7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Not Guitar Related: No Petrol Cars Uk 2030?
Todd Simpson
May 24 2021, 04:53 AM
GMC:er
I just found out that as of 2030, in the UNITED KINGDOM, cars running on GAS/petrol, will no longer be available as new vehicles. Yup. You can buy a used car that runs on gas, but as of 2030, you can't buy a new car that runs on gas in the UK. Wow. I had no idea we were that close to banning new gas cars in any country, much less that is was less than a decade away. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a positive step. Still, it won't make "petrol heads" very happy I don't think. This means that sports cars using gas, like your average Porsche, Mustang, etc. are going away in terms of new models being sold.

The value of performance cars running gas is about to spike up IMHO in the UK. The used market is about to get very competitive. Have any of you in the UK heard about this?
\

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 24 2021, 05:53 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
And then there's this as well.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/uk-...sic-car-buyers/

I also recently read about a new tax or fee for older cars that are driven x amount of hours per week or something to that effect somewhere in Europe.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: May 24 2021, 05:57 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 24 2021, 07:24 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yes, we know about it, personally I can't see them getting the infrastructure in place by then, the transition period will be a long one. Are the moment most car parks only have a couple of E charging points.

Ford have an electric Mustang out that is nothing like the "real" one https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/mustang-mach-e

Porsche have one out that by all accounts is brilliant https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/ta...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Jaguar have the iPace https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/i-pac...lsrc=aw.ds&

All the above are fully electric, there are others, particularly in the smaller hatchback sector.

I'm gonna miss the induction and exhaust music of performance cars sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 24 2021, 11:56 AM
Learning Roadie
I'll miss not hearing a car coming up behind me when I cycling. Got quite a shock when a BMW i8 overtook me silently the other day

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 24 2021, 12:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 24 2021, 12:56 PM) *
I'll miss not hearing a car coming up behind me when I cycling. Got quite a shock when a BMW i8 overtook me silently the other day

That's a good point. While I do check by sight as well if there are any cars, I do use my ears too a lot, and cyclists can be easily startled if a car is noiseless. smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2021, 04:54 AM
I was flat out shocked to be honest. I know there are a LOT of "Petrol heads" in the UK, after all TOP GEAR is a BBC production. That show is gonna be a different thing after 2030. I doubt the UK will be the only country to make this drastic change.

The good news is, older cars are "grandfathered" in. So you will still be able to buy a Porsche or what not. it's just that there won't be ANY new gas powered cars coming in after 2030 which is hard to get one's head around. sure, I new it was going this way, but not quite this quickly. It's a HUGE change and will require a MASSIVE amount of infrastructure to make this work and not a lot of time to make it happen.

The changes to the entire culture are going to be enormous and I don't think that has been accounted for to be honest. It's not just changing one thing, it's changing everything relating to vehicle ownership and maintenance. The knock on effects are wide reaching. I applaud them for leading the way. It will serve as a template for the rest of the world as we all make this change. However, I can't see it happening that quickly over here. Folks love their FULL SIZE TRUCKS and SPORTS CARS. We will make the change, but it won't be quick or quiet.

NOT TO MENTION: Phill your company is based on performance parts for petrol cars right?

Will this kill off gasoline based racing? Is that to be banned as well? is it all going to be electric car racing? F1 to be battery powered? It's just hard to see.

TAXES FOR OLD CARS:

I saw that link about a 30 PERCENT TAX FOR OLD GAS BURNING CARS. Ouch!!! So basically, only well off folks will be members of various car clubs which are popular in the UK? so the MG owners club, along with all the others is about to see some big changes. Getting involved now has a much greater barrier to entry and eventually even getting gasoline will be expensive and difficult as gas stations switch to electric.

Here is a video talking about some of the upcoming issues. not least of which is that the UK POWER GRID is not even close to being able to handling a nation of electric cars, not near enough chargers, etc. A huge amount of change is coming. The way the UK navigates it will be a lesson for the world.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 25 2021, 08:14 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 25 2021, 08:23 AM
To me it seemed like they see the obvious trend of the future and to have a role in this industry (worldwide), forcing their way in staring by changing their own rules.

Considering England was once big in the car industry this is a huge chance for them to re-live those glory days. If they manage to get the infrastructure ready in such a short time, private firms will invest big time in England giving them a chance to compete with EU.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 25 2021, 08:26 AM
The knock on effect will be HUGE eventually. Think of all the little independent garages that service cars, petrol stations will decline, the engine supply chain will be gone, hundreds of thousands of jobs, they can't all be replaced with battery making jobs.

