2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Moshing., What the heck is it about?
Jesse
Apr 20 2009, 08:46 AM
GMC:er
What the title says:D

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 20 2009, 08:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jesse @ Apr 20 2009, 08:46 AM) *
What the title says:D

Goes back to the angry young men of the punk era, people would punch and spit at each other and the bands back then, moshing is just the remnants of that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 20 2009, 08:50 AM
So, it's pretty much a bunch of noobs who can't contain themselves? POST 1250 biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jesse: Apr 20 2009, 08:50 AM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 20 2009, 08:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well maybe now. but back then it was a serious outlet for people in troubled times, also a lot of political statements were made during the punk era and a lot of modern bands owe their success to this era, green day, nine inch nails etc

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Apr 20 2009, 08:58 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Let Your question be answered by the mighty Metal loremaster laugh.gif Check 1:20 for the answer:P

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 20 2009, 09:09 AM
Learning Tone Master
Go to a metal show and stand arround 10 feet from the stage, that's where you find your Moshpit!

The term Mosh is derrived from the Anthrax song *caught in a Mosh* and the Moshpit is just the Metal/hardcore version of the Punk Pogopit. Instead of just jumping on spot like in a pogopit, people run arround and push each other arround to the sound of the band, creating a circular area in the audience with a lot of Movement going on.

The Moshpit in Metal is so called 'good friendly violent fun'. It's pretty intense but if you fall down, people will immediatley lift you back on your feet. You just have a great time, you mosh yourself into ecstasy while you hear your band play, you get physical exercise and you'll have the bruises to prove you were at a metal show.

Moshing has some extreme forms, some aren't even funny anymore:

-Circle pit: Moshpit with people runnig in the same direction, creating a big circle in the audience, fun and looks great from stage

-Wall of Death: Audience is divided into two parts and when the band gives a sign, the masses of people rund into each other, looks cool but there is a chance of seriously hurting yourself

-Violent Dancing: Most common in the hardcore/metalcore genre; kiddies with sportswear doing spinkicks and punches in the air; might feel cool for the one doing it but it looks retarded imho and the chance of accidently hitting someone is really high...

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Apr 20 2009, 09:10 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 20 2009, 10:30 AM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Apr 20 2009, 10:58 AM) *
Let Your question be answered by the mighty Metal loremaster laugh.gif Check 1:20 for the answer:P

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Zakk, you seems are quite experienced metalhead tongue.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Apr 20 2009, 10:31 AM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 20 2009, 11:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 20 2009, 11:30 AM) *
Zakk, you seems are quite experienced metalhead tongue.gif

I do my best cool.gif

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 20 2009, 12:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
I remember some years back, when I used to attend these cheap-to-get-into Death Metal gigs. There were also moshpits, circle pits etc. When I had had enough to drink I'd gladly join in. I kept away from the Wall of Death though.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 20 2009, 01:04 PM
Mosh pits are about kids with way too much hormoes destroying a perfectly good concert. It's stupid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 20 2009, 02:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 20 2009, 10:09 AM) *
Go to a metal show and stand arround 10 feet from the stage, that's where you find your Moshpit!

The term Mosh is derrived from the Anthrax song *caught in a Mosh* and the Moshpit is just the Metal/hardcore version of the Punk Pogopit. Instead of just jumping on spot like in a pogopit, people run arround and push each other arround to the sound of the band, creating a circular area in the audience with a lot of Movement going on.

The Moshpit in Metal is so called 'good friendly violent fun'. It's pretty intense but if you fall down, people will immediatley lift you back on your feet. You just have a great time, you mosh yourself into ecstasy while you hear your band play, you get physical exercise and you'll have the bruises to prove you were at a metal show.

Moshing has some extreme forms, some aren't even funny anymore:

-Circle pit: Moshpit with people runnig in the same direction, creating a big circle in the audience, fun and looks great from stage

-Wall of Death: Audience is divided into two parts and when the band gives a sign, the masses of people rund into each other, looks cool but there is a chance of seriously hurting yourself

-Violent Dancing: Most common in the hardcore/metalcore genre; kiddies with sportswear doing spinkicks and punches in the air; might feel cool for the one doing it but it looks retarded imho and the chance of accidently hitting someone is really high...

That is some serious mosh theory Zakk - respect biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
dusty
Apr 20 2009, 02:22 PM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Apr 20 2009, 07:58 AM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
hilarious

--------------------
"smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 20 2009, 02:24 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (sted @ Apr 20 2009, 07:49 AM) *
Goes back to the angry young men of the punk era, people would punch and spit at each other and the bands back then, moshing is just the remnants of that.

100% with Sted on this.

I can remember going to see groups like Black Flag, Bad Brains and Scream - all US hard core punk - way back in the very early 80s. People moshed at those gigs and sI can remember Bad Brains using the term.

I also remember going to see The Damned back in the very late 70s and people were slam dancing. There was one very big skin who was slam dancing and everyone was keeping their distance - every now and then one of his mates would body check someone in to him and he'd deck them. It wasn't all about pogoing smile.gif wink.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 20 2009, 07:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Apr 20 2009, 02:24 PM) *
100% with Sted on this.

I can remember going to see groups like Black Flag, Bad Brains and Scream - all US hard core punk - way back in the very early 80s. People moshed at those gigs and sI can remember Bad Brains using the term.

I also remember going to see The Damned back in the very late 70s and people were slam dancing. There was one very big skin who was slam dancing and everyone was keeping their distance - every now and then one of his mates would body check someone in to him and he'd deck them. It wasn't all about pogoing smile.gif wink.gif .

Yeah, the skins take it another level, you get kids just banging into each other but these guys would just have full on brawls with each other, never done anything that extreme but god help you if you ever fell down!!

+Quote Post
steve25
Apr 21 2009, 09:38 AM
As already explain, pretty much an aggressive form of "dance" i supposed to bands. They're generally not too bad with a few exceptions like the wall of death. Personally i'd rather step back from something like that. I believe Lamb of God use to do that, until a few people died.

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 21 2009, 10:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Good ole fun, but please, please - if you're gonna mosh, please remove sharp/spikey jewellery tongue.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Apr 21 2009, 10:39 PM
Instructor
I played in a Thrash Metal band some time ago, and people moshed with our music, however I have never joined the mosh pit myself. I wouldn't enjoy being hit accidentaly

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Apr 21 2009, 10:58 PM
moshiing is amazing. I moshed at black label scoiety a coupole days ago, so fun! just if it looks to intense for you, whatever you do don't go in it, or hit/punch anyone in a mosh. its acually a lot of fun

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 22 2009, 01:13 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Apr 21 2009, 11:58 PM) *
moshiing is amazing. I moshed at black label scoiety a coupole days ago, so fun! just if it looks to intense for you, whatever you do don't go in it, or hit/punch anyone in a mosh. its acually a lot of fun

It indeed is fun! It's a little ruff and you might get some bruises but you only life once^^

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Apr 22 2009, 01:24 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 21 2009, 08:13 PM) *
It indeed is fun! It's a little ruff and you might get some bruises but you only life once^^

haha thats the expression my dad used to get me to crowdsurf :-p and yes i have a new injury from the i cant bend my leg at the groin past a certain point now haha

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:01 AM