24 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Gas. What Next?
Mertay
Jan 9 2016, 07:52 PM
GMC:er
No problem smile.gif we'll check into that anyway when the time is right, since such products always evolve its always better to delay it as much as possible, for example in the 90's todays most basic soundcard would cost 1000s of dolars tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2016, 07:53 PM
Something like this would do ya smile.gif

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8

two mics and direct record would be no prob here. You could however, get the two channel usb version much cheaper, record direct an re-amp. but I've noticed people are very reluctant on that, especially at first. But yeah, that four input would take care of everything smile.gif

Too bad you cant find cheap 11 racks there. I usually record one mic through the xlr and then my 11 rack tone and dry tone all at once over usb.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 9 2016, 01:29 PM) *
Sorry, what I meant was you don't HAVE to use FireWire but it is compatible with FireWire but you can use usb. BUT I've since found out there is no USB only FireWire and ADAT so that unit is not for me anyway rolleyes.gif

That's the kind of thing I will have eventually and another mic.

Sorry for the confusion mate wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 9 2016, 08:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Mertay and Todd.

Actually Todd, THIS has just appeared. It's almost worth buying now and putting to one side until I've got the Peavey and the current mic sorted. But we know that would never happen, a new piece of gear sitting in its box??? No no no no laugh.gif

Can you record two mics and direct with the Elevenrack, I'm liking the idea of doing that eventually.

Cheers

UPDATE:
Eeeeek, scrub that Elevenrack, £90 shipping so must be coming from the States. sad.gif

OK, another test, bridge pickup on PRS Ace, clean channel on Blackstar with gain on full, first time ISF control all left, 2nd centre, 3rd all right. See if you can hear anything different other than the ISF, all other recordings have been done with ISF central.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/blackstar-full-gain-clean

Some pics to see the difference to the Blackstar and a couple of none comparison pics wink.gif

Thank you gentlemen smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 9 2016, 09:01 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 10 2016, 05:15 AM
The 11 Rack has only 1 XLR input/mic preamp on board. So not meant for multiple mic recording. For that your looking at a dedicated multichannel audio interface smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 9 2016, 02:16 PM) *
Thanks Mertay and Todd.

Actually Todd, THIS has just appeared. It's almost worth buying now and putting to one side until I've got the Peavey and the current mic sorted. But we know that would never happen, a new piece of gear sitting in its box??? No no no no laugh.gif

Can you record two mics and direct with the Elevenrack, I'm liking the idea of doing that eventually.

Cheers

UPDATE:
Eeeeek, scrub that Elevenrack, £90 shipping so must be coming from the States. sad.gif

OK, another test, bridge pickup on PRS Ace, clean channel on Blackstar with gain on full, first time ISF control all left, 2nd centre, 3rd all right. See if you can hear anything different other than the ISF, all other recordings have been done with ISF central.

Some pics to see the difference to the Blackstar and a couple of none comparison pics wink.gif

Thank you gentlemen smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 10 2016, 02:04 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 9 2016, 07:16 PM) *
See if you can hear anything different other than the ISF, all other recordings have been done with ISF central.

The hint of reverb?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 10 2016, 03:05 PM
The reverb is set the same as the others but I angled the mic about thirty degrees point to the other cab and had the other cab running too. My ears aren't tuned in enough to know if you could hear the other cab at all.

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 10 2016, 06:28 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 10 2016, 02:05 PM) *
The reverb is set the same as the others but I angled the mic about thirty degrees point to the other cab and had the other cab running too. My ears aren't tuned in enough to know if you could hear the other cab at all.

Cheers smile.gif

Probably thats why I suspected the reverb as it got more obvious specially with the british side of isf. It very normal not to notice cause the 2 different characters combine when 2 cab.s are at use at the same time.

The studio approach is recording 2 cab.s but later using the levels of channels blend them, so say one cab. is fatter sounding to the other and when only listening the other the sound felt harsh. We slowly decrease the harsh ones level and increase the other till we get a sweetspot.