I haven't heard about racing bans yet, the majority of our business is based on engines being rebuilt for performance, fast road, track days, racing etc, we're not involved in F1 any more. We had a big drop in work when the BTCC went from unlimited engines per year down to three. We supplied three teams, we used to make 120 parts three or four times a year for each team, now that's down to 12 components at the beginning of the year for each team. That had a hit on turnover so imagine the big supply companies, the raw material industries, oem component manufacturers etc.

I seriously can't see the infrastructure being sorted. Even things like holiday home parks will need charging points for every home, they also need to address range and charging time, people don't want to be stopping for three hours on their journey to top up the battery.

Lots to think about and I don't think the government have thought about it enough.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 25 2021, 08:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
I think it's the right step to take, but whether it can be done by 2030 I'm less sure of. But I do like to see things like this being planned out, so we can care more about the planet. In my opinion we have nothing to lose as humans by caring more about the planet, instead of exploiting it. I think we need to be even better about that - from forest burnings to fossil fuel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
May 25 2021, 11:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
Take the train to France or fly to Ireland.
Buy a new petrol car.
Drive it to the UK.

Nevertheless, going green is the future. In October there will be a car show on EVs from almost every car manufacturer.

Electric is the future/trend now.

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 25 2021, 12:03 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 25 2021, 08:38 AM) *
I think it's the right step to take, but whether it can be done by 2030 I'm less sure of. But I do like to see things like this being planned out, so we can care more about the planet. In my opinion we have nothing to lose as humans by caring more about the planet, instead of exploiting it. I think we need to be even better about that - from forest burnings to fossil fuel.

I agree 100% with looking after the planet more but the lithium industry isn't all that good for the environment https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/...op%20irrigation.

There is a fuel that is very green, and when burnt the only emission is water, it's called hydrogen. There are problems with storage as it is highly flammable https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/hydrogen-fuel-basics I saw a program recently and a scientist has developed a hydrogen paste cartridge that is safe and you could exchange at a garage (service station) as easily as putting petrol in. I can't remember the whole concept though, or production costs but that would be a great way to go.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 25 2021, 03:29 PM
It's obviously the way of the future and we've known that for at least the last 40 years.
Out here in Cali we've been talking about 'green' energy since I was in elementary school.
When they get the battery distance to 400 miles (644 km) or some seriously fast charging, I'm in. *I need to be able to make it to San Francisco (from L.A.) in 6 to 8 hours.
Two years ago I bought what I'm assuming will be my last completely gas powered vehicle.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 25 2021, 05:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 25 2021, 04:29 PM) *
It's obviously the way of the future and we've known that for at least the last 40 years.
Out here in Cali we've been talking about 'green' energy since I was in elementary school.
When they get the battery distance to 400 miles (644 km) or some seriously fast charging, I'm in. *I need to be able to make it to San Francisco (from L.A.) in 6 to 8 hours.
Two years ago I bought what I'm assuming will be my last completely gas powered vehicle.

Yup! I agree that there are still a lot of work to be done for it to be a viable option, which it isn't yet. But hopefully we can slowly move towards a better future for the planet before it's too late smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2021, 07:31 PM
Being an Englishman, and being a member of the industry yourself, that is based on petrol, you are uniquely placed imho to weigh in on this discussion so I"m glad that you are.

It seems you are spot on in every way imho. The knock on effects seem to be being underestimated if the timeline of 2030 is to be believed. As you mention, the roll out of charging stations, nation wide, to every single corner of the country would need to have been started a bit back if this deadline is going to work.

secondly, the elimination of an entire industry of jobs is going to be a huge shock to the economy imho. Certainly new jobs will be created, this too is a huge challenge in that the change will be happening as new schools/training centers are being built to train the people needed to work on new types of vehicles etc.

The entire UK economy is on the brink of a massive shift due to this change. I dare say the entire culture is about to undergo a huge change. The good news is, if it's done well, it will me cleaner air and potentially a leading position for the UK on the world stage. The UK could be a world leader in making the transition away from petrol and the entire planet could come to England for consulting on how to do this. Experts from the uk will be in demand all over the globe. So it could be the start of English dominance of an entire sector of the world economy that we haven't seen since the days when the sun never set on England as the Empire was just that huge.

However, if they drop the ball on this, it will cripple the country's economy and it may never recover. This is a huge gamble it seems. If they pull it off, the future is bright indeed.

As a member of the industry that will be directly impacted, I wanted to ask if you are going to start making changes to your business???

