2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Turning Off The Posting Counter In The Introduction Forum
Skalde
Jul 7 2009, 06:34 PM
Learning Roadie
The "Fast Reply" button was disabled to prevent short postings from users who have hardly read the whole introduction post. A more effeicent mesaure would be to turn of the posting counter for this particular board. Maybe it would encourage the users to take more time for the introduction post.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 7 2009, 06:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Skalde @ Jul 7 2009, 11:34 AM) *
turn of the posting counter for this particular board.

I would hide it from regular users (members group) for the entire site, personally. Not that it's my place to say, but since we're talking about it: there's some examples of folks that seem interested merely in upping their own post count without actually including real content.

I didn't think it was a big deal either way.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 7 2009, 07:06 PM
Learning Roadie
You def. got a point there.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 7 2009, 10:41 PM
Instructor
Interesting point, but I would like to hear another way perhaps.. Turning off sounds a bit repressive to me, could mean that there would be less welcomes, and I really enjoyed when lots of people welcomed me on the site. But this is a good observation, sometimes I get the feel people are not reading 100% although I cannot actually say it cause it can be untrue, I cannot be 100% sure.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 7 2009, 10:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jul 7 2009, 01:43 PM) *
I would hide it from regular users (members group) for the entire site, personally. Not that it's my place to say, but since we're talking about it: there's some examples of folks that seem interested merely in upping their own post count without actually including real content.

I didn't think it was a big deal either way.

I agree, I don't think its too big of an issue personally (it's not like having a giant post count is going to hurt anyone tongue.gif) but there IS a lot of "spam" to sift through here. It's only the by product of a great community though.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 7 2009, 11:00 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 7 2009, 11:41 PM) *
Interesting point, but I would like to hear another way perhaps.. Turning off sounds a bit repressive to me, could mean that there would be less welcomes, and I really enjoyed when lots of people welcomed me on the site. But this is a good observation, sometimes I get the feel people are not reading 100% although I cannot actually say it cause it can be untrue, I cannot be 100% sure.

just look at the board. On the right side under "last action", sometimes you see that only one user has made a post in all the topics on the site(30!) in one minute(copy and paste "welcome to GMC"). looks pretty obvious to me.

+Quote Post
berko
Jul 7 2009, 11:56 PM
I understand what you're saying but IMHO the dozens of repetitive "welcome to gmc"s aren't produced by people that want to increase their amount of post. Yes I'm pretty sure some of the folks just paste their greetings without reading the intro but on a level even that is enough. If you're interested in the new member because he/she might provide a good story about his/her guitar career or life then you click there and read the intro. If you're just greeting 5 new members one after the other in only 40 seconds, then it's obvious you hadn't read the intro but at least the new members feel more welcome (if they ever check their thread again).

This post has been edited by berko: Jul 7 2009, 11:57 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 8 2009, 12:18 AM
GMC Founder
Interesting opinions here! I would love to hear what everyone thinks about the introductions forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 8 2009, 12:21 AM
Instructor
I don't see a problem with the copy/paste in the introduction thread. I personaly try to read intro post most of the time but sometimes I don't. Does that mean that I am not allowed to say "welcome to GMC"? I feel the same warm welcome to any new member whether I read his post or not. It is just my way of welcoming a new member by saying that. I don't need to write a novel just to prove that I have read his/her post. Someone might dissagree but I really see no point here and to me this doesn't look like spam as all "welcome to gmc" comes from a different member.

And also, I never copy/paste. I always type "welcome to GMC" in full smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 8 2009, 12:21 AM
QUOTE (berko @ Jul 7 2009, 04:56 PM) *
I understand what you're saying but IMHO the dozens of repetitive "welcome to gmc"s aren't produced by people that want to increase their amount of post. Yes I'm pretty sure some of the folks just paste their greetings without reading the intro but on a level even that is enough. If you're interested in the new member because he/she might provide a good story about his/her guitar career or life then you click there and read the intro. If you're just greeting 5 new members one after the other in only 40 seconds, then it's obvious you hadn't read the intro but at least the new members feel more welcome (if they ever check their thread again).

Well, I agree with this right up until someone posts greetings on month-old intro threads, month-old comics, and anything else (still month-old) that they haven't already replied to. That is count-seeking at its most clear and obvious, if you ask me.

I do still agree that even a pasted "welcome to gmc!" is still a greeting and contributes to the warm welcomes that new users receive here. There is at least that value in it.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 8 2009, 12:49 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes

Sad panda that I am I try and read all the forum posts, including the Introductions and Welcomes and so I think I have a reasonable overview of the forum.

