trademark of yours Captain!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2018, 03:33 AM
The PINKY STRETCH is indeed a trademark smile.gif The pinky can't get enough work. Ever. It's always the runt of the litter in terms of fingers. It's always the smallest, weakest of all it's brothers. As such it could always use a bit more work smile.gif Not matter what stage of the game a player is at. This lick forces you to stick the landing with your pinky, over and over. Giving it practice of hitting and nailing a fret, way up on the fretboard, without any help from it's brothers. It's a way to isolate the pinky and show any of it's weaknesses so you can make it stronger. You did a fine job on this considering you have not been playing that long and I'm guessing this is one of the first of this type of drill you've tried. I can hear that a few pinky notes are a bit less clear/clean than they could be but you are always hitting the right fret and are always in time. In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 11 2018, 07:13 PM) *
My take Sarge!
Ahhh the pinky stretch is a trademark of yours Captain!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 11 2018, 08:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Todd,

On the last note of the 2nd, 4th and 6th bars, which direction should that be picked in? I keep switching to alternate picking at that point mad.gif I trying to do a double up pick with the next note, is this correct?

Thanks

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 11 2018, 08:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 14 2018, 09:10 PM
Hello Todd,

OK, here is my first attempt at this tricky little bugger #7.

Please advise.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/pATZ3v7eFqI

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2018, 04:07 AM
Props again for having the stones to attack a very difficult Quick Lick!! The stretch in this is just a MONSTER. It's a great way to work in your PINKY POWER!! You get almost all the way through it and then about 12 seconds in it sorta hits a bump and goes awry. You may be pushing the speed just a pinch beyond what your fingers are ready for. I'd say pull out the metronome on this one and slow it down a pinch until you can make it clean all the way through.
Also, I notice that you are having to change your hand position right before the ending which is creating a bit of a hiccup. Try to start from the end and play the bit backwards in terms of the fingering so that you are starting with the hardest bit first in order to see where your hand will need to be. That way you can begin with your hand in a position that works for both the first notes played and the last notes played. Does that make sense?
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 14 2018, 04:10 PM) *
Hello Todd,

OK, here is my first attempt at this tricky little bugger #7.

Please advise.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/pATZ3v7eFqI

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 15 2018, 01:40 PM
Thanks Todd,

I'm on it, one of the problems I have, as well as what you have said is on the last note of the 2nd, 4th and 6th bars, which direction should that be picked in? I keep switching to alternate picking at that point mad.gif I trying to do a double up pick along with the next note, is this correct? I do an up pick as that is economy but then I have to do another as that is what is required in the TAB. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 15 2018, 09:10 PM
Hello Todd,

Had another 15 minutes on this tonight, pushed for time a little but I think it's a bit better.

Please advise.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/ZNn6Ml0Prkk

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2018, 05:02 AM
You got it!!! This one is much better. I know the bit you are talking about that is causing trouble. It's a sort of"Turn Around" bit that can be picked any way that is comfy but I'm doing it like this.
Third Bar: Open String down stroke, first fretted note up stroke, second fretted note, down stroke. The two fretted notes are done as inside picking and after this, the open string up stroke, next two notes picked down stroke, re starts. That's the bit that I really want folks to take away from this. If you just loop the first three notes in the bit it makes a great econ drill. Also, try this as alternate picking and see what you think. For me, this is twice as hard done alternate as econ. Let me know what you think.

It's great to see you get the hang of this!! You have nailed it and ....
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 15 2018, 04:10 PM) *
Hello Todd,

Had another 15 minutes on this tonight, pushed for time a little but I think it's a bit better.

Please advise.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/ZNn6Ml0Prkk

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 16 2018, 08:27 PM
Thanks Todd,

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 8 2018, 12:36 PM
Learning Roadie
quick licks 7

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Aug 8 2018, 12:38 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2018, 09:58 PM
You've got very good reach here to be sure!!! This is very close to the lick but it seems you may be starting on a different string and not quite getting the picking sequence. Also, your note progression with the pinky is very close but needs a pinch of a tweak. If you are playing from hear based on the video you are doing very well to get as much of it as you did. You clearly have the ability to play this type of lick and have very good control of the pinky which is the key!!!

Take a closer look at the tablature and no need to play it briskly, this one is about following a picking pattern that isn't symmetrical. The last note before each change goes back down one string. It's easy to miss that. Give this one more go and you've got it!
Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 8 2018, 07:36 AM) *
quick licks 7

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 15 2018, 12:10 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2018, 12:59 AM
Sound is perfect!!! I hate to say this, but your missing the main focus of this one which is to use "economic picking" e.g. Two down strokes in a row. When I listen to this lick it's perfect. But when I looked at your picking, I see that your not doing econ picking. You can clearly play this and play it well, in perfect time, great palm mute, spot on. This drill is all about the econ picking so as much as I hate to send you back to the arena, I really would like to see you do it as an econ picking lick as that's why I made this lick. to get people to work on their econ picking. It's not something that comes naturally for many people. For some people it's nearly impossible. I think you can do it!!! In the tablature, that square upside down horse shoe looking thing means down stroke. so there are two down strokes in a row each time. The picking pattern just repeats which is why I only put picking notation on the first bit. But not everyone even notices the picking notation or knows what it means. I know you can play this!!! Here is the tablature bit again.the picking notation is above the tab on bottom looking like a V and square upside down horshoe. the V is up stroke, the horse shoe is down stroke. It's something worth doing as it will come up again.
Attached Image
I start talking about it about 50 seconds in to the video.
I apologize for having you go back to the front and fight again, I just would hate to have you pass through this without getting something out of it.
Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 15 2018, 07:10 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 16 2018, 12:59 AM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 28 2018, 12:16 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:54 PM