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 25 2021, 03:26 AM) *
The knock on effect will be HUGE eventually. Think of all the little independent garages that service cars, petrol stations will decline, the engine supply chain will be gone, hundreds of thousands of jobs, they can't all be replaced with battery making jobs.

I haven't heard about racing bans yet, the majority of our business is based on engines being rebuilt for performance, fast road, track days, racing etc, we're not involved in F1 any more. We had a big drop in work when the BTCC went from unlimited engines per year down to three. We supplied three teams, we used to make 120 parts three or four times a year for each team, now that's down to 12 components at the beginning of the year for each team. That had a hit on turnover so imagine the big supply companies, the raw material industries, oem component manufacturers etc.

I seriously can't see the infrastructure being sorted. Even things like holiday home parks will need charging points for every home, they also need to address range and charging time, people don't want to be stopping for three hours on their journey to top up the battery.

Lots to think about and I don't think the government have thought about it enough.

Pay 30 percent in tax when you go to register the car to get a plate.

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ May 25 2021, 06:28 AM) *
Take the train to France or fly to Ireland.
Buy a new petrol car.
Drive it to the UK.

Nevertheless, going green is the future. In October there will be a car show on EVs from almost every car manufacturer.

Electric is the future/trend now.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 25 2021, 08:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 25 2021, 08:31 PM) *
Pay 30 percent in tax when you go to register the car to get a plate.

You probably won't believe this but the registration tax for a purchase of a new vehicle (car) here in Denmark is 150%, only recently lowered from 180%. At least for cars over €26000 or so.

"The registration tax applied to new cars in Denmark is value-based and amounts to 85% of the car's taxable value up to DKK 197,700 (€26,500), and 150% for the value above, according to the ACEA 2020 Tax Guide. The parties have agreed that an extra tier will be introduced, whereby a lower 25% tax rate will be applied to the car’s value up to DKK 65,000 in 2021. The 85% tax rate will then be applied up to the slightly higher value of DKK 202,200 in 2021, with the 150% rate above that level."

https://www.thelocal.dk/20151120/whats-the-...gistration-tax/

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 25 2021, 08:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 25 2021, 08:04 PM
I really don't think there will be an industry for small manufacturers of batteries, they will be mass-produced oem supplied and replaced. There wouldn't be any way that we could be world leaders as we are now known, the processes will be the same for all batteries.

I'm hoping that there will be classic motorsport based on the internal combustion engine for many years to come. The impact on the environment will be negligible once all of the petrol/diesel cars are off the road.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/weekend-...l-cars/3221786/

I can only think that we would have to go into general sub contract engineering but that would be a huge financial investment and a lot of wasted machinery like our in-house designed 600 ton forging press, all of our bespoke fixtures, jigs etc with many machines being modified by the manufacturer to hold the fixtures before being delivered to us. We can always revert them but as said, ££££££££

I'm pretty sure internal combustion engines will be providing us with an income for a long time yet.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 25 2021, 07:31 PM) *
As a member of the industry that will be directly impacted, I wanted to ask if you are going to start making changes to your business???

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 26 2021, 04:25 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that 2030 deadline pushed out as far as 2050. And in this country, it ain't happening in a long long time. Heck, we are in a new muscle car era at the moment and have been for a while. They are very popular. I've never even seen a car that is fully electric.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 26 2021, 03:54 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 25 2021, 08:25 PM) *
I've never even seen a car that is fully electric.

Come to my neck of the woods wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 26 2021, 03:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 26 2021, 04:54 PM) *
Come to my neck of the woods wink.gif

I'm pretty sure we have a lot here too, and especially nurses or similar who drive around to people's homes all day seem to use these (although they're paid for by the job/state/municipality or whatever of course). I'm not totally knowledgable on cars though. Never had a big interest or even have a license.

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
May 26 2021, 06:51 PM
Completely agree with Phil.

I can never see the UK going all electric by 2030. Infrastructure cannot be put in place for this. I love engines and the thought of going away from that saddens me.

Also how much greener is it mass producing big batteries and disposing of them.

With the euro regulations manufacturers have to comply with and are regularly updating engines to meet the standards meaning cleaner for the environment. Am fine with this but getting rid of fuelled engines is not the right thing to do.

For the greener thing to work it would need the full world involved. Again dont think that would be possible. The UK is a very small footprint compared to the rest of the world.

I could definitely see alot more accidents happening with going all electric. Pedestrians crossing the road because they dont hear anything coming. Also with electric motorbikes filtering through traffic and some one pulling out on them because they dont hear them. Seen it already in big cities like London.

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: May 26 2021, 06:51 PM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:26 AM