Yeah both at the same level can be used but usually its a compination of choice. 1 mic. for 2 cab.s is a nice experiment though smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2016, 02:00 PM
Peavey has arrived. I'll mic it up when I get home wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 11 2016, 03:09 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 11 2016, 01:00 PM) *
Peavey has arrived. I'll mic it up when I get home wink.gif

Awesome! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2016, 10:19 PM
Ok, so far I think the cab sounds better than the direct XLR. Also, it doesn't seem to make much difference going from 1watt to 20 watts using the direct XLR.
I used my Mexican HSH Strat so I could use single coil on the clean tones (bridge and neck).
I do think there is a lot of potential here wink.gif

Ok, here's some recordings with direct XLR: Clean Vol 5, bass, midd, treb all at 5, reverb at 3, Vari-class full a/b, master volume 8.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/clean-xlr

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/gain-5-xlr

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/gain-10-xlr

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/gain-10-with-boost-xlr

And here are some with the mic. Clean vol 3 master volume 2.5. On the gain channel I could only run master vol at 1.8. All done in 5watt mode. Eq and Vari-class as above.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/clean

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/lead-gain-5

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/lead-gain-10

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 11 2016, 10:30 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 11 2016, 10:43 PM
I loved it!!!

Damn I wrote some stuff but somehow browser had a problem and lost what I wrote sad.gif

Both sounds great!! the subtle noise from the xlr is caused by sitting position, just give the guitar some angle from the computer and it will go away.

The mic.ed felt more like home to me but the xlr replicates a giant cab. sort of thing pretty good. Amazing how good it sounds on eq's flat positions! feel free to experiment but I guess the knobs won't be too far from the middle when you find your defoult setting.

Gain with the xlr felt a bit more crushed at 10 (felt better mic.ed at that level), I guess no need to pass around 8 specially as you have a pedal to boost anyway. Which cab. was that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2016, 11:10 PM
Thanks Mertay,

The cab was the Harley Benton. I used my Mexican HSH Strat so I could coil tap for the cleans.

Apparently the direct xlr emulates a mic 8" away from cone.

I haven't messed with the Vari-Class but I found it interesting that when using class A the power output can be reduced by up to 60%

Thanks Mertay, I'm pleased with it and the new cab. I'm wondering if I should get rid of the other Blackstar cab. I can only go down to 8ohms with this head and in need 4ohms if I run two 8ohm cabs at once.

When using the xlr direct I can't have the speaker on because the output is low so the volume knob has to be up on 8. Would the PreSonus work in between amp and interface so I can hear the cab?

Is there anything you'd like me to try for you to hear?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 11 2016, 11:18 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 12 2016, 12:05 AM
The blackstar cab. is up to you, you still have the other heads...my suggestion would be giving it some time. On the long run if you're not using a unit thats the best indication if you can sell it or not.

When using the xlr direct I can't have the speaker on because the output is low so the volume knob has to be up on 8. Would the PreSonus work in between amp and interface so I can hear the cab?

Could you open this a little? so the xlr and cab. can both work at the same time?

As for the sounds from the amp, I'll leave it for you to try smile.gif just experiment sounds you personally like and feel you could use for recording, if you get lost while dialing settings just remember the all eq's in the middle sounds perfect and if you turn some knobs to extremes and not feeling sure share sound examples again so we can comment ton them.

Best for now is getting to know the unit by experimenting (fun!! smile.gif ) but also try finding a default setting so you won't have to reach the knobs more often than needed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 12 2016, 08:38 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 11 2016, 11:05 PM) *

Could you open this a little? so the xlr and cab. can both work at the same time?

Thanks Mertay,

Yes you can output to the cab AND the xlr, there is a speaker defeat button on the back. You can also use headphones with the speaker on or off and the usb out with speaker on or off. I think you can actually use the xlr out, the usb out AND headphones all at the same time with the speaker on or off.

