8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Carlos Bootcamp, Get Ready to Bleed Soldier!!!
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2018, 02:30 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
http://bit.ly/carlosbootcamp
Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 21 2018, 08:50 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 18 2018, 10:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you!
I'm very enthusiastic, let's work there;)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2018, 09:58 PM
IF you like, you can do several missions at once. With your experience, these will seem quite simple. So it will be fine if you want to do several in one vid. Say 5 or even 10 if you like. I want to get you to the challenging bits which will help you increase your speed/precision that are further in.
Sarge
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 18 2018, 05:07 AM) *
Thank you!
I'm very enthusiastic, let's work there;)

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 19 2018, 09:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Todd!
Thank you very much for your concern, but last year I attended a school that follows the plan of rockschool, it was good because I touched things I would not normally touch but in regards to metal that is my goal, I did not touch anything and the truth is that I slowed down and some techniques such as sweep and tapping were not even addressed. So I'm going to do my best during this week on Mission 1 and then post a video for you to evaluate. If it goes well then maybe next time I can try to do more than a mission. I want to feel challenged but not overwhelmed.
Thank you one more time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2018, 07:22 PM
Sure thing smile.gif I want you to feel challenged as well, but not swamped! So yeah feel it out and see what you think smile.gif The first several missions are quite basic so you should not have a problem with mission 1.

Sarge

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 19 2018, 04:09 AM) *
Hello Todd!
Thank you very much for your concern, but last year I attended a school that follows the plan of rockschool, it was good because I touched things I would not normally touch but in regards to metal that is my goal, I did not touch anything and the truth is that I slowed down and some techniques such as sweep and tapping were not even addressed. So I'm going to do my best during this week on Mission 1 and then post a video for you to evaluate. If it goes well then maybe next time I can try to do more than a mission. I want to feel challenged but not overwhelmed.
Thank you one more time!

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 19 2018, 07:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
How fast is it supposed to achieve to complete the mission successfully?BPM=?

This post has been edited by Carlos Ferreira: Jul 19 2018, 08:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 02:39 AM
There is NO SPEED REQUIREMENT, ever. Speed is just a byproduct of precision. So it's more important that you play in a controlled, precise manner. We are trying to build the basic core of good technique so that you can grow in to your speed. It will happen along the way. So play each Mission at a comfortable speed where you are in complete control. If you push it too far near the edge of your ability, you start to lose control and thus lose precision. I want to avoid pushing you in to sloppy playing by trying to force you towards a certain BPM. You'd be better served by spending the time you would have spend trying to play a Mission briskly, but taking that time and just doing the next mission. Your skills will expand as you take on harder and harder Missions. Make sense?
Sarge

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 19 2018, 02:50 PM) *
How fast is it supposed to achieve to complete the mission successfully?BPM=?

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 21 2018, 11:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 21 2018, 01:39 AM) *
There is NO SPEED REQUIREMENT, ever. Speed is just a byproduct of precision. So it's more important that you play in a controlled, precise manner. We are trying to build the basic core of good technique so that you can grow in to your speed. It will happen along the way. So play each Mission at a comfortable speed where you are in complete control. If you push it too far near the edge of your ability, you start to lose control and thus lose precision. I want to avoid pushing you in to sloppy playing by trying to force you towards a certain BPM. You'd be better served by spending the time you would have spend trying to play a Mission briskly, but taking that time and just doing the next mission. Your skills will expand as you take on harder and harder Missions. Make sense?
Sarge

Hello Todd!
Yes it makes sense.
I'm going to record and I'm already sending the video.
Thank you!

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 21 2018, 10:03 AM) *
Hello Todd!
Yes it makes sense.
I'm going to record and I'm already sending the video.
Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izXLcvY14lI

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 07:31 PM
I had a peek at the video and it looks great! But I can't give you a Mission debrief until you "EMBED" the video per BOOTCAMP regulations. Just click on REPLY and then click on INSERT SPECIAL ITEMS (above the smiley face) you will get a drop down menu, select INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO. Paste the link of your youtube video in the text box that pops up. Trim the link down to the video id which is explained on the pop up window.

Part of the first few lessons are to get you up to speed on how boot camp works. Embed this bad boy ( and all future ) and we can get moving!!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 21 2018, 07:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 21 2018, 06:31 PM) *
I had a peek at the video and it looks great! But I can't give you a Mission debrief until you "EMBED" the video per BOOTCAMP regulations. Just click on REPLY and then click on INSERT SPECIAL ITEMS (above the smiley face) you will get a drop down menu, select INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO. Paste the link of your youtube video in the text box that pops up. Trim the link down to the video id which is explained on the pop up window.

Part of the first few lessons are to get you up to speed on how boot camp works. Embed this bad boy ( and all future ) and we can get moving!!!

Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 08:44 PM
WELCOME TO THE FIGHT SOLDIER!!! First off I must compliment you on your Weapon of choice! Nice Ibby! You attack this one with Verve and Aggression Soldier! As it should be! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*MUTE: Super Well Done on your mute technique. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. Is this your normal technique or did you read me going on about this in a post somewhere? Either way, NICE!!!
*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues. You have very tight right/left hand synch!
*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging. Some players can, some players can't. You Soldier, CAN!!!
In short, you really KRUSHED this. Congrats on your FIRST MISSION in the can!! You have officially ...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

ON TO MISSION #2 SOLDIER!!!!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 21 2018, 02:57 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 21 2018, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 21 2018, 09:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you so much for these motivating words!
Yes this is my normal technique, but I changed my pick and I used sandpaper when I read your post, it really makes a lot of difference.
I used to use a Jazz III John Petrucci pickup and I happen to have a 1.0mm Clayton at home. It gives me more attack and greater stability in the hand due to the size.
I'll start misson 2 already.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2018, 10:02 PM
It does indeed! I used to carve my picks with a sharp pocket knife so that they had a bevel on both sides and met at a fine point. I use 1.mm or thicker. below 1.mm you start getting flex/bend in the pick which I just despise as it reduces precision IMHO.
I started out using 1.0 mm clayton picks!! smile.gif It was the only pick that was thick enough and that I could shape easily with a knife. I worked with Vinnie at Vpicks to make the "Switchblade Buffed" which had the bevel/point/1.0mm direct from the builder. Then I worked with VonHotch here at GMC and he made me some picks out of aircraft aluminum! Love them. It's got a big hole in the middle for grip. This was years ago and now pick builders are starting to add the hole as in the Black Hole by Vpicks. It really helps keep the pick steady in ones hand. People underestimate how important the pick is to precise playing. smile.gifI liked the size of the clayton as well. Also the material seemed to reduce pick slippage. The Jazz picks have the right idea, just a bit too small for me.

My first post from many years ago which is still part of lesson 1 shows me holding a Clayton 1.0 mm to demonstrate how to hold a pick smile.gif

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 21 2018, 04:02 PM) *
Thank you so much for these motivating words!
Yes this is my normal technique, but I changed my pick and I used sandpaper when I read your post, it really makes a lot of difference.
I used to use a Jazz III John Petrucci pickup and I happen to have a 1.0mm Clayton at home. It gives me more attack and greater stability in the hand due to the size.
I'll start misson 2 already.

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 21 2018, 10:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
I was watching your video with Blackhole and it looks very good.
But the material seems to be glossy is not it?
Usually picks with this type of finish tend to rotate between the fingers.
The hole solves this problem is that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2018, 01:00 AM
it is glossy but the hole in the middle keeps it from slipping. It's almost locked in to position by the hole. Your fingers actually touch through the gap in the pick. I love that pick. I think they should put holes in every pick smile.gif Actually, just using a drill or something like a dremmel I might put holes in all of my non hole picks!

Todd

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 21 2018, 05:40 PM) *
I was watching your video with Blackhole and it looks very good.
But the material seems to be glossy is not it?
Usually picks with this type of finish tend to rotate between the fingers.
The hole solves this problem is that?

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 23 2018, 05:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Sarge!
Here is the video of Mission 2!
Waiting for feedback!
Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2018, 06:49 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!! You are off to a very good start here. I notice that you picking technique is much improved from just Mission 1! Let's debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING TECHNIQUE: Your overall stance and general picking technique are much improved which is quite impressive considering I only gave you advice about it a short time ago. Well done on adapting to a new way of doing things!
*MUTING: Also much improved from last time! Again very quick adaptation to an entirely different way of doing things. You are keeping the palm flat and articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger as God intended. Well done!!! It's almost like the forked tongue style. One fork of the tongue (the palm ) stays planted, while the other fork (the fingers/thumb) moves about.
*SYNCH: This Mission is a good chance to see if your playing will fall apart once we start bouncing around the neck. Good news! Solid as a rock.

It's all there, solid picking, muting, synch. Nice!!! This is exactly what I hope Soldiers get out of these first Missions. Just to leave them with a more solid overall technique than they entered with. It provides the foundation for the truly crazy bits that come later on. You Krushed it Soldier!!! In other words you just...
LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

You are ready for Mission 3!!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 23 2018, 12:43 PM) *
Hello Sarge!
Here is the video of Mission 2!
Waiting for feedback!
Thank you!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 24 2018, 06:50 AM

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 25 2018, 10:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Sarge!
Here are the videos of the 3rd and 4th Mission!

The Soldier Carlos wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2018, 06:28 AM
Nice!!!!!! Soldier this is impressive. Mission 3 is a chance for me to really look at your precision and synch. mission 4 is a good chance to see what your endurance is like, sorta pushing Mission 3 in to crazy territory. let's debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PALM MUTE STEADY ON: You have adjusted your palm muting technique since the first vid and it continues to impress. It's not easy for folks to entirely change the way they approach the instrument and I'm very glad you were able to make the change to resting the palm and articulating with the thumb/first finger. It will greatly increase your ability to move forward in your technique.
*PICKING STEADY ON: Also since vid one, your picking has improved. you are articulating very well and not letting your hand drift too much up and down the strings instead keeping the hand mostly centered which is IMHO a great approach.

*ENDURANCE: I have not had a chance to really see your endurance on display until Mission 4 and I'm impressed. This Mission is one that can burn your arm off if you are not doing it correctly which is sorta the point of Mission 4. if one tries this mission using the STIFF ARM picking technique, for example, it won't last long.

You are doing very well in these foundational Missions. Keep going!! They will keep getting harder as you go but you are more than ready Soldier!! In other words you just.... LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 25 2018, 05:52 PM) *
Hello Sarge!
Here are the videos of the 3rd and 4th Mission!

The Soldier Carlos wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 18 2018, 05:06 AM

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Jul 27 2018, 04:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Many thanks Todd!
I really like this challenge;)

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:09 PM