2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Broke The Rules !
Ben Higgins
Feb 11 2014, 07:11 PM
Instructor
Ok, so you've seen Todd's thread about buying guitars from the internet etc yeah ? Well, I do agree with the T-Master but I'd had my eye on this beauty and there was no music shop near enough that stocked it. So my only option was to bite the bullet and order it without playing it.

Lo and behold, it's awesome.. it's an Ibanez RG7421. Not a top spec model by any means but a respectable entry level 7. I'll be changing the strings when I can (I'm pretty sure they've got 11's on !) and will adjust the truss rod accordingly to cancel out any buzz but apart from that it plays great. The pickups are better than I'd actually expected. For stock pickups they're not weak like they could have been. It's got a tad more juice than my Jackson and the neck is just LUVERLY ! I call it 'The Spartan' because it's bare bones and is ready for war ! cool.gif

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 11 2014, 07:45 PM
GMC:er
Congrats! smile.gif

P.s. after setup don't forget to check the nut too as on affordable guitars they're usually higher than needed, to me its the main difference of what makes a guitar feel as good as it can smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 11 2014, 07:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Feb 11 2014, 08:30 PM
Tone Seeker
Bad boy 'eh tongue.gif Have fun !

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 11 2014, 08:35 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Oh snap! Ben has an extra string to shred on, this is one of the signs of the apocalypse! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2014, 08:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
WOW congrats! smile.gif

That guitar looks absolutely beautiful.

How does it feel to play a 7 string? smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 11 2014, 08:40 PM
Like I said on another thread...I broke Todd's rules 3 times recently with a guitar and two basses and haven't been disappointed....

Spartan looks nice...is that your first seven stringer? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 11 2014, 10:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Love it Ben, looks awesome. I've been wanting a 7-8 string for a while and something like that would probably be right up my alley.

Can't wait to hear some of the brutal riffing I know you'll create with that. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 12 2014, 12:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
ya , I broke the rules too, http://www.rondomusic.com/hawker727bkflameleft.html
but being left handed I have no choice because the store do not keep anything but Gibsons (which I don't like )
This pick up seems alright , But I am putting crunch lab in the bridge( I am hoping it will sustain better) and the cleans I have heard were a little more pleasant from it.
3 months old and there is already fret wear
when I first got it and didn't know my scales yet , ya seem to just chug down on that B
anyway looks great, can't wait to get some lessons from that , enjoy

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 01:10 AM
SUPER CONGRATS!!! smile.gif For a new IBBY it's worth taking the risk!! I'm glad it's awesome smile.gif Is it brand new or used? Looks great!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of ERG!! (Extended Range Guitars)

You just happen to have picked my ALL TIME FAV 7 string guitar neck. It happens to be attached to that guitar as well as it's fraternal twin the RG7620 . The Wizard 7 neck is just brilliant smile.gif I've played some seven string guitars that were borderline awful just due to the neck design. The only main diff in my 7 from yours is a locking term and slightly different pups. To this day it remains my fav 7 of any I've played. So you have chosen wisely IMHO! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 11 2014, 01:11 PM) *
Ok, so you've seen Todd's thread about buying guitars from the internet etc yeah ? Well, I do agree with the T-Master but I'd had my eye on this beauty and there was no music shop near enough that stocked it. So my only option was to bite the bullet and order it without playing it.

Lo and behold, it's awesome.. it's an Ibanez RG7421. Not a top spec model by any means but a respectable entry level 7. I'll be changing the strings when I can (I'm pretty sure they've got 11's on !) and will adjust the truss rod accordingly to cancel out any buzz but apart from that it plays great. The pickups are better than I'd actually expected. For stock pickups they're not weak like they could have been. It's got a tad more juice than my Jackson and the neck is just LUVERLY ! I call it 'The Spartan' because it's bare bones and is ready for war ! cool.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Feb 12 2014, 01:24 AM
Nice guitar! Congrats! smile.gif

Can someone tell to novice, what are the good and great things on 7 strings vs. 6 strings smile.gif
For me it's maybe too bold, because I don't have very big hands. I'm Just curious to know the differences for 6 strings.

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Ezmix 2 + many metal packs
Reaper

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 06:11 AM
Well, it's pretty simple actually smile.gif It's the 7TH STRING!! smile.gif The low string on a 7 is a LOW B by default and is responsible for much of the DJENTY CHUG in the world. It also lets you run your scales lower without moving down the fret board.

Some folks play a 7 and LOVE it. Some folks try it and HATE it. Some folks give it a "Meh". Really depends on the player. If you are thinking about getting a 7, per usual, I"m gonna say GO TRY ONE!!!!! smile.gif You may find your in love and need one! But you may not.

I really dig my 7 and my 8 string guitars. But they are different beasts than my 6 strings. They make great rhythm guitars for deep chugging smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Feb 11 2014, 07:24 PM) *
Nice guitar! Congrats! smile.gif

Can someone tell to novice, what are the good and great things on 7 strings vs. 6 strings smile.gif
For me it's maybe too bold, because I don't have very big hands. I'm Just curious to know the differences for 6 strings.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 12 2014, 09:43 AM
Instructor
Congrats Ben! I'm sure you will put it to good use, mate! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 12 2014, 10:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 11 2014, 07:35 PM) *
Oh snap! Ben has an extra string to shred on, this is one of the signs of the apocalypse! ph34r.gif

Yeah I'm sure there's something about a 7 headed beast in the book of Revelation rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 11 2014, 07:38 PM) *
WOW congrats! smile.gif

That guitar looks absolutely beautiful.

