2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Studying Guitar At Berkeley
Saint_arc
Jun 5 2008, 07:57 PM
GMC:er
I have been pondering the idea of studying guitar at the Berkeley Institute of Music for sometime now. Has anyone here on GMC studied there? I won't be going for another 4 to 5 years but I am seriously considering this institute? Please feel free to offer up any advice. The Opportunity is huge considering that I wouldn't have top pay a dime for the college and with college cost these days its hard to pass that up.

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Mike

Alaska..........I'm so going to retire here!!!!

Guitars:
Parker Fly, Fender Deluxe American Strat, Taylor 414ce.

Amps: Fender Supersonic 212/head, Fender Champion 600, Powered Mackie floor wedge.

Effects: BOSS GT-10, Line 6 POD Pro XT, Sennheiser Wireless, TS 808 tube screamer, BOSS RC-20XL Looper, SW-95 Cry Baby Slash wah, Weeping Demon Wah, Route 66 overdrive/compression, and many more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 5 2008, 08:50 PM
Instructor
I definetly think you should go for it! It's a GREAT oppertunity.

I dont know anyone thats attended Berklee personally, but judging by the list of people that's been there.. i have no doubt that it's a great great place.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 5 2008, 09:55 PM
Instructor
If you wanna go there and be a musician there go for it! It is one of THE BEST places to become a good musician in the world. SO that should be enough smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 6 2008, 12:29 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If you have the will and resources I would definitly recommend it! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 6 2008, 12:45 AM
Instructor
Is it Bekeley or Berklee,San Francisco or Boston?
Cause Berklee is kind a top ratted music college/institute. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Jun 6 2008, 12:48 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 5 2008, 04:45 PM) *

Just what I was wondering, I'm planning on attending Berklee after high school myself.

It really seems the most interesting of all the music schools I've looked at. And I have to admit, the fact that Vai went there greatly biased my decision. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Jun 6 2008, 12:52 AM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 6 2008, 12:50 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 5 2008, 06:45 PM) *

I think they are talking about the Boston school. I would take the California flagship school, if you could get admitted (very selective). Even if music does not work out, you have a degree from there then, from a school like that, does not matter what your degree is in, you will get the job over the guy from the run of the mill state school. And I am sure all University of California name schools have super music departments.

edit: I remember you saying that you could have gone to California for school, but things could not get worked out for some reason. Visa or something like that. Right, you were a terrorist threat. Might have had explosives in your guitar. Something like that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 6 2008, 01:00 AM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 6 2008, 12:55 AM
Instructor
Ah.. didnt know there were 2 different schools with almost the same names

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 6 2008, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jun 5 2008, 06:55 PM) *
Ah.. didnt know there were 2 different schools with almost the same names

http://berkeley.edu/

That is on of the world's top universities. Let me see where it is ranked....

4th in the world

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm

+Quote Post
Saint_arc
Jun 6 2008, 05:47 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 5 2008, 02:45 PM) *

It is Berkeley Boston

--------------------
Mike

Alaska..........I'm so going to retire here!!!!

Guitars:
Parker Fly, Fender Deluxe American Strat, Taylor 414ce.

Amps: Fender Supersonic 212/head, Fender Champion 600, Powered Mackie floor wedge.

Effects: BOSS GT-10, Line 6 POD Pro XT, Sennheiser Wireless, TS 808 tube screamer, BOSS RC-20XL Looper, SW-95 Cry Baby Slash wah, Weeping Demon Wah, Route 66 overdrive/compression, and many more.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 6 2008, 12:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 6 2008, 01:50 AM) *
edit: I remember you saying that you could have gone to California for school, but things could not get worked out for some reason. Visa or something like that. Right, you were a terrorist threat. Might have had explosives in your guitar. Something like that.

Sort of,yeah laugh.gif

Berklee is in Boston tho if I'm right huh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 6 2008, 12:11 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I also didn't know that there are two schools with almost the same name smile.gif Well, if you have the chance to go there, do it.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 6 2008, 01:43 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Jun 6 2008, 07:11 AM) *
I also didn't know that there are two schools with almost the same name smile.gif Well, if you have the chance to go there, do it.

Same pronunciation. Different spellings. Berklee's in Boston. Berkley's in Berkley, CA.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 6 2008, 02:23 PM
QUOTE (Saint_arc @ Jun 5 2008, 02:57 PM) *
I have been pondering the idea of studying guitar at the Berkeley Institute of Music for sometime now. Has anyone here on GMC studied there? I won't be going for another 4 to 5 years but I am seriously considering this institute? Please feel free to offer up any advice. The Opportunity is huge considering that I wouldn't have top pay a dime for the college and with college cost these days its hard to pass that up.

I'mpretty sure there aren't any Berklee students or grads on GMC for now. A few have talked about working on going but no news on anyone who's actually there now.

It's a heck of an opportunity. Especially with the scholarship. Berklee is one of the top tier schools for modern music. If you're looking for a career in music, it's a fantastic credential to have. It carries a lot of weight and sets a certain level of expectation of someone who has a degree from there. Guitar-wise when you have guys like Petrucci and Vai coming out of there, there's a heck of a tradition there.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 6 2008, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Aaah there are two schools smile.gif

Boston would be a great option too of course!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Jun 6 2008, 02:53 PM
Boston is a really great city. I'm a scientist at Harvard Med School and live here for a couple of years now. I definitely love it. Best place I've ever lived in. Even though the weather is really bad compared to California. It rained when I left the house at 5 am and it still rains. But tomorrow we get 90°F.
I actually talked to some guys that study at the Berklee School of Music (this is the Boston music college). One of them was in the guitar department and really loved it. The other one studied something like music business and singing and she hated the place. It's like every educational institute. You have to work hard to get somewhere. The complaints I heard centered on the point that they don't care a lot about their students. You have to be well organized and get things done by yourself. But the opportunities are great and Boston offers a lot of venues to play at. I go and listen to Berklee student concerts once in a while and saw some stellar guys. The head of the shred department (haha) is Joe Stump the Jazz prof is Larry Baione. He is also the head of the whole guitar department.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 6 2008, 02:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks Muris for clarifying..I didn't know there were two schools wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 6 2008, 02:57 PM
I was taught by the king of rock and roll, Bob Geldof biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Jun 6 2008, 03:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWuzLk-leL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcIZ4xJIVM

Jazz and shred at Berklee

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 6 2008, 03:19 PM
What do you actually do at guitar school? What different courses are available? Do you learn theory I guess also?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:10 PM