I'll experiment but I won't let it have too much impact on my practice wink.gif My problem is, I like so many different guitar tones I struggle to settle on one for myself and it changes with my daily mood biggrin.gif

Cheers

Phil

Update:

I've just remembered, when I got the PreSonus mic preamp, I turned down the mic preamp in the GT-001. I'll check that out as soon as I get chance wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 12 2016, 08:59 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 12 2016, 10:58 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I have GAS for a purplish flamed maple top ibanez, with matching headstock, if such thing even exists smile.gif

Edit: Also a Marshall full stack with my own concert room to crank it up tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Jan 12 2016, 10:59 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 12 2016, 11:52 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Jan 12 2016, 09:58 AM) *
I have GAS for a purplish flamed maple top ibanez, with matching headstock, if such thing even exists smile.gif

I'm sure Rob Balducci has one of those that he used for his Violet Horizon album. I'll try to find a pic wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 12 2016, 12:04 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 12 2016, 11:56 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 12 2016, 07:38 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,

Yes you can output to the cab AND the xlr, there is a speaker defeat button on the back. You can also use headphones with the speaker on or off and the usb out with speaker on or off. I think you can actually use the xlr out, the usb out AND headphones all at the same time with the speaker on or off.

I'll experiment but I won't let it have too much impact on my practice wink.gif My problem is, I like so many different guitar tones I struggle to settle on one for myself and it changes with my daily mood biggrin.gif

Cheers

Phil

Update:

I've just remembered, when I got the PreSonus mic preamp, I turned down the mic preamp in the GT-001. I'll check that out as soon as I get chance wink.gif

Cool! since you cab. and xlr out sound different its like you have an extra cab. for recording smile.gif

Now from what I understand you need to seriously increase the amps volume for the xlr to have a decent output but then the cab. is too loud correct?

That may be a problem cause either one of the signals much be weak for the other to be proper, which means one of them will have added noise. My guess would be the xlr might be a bit less noisey, you can increase its gain digitally from DAW but yeah check the presonus too when you have the time. We'll have to experiment on that matter.

As for tones now is the time to go crazy smile.gif its a versatile amp with many sounds in it but in time I'm sure you'll start noticing using certain adjustments, thats when defoults settings will start to appear so no rush with using the pedal for now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 12 2016, 12:08 PM
That's not exactly what you want Fran, but it is sweet. Mr Balducci's Violet Horizon RG wink.gif

Thanks Mertay,

Don't forget I need to check the mic preamp gain in the GT-001 too wink.gif

Cheers

Update:

I had got the preamp for the mic input set very low in the GT-001 because I had been using it with the PreSonus. This is direct xlr again. Seems better to me. When you get five minutes please have a listen. Thank again for your time and patience. I'm going to experiment a little now so you will have some peace for a few days wink.gif

1 watt mode.
Clean vol 5, master vol 3:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/clean-xlr-gt001-preamp-adjusted

Gain 5, Master vol 2.8
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/crunch-xlr-gt001-preamp-adjusted

Gain 10, Master vol 2
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/drive-xlr-gt001-preamp-adjusted-2

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 13 2016, 08:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 13 2016, 10:33 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 12 2016, 11:08 AM) *

The noise is all gone and sounds cleaner/more upfront, technically this is the ideal thing but musically it might make you prefer the mic.ed sound more depending on tonal expectation.

What I'll suggest to try is again including the presonus but now the gain rather low on it (no changes on the gt001) and test the drive knob. I wonder if that can make it a little more organic sounding, make sure to check the noise level too as you see mixing preamps is tricky smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks Mertay
The gain in the GT 001 was on full and I still wasn't hitting 0db on the clean setting.
I'll have a go in a day or two.
Cheers buddy.

Update.

If you want to hear it with a backing look HERE It's not superb playing at all, it's a theory workshop but it's in a mix, it has some added chorus from the GT-001 too.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 13 2016, 10:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:55 PM