How does it feel to play a 7 string? smile.gif

Thanks B-Master. It's great.. it can be a bit intimidating mainly when you forget what string you're in. It does totally change your perspective as to where your pick is. Apart from that, it's not as weird as people might think smile.gif

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 11 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Like I said on another thread...I broke Todd's rules 3 times recently with a guitar and two basses and haven't been disappointed....

Spartan looks nice...is that your first seven stringer? biggrin.gif

It's nice when the rule breaking actually works for a change !

Yes, first 7 ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 12 2014, 12:10 AM) *
SUPER CONGRATS!!! smile.gif For a new IBBY it's worth taking the risk!! I'm glad it's awesome smile.gif Is it brand new or used? Looks great!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of ERG!! (Extended Range Guitars)

You just happen to have picked my ALL TIME FAV 7 string guitar neck. It happens to be attached to that guitar as well as it's fraternal twin the RG7620 . The Wizard 7 neck is just brilliant smile.gif I've played some seven string guitars that were borderline awful just due to the neck design. The only main diff in my 7 from yours is a locking term and slightly different pups. To this day it remains my fav 7 of any I've played. So you have chosen wisely IMHO! smile.gif

Todd

It's all new, which is good smile.gif

I'm in love with the neck.. I've played RG's before and always thought how comfortable they are so I'm well pleased to finally have my own. I've been eyeing a 7 for ages because I'm writing solo material and there's scope for lower tunings but I wanted to retain the higher range of a 6 string. Tuning down was out so it had to be a 7 !

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Feb 12 2014, 10:43 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 12 2014, 11:33 AM
Instructor
Congrats on Your new axe! Currently we (Music Shop I work for) test some some cheap 7 strings from Ibanez, SGR and Jackson. I've got a GRG7221 which has a regular 25,5 scale ...hmmm...Does Your have extended or regular measure ?smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 12 2014, 02:19 PM
Instructor
It looks beautiful Ben!! I love white guitars. Congrats!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 12 2014, 03:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 12 2014, 10:33 AM) *
Congrats on Your new axe! Currently we (Music Shop I work for) test some some cheap 7 strings from Ibanez, SGR and Jackson. I've got a GRG7221 which has a regular 25,5 scale ...hmmm...Does Your have extended or regular measure ?smile.gif

I'm pretty sure it's regular length smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 12 2014, 01:19 PM) *
It looks beautiful Ben!! I love white guitars. Congrats!! smile.gif

Yes me too !!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2014, 08:02 AM
The RG7 series ben had and my RG7620 are both 25.5 Scale Length which is PERFECT IMHO smile.gif

I do see lots of folks bagging on any 7 string below 27 inch scale in certain forums that shale go unmentioned (seven string.org ahem) but that's mostly bunk. The 25.5 length is more than adequate to have good tension on the low B and it retains all the wonderful playability of the Ibanez neck which has amazing feel and very comfy string tension, making string bends a breeze. smile.gif

I"ve played longer 7 strings and just hated them. Again, personal prefs here, but the extra long necks are longer to increase the tension on the low strings, mostly for Djenting smile.gif This is fine on an 8 string, but on a 7? IT makes the strings feel way to tight IMHO and ruins the playability of the guitar.

I had an 8 string Ibanez RG8 with a 27inch scale length and I just couldn't stand the way it played. I tried the pricier versions of their 8 and couldn't stand those either.

Don't get me wrong though, if you are looking to "DJENT" and just to low string chugging, go for a 30inch scale length! Why not smile.gif But if you are actually going to try to use the guitar as an expressive instrument, ............

The one way I've seen so far of getting around this problem is by using FANNED FRETS. This allowed the high string to be at a smaller scale length and the low 7 or 8th string to be at a longer scale length. That way you get the best of both worlds smile.gif

Here is a fanned fret Halo guitar that I made with their "web configurator" smile.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 12 2014, 09:41 AM) *
I'm pretty sure it's regular length smile.gif

Yes me too !!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 13 2014, 12:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 13 2014, 07:02 AM) *
The RG7 series ben had and my RG7620 are both 25.5 Scale Length which is PERFECT IMHO smile.gif

I do see lots of folks bagging on any 7 string below 27 inch scale in certain forums that shale go unmentioned (seven string.org ahem) but that's mostly bunk. The 25.5 length is more than adequate to have good tension on the low B and it retains all the wonderful playability of the Ibanez neck which has amazing feel and very comfy string tension, making string bends a breeze. smile.gif

I"ve played longer 7 strings and just hated them. Again, personal prefs here, but the extra long necks are longer to increase the tension on the low strings, mostly for Djenting smile.gif This is fine on an 8 string, but on a 7? IT makes the strings feel way to tight IMHO and ruins the playability of the guitar.

Yeah although I've not played an 8 or an extended length geetar I can totally imagine that. Different people want different things. For the people who want ultra tight, focused Djent style riffs, suppleness of strings for seamless legato and Yngwie style bending is not their priority. It's the same with string gauges and how everybody says heavier gauges are better for tone. Whose tone, exactly ?

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 13 2014, 12:44 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 13 2014, 12:37 PM) *
It's the same with string gauges and how everybody says heavier gauges are better for tone. Whose tone, exactly ?

Tony Iommi? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 13 2014, 07:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 13 2014, 11:44 AM) *
Tony Iommi? laugh.gif

Now here's the funny thing.. Tony uses incredibly light strings because of his fingertip injuries. Combined with down tuning this puts less pressure on the tips of his fingers.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:48 AM