My personal opinion here...

- I agree with Berko. If someone wants to add a welcome, belated or otherwise, then I don't see any real harm in it.

To me generally however quality is more interesting than quantity. The posts that tend to catch my attention tend to be ones that contribute something meaningful. If they don't then they tend to wash over me (apart from any that need me to put my moderator's hat on wink.gif ). Similarly I tend nowadays to try to contribute where I think I can add something or answer a specific question. So I don't usually add a welcome unless I'm answering a new member's question (or maybe I'm just an anti-social hermit ohmy.gif ). Nonetheless I don't see an issue with people saying 'hi'.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
kahall
Jul 8 2009, 03:36 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 7 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Interesting opinions here! I would love to hear what everyone thinks about the introductions forum.

Ok, it's a non-issue. I typed that.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 8 2009, 04:33 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
It's sort of a solution to a problem that nobody is asking, in my opinion. Every forum I've ever participated in has the copy and pastes post count welcomes. So what? And I mean no offence, intended nor implied...so what? If there was some sort of money that we received for the highest post count, then by all means, the post count police should be informed. However, as the forums is an entirely free portion of this site, welcome to subscribing members and guests alike, I think that big welcome threads help promote the camaraderie that is apparent on this site and attracts newcomers. Just my opinion, but I've ran website forums over the years...the hearty few that welcome everyone with a jolly good cut and paste are everywhere. They are usually really decent people, and are contributing in other areas of the site as well. If they are just post count whoring? I just don't see what the point is? Mind you, I'm old and I get confused. What time is it?

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 8 2009, 09:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jul 8 2009, 01:21 AM) *
Someone might dissagree but I really see no point here and to me this doesn't look like spam as all "welcome to gmc" comes from a different member.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 8 2009, 01:49 AM) *
Nonetheless I don't see an issue with people saying 'hi'.

Maybe you've got me wrong in this point, I have no problem with this too, In fact I do it myself from time to time. Welcoming the new member with "welcome to GMC" is fine, but I always read the intropost. Where is the sense in welcoming someone you do not know? You might say he feels welcomed in the community even if the members had not read their introductionpost. Well, the newcomers would feel the same way, if the postcounter is off, wouldn't they?
`

This post has been edited by Skalde: Jul 8 2009, 09:43 AM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 8 2009, 10:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skalde @ Jul 8 2009, 09:41 AM) *
You might say he feels welcomed in the community even if the members had not read their introductionpost. Well, the newcomers would feel the same way, if the postcounter is off, wouldn't they?

I think that we should welcome every new member whether we know him/her or not. How can someone know if we read the intro post or not just by seeing "welcome to GMC". I can read 10.000 of intro words and still write 3 words as a welcoming post. What's the point of turning the counter off? Will the new member feel more welcome that way and does he care about the counter? There are about 7000 members here, we can't possibly know everybody. Many of them are not active on the forum anyway. When someone ask a question or need help on the forum that's something different. We either help or not post anything if we don't know the solution. But the introduction post is not a question. The only thing we can say is "welcome to GMC" and maybe say 2-3 more words about where to start and "feel free to ask any question". I am still trying to figure out the point of this and thinking I might be missunderstanding this thread a bit smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Skalde
Jul 8 2009, 11:11 AM
Learning Roadie
emir, we are missing each others point

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 8 2009, 11:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skalde @ Jul 8 2009, 11:11 AM) *
emir, we are missing each others point

That's what I am thinking as well but still trying to understand smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 8 2009, 12:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have nothing against writing for every "Hello, I'm new" topic the same words "Welcome to GMC!". A good solution for the mentioned problem would be to activate the "timer between posts" function. Let's say 30 seconds between every posts. That would turn down the massive introducion replies.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 8 2009, 01:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I always read all the introduction threads throughout and reply with a welcome or answer a question if I can.Its a very good part of forum, those "how I began playing guitar" and all the personal info stories are very interesting read to me.You really get to know a new member that way.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 8 2009, 02:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm missing the point. The introduction forum works, people get and feel welcomed.

As the concern was in the original post that members don't take time to read the full introduction, that must be his or her personal business. Short replies on this board is unevitable, there's only so many ways to say "hi". On the other boards we encourage members to post a little more than just "+1" type of posts.
If someone copy and paste a reply twenty times or type them in twenty times five minutes apart makes no difference to me. It's still twenty posts.

I don't begrudge anyone their postcount but since it was mentioned in a couple replies, is the are post count competition ongoing?

So what is the point really?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:47 PM