Kai Hansen's Best Songs
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 8 2013, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, as you can see at the front page, there is a new Power Metal Solo lesson based on the style of the amazing musician called "Kai Hansen". I decided to share with you some extra info and also some songs from his different projects.

Attached Image

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Power-Metal-Soloing-Kai-Hansen/

Wiki says: "He is regarded as "the godfather of power metal", having founded three seminal bands in the genre."

He has been the singer in Helloween's first album, and the guitarist in the first 3 albums as well as the main composer. Most of the riffs, solos, melodies has been created by him. So here you can listen to some of his best moments at Helloween:

This is my favourite song from their first album with Kai on vocals:

Then he left Helloween and formed the band Gamma Ray and they already recorded 10 albums. Here you can check a video that recommends 10 of their best songs:

This is one of my favourite songs:

He also has some other projects and many guest appearances. One of his most known paralell projects is "Iron Saviour", a band that he formed with Piet Sielck, a very important multi-instrumentalist and producer/engineer from Germany.

Related topic HERE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 8 2013, 06:50 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 9 2013, 09:50 AM
GMC:er
Yeah, Kai's true King of Metal, i've remmeber reading Thread about Helloween in some scientic magazine for kids when i was around 7 years old. That was in 1990 biggrin.gif

Don't you forget that Kai sung on few Blind Guardian songs as well, the one of them is my favorite

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 9 2013, 06:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Oct 9 2013, 05:50 AM) *
Yeah, Kai's true King of Metal, i've remmeber reading Thread about Helloween in some scientic magazine for kids when i was around 7 years old. That was in 1990 biggrin.gif

Don't you forget that Kai sung on few Blind Guardian songs as well, the one of them is my favorite

yeah, I used to listen a lot to this album!

Check here all his guest appearances:

With Rampage:
Love Lights Up The Night – vocals on "Life"

With Blind Guardian:
Follow the Blind – vocals on "Valhalla", and guitar solo on "Hall Of The King"
Tales from the Twilight World – vocals on "Lost in the Twilight Hall," guitar solo on "The Last Candle"
Somewhere Far Beyond – lead guitar on "The Quest for Tanelorn"

With Angra:
Angels Cry – guitar solo on "Never Understand"
Temple of Shadows – vocals on "The Temple of Hate"

With Michael Kiske:
Instant Clarity – guitars on "Be True To Yourself", "The Calling", "New Horizons", "Thanx A Lot"

With Primal Fear:
Primal Fear – guitar solo on "Formula One", "Dollars", "Speedking"

With HammerFall:
I Want Out EP - vocals on "I Want Out" and backing vocals on "Man on the Silver Mountain"

With Tobias Sammet's Avantasia:
The Metal Opera – as "Regrin the Dwarf" he has vocal parts in "Inside" and "Sign Of The Cross"
The Metal Opera Part II – he reprises his role and has vocal parts in "The Seven Angels" and "Chalice Of Agony"
The Scarecrow - lead guitar on "Shelter from the Rain"
The Flying Opera (live album) - vocals on "The Toy Master"

With Heavenly:
Coming from the Sky – vocals on "Time machine"

With Stormwarrior:
Stormwarrior - vocals & guitar on "Chains Of Slavery" and "Heavy Metal is the Law" and narration on "Iron Prayers"
Northern Rage - additional vocals on "Heroic Deathe" and guitar solo on "Welcome Thy Rite"

With Headhunter:
Parody Of Life - guest appearance on "Cursed"

With Heavenwood:
Swallow - vocals & guitar on "Luna", and vocal on "Downcast"

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 10 2013, 10:20 AM
To me Kai is one of the best metal guitarists, and best metal musician in general.
If there wasnt him, there wouldn't be power metal at all, or it wouldn't came out so early.
He created most memorable melodies and riffs in metal, which vasts of previous and future generations will follow and try to incorporate in their style ! Pick some heavy band from germany formed in last 20 years - every single one of them has some "Helloween" sound in themselves.
What he said in interview , he was more a thrash/speed guy in Helloween, his riffs and solos were more aggresive and raw, while the other guy was a "melodic" type of player - what awesome combination lead us to forming power metal .

He's also the truest and most honest metal guy there, never sold out, and by the fans suggestion he again took over vocal duties in Gamma Ray.

LONG LIVE GODFATHER KAI!!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Oct 10 2013, 10:24 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 10 2013, 10:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
I used to bring Helloween cd's to school and force the other students to listen to them. laugh.gif I just remembered that. Me and one of my friends had occupied the cd player we had in the class room and played all sorts of metal and grunge.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Oct 10 2013, 10:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
I don't know exactly which Helloween songs he wrote but I know that one of my absolute favorite by them is one if his songs:

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 10 2013, 10:43 AM
It seems that Hansen Wrote better songs on that album

Track listing[edit]

No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Invitation" Weikath 1:06
2. "Eagle Fly Free" Weikath 5:08
3. "You Always Walk Alone" Kiske 5:08
4. "Rise and Fall" Weikath 4:22
5. "Dr. Stein" Weikath 5:03
6. "We Got the Right" Kiske 5:07
7. "March of Time" Hansen 5:13
8. "I Want Out" Hansen 4:39
9. "Keeper of the Seven Keys" Weikath 13:38
10. "Save Us" Hansen 5

But i don't like that 2nd part much , First part is a lot more "alive" in my opinion ,and Hansen wrote 6 of 8 songs on it , every single one of them is excellent

Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I

1. "Initiation" Hansen 1:21
2. "I'm Alive" Hansen 3:23
3. "A Little Time" Kiske 3:59
4. "Twilight of the Gods" Hansen 4:29
5. "A Tale That Wasn't Right" Weikath 4:42
6. "Future World" Hansen 4:02
7. "Halloween" Hansen 13:18
8. "Follow the Sign" Hansen/Weikath 1:46

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 10 2013, 10:50 AM
Learning Rock Star

It's not their best song, but I find the delay on the video vs the song on the chorus funny. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 12 2013, 05:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Oct 10 2013, 06:20 AM) *
To me Kai is one of the best metal guitarists, and best metal musician in general.
If there wasnt him, there wouldn't be power metal at all, or it wouldn't came out so early.
He created most memorable melodies and riffs in metal, which vasts of previous and future generations will follow and try to incorporate in their style ! Pick some heavy band from germany formed in last 20 years - every single one of them has some "Helloween" sound in themselves.
What he said in interview , he was more a thrash/speed guy in Helloween, his riffs and solos were more aggresive and raw, while the other guy was a "melodic" type of player - what awesome combination lead us to forming power metal .

He's also the truest and most honest metal guy there, never sold out, and by the fans suggestion he again took over vocal duties in Gamma Ray.

LONG LIVE GODFATHER KAI!!

Nice words mate. I think that he deserves even more recognition because of all the things that you said here.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 10 2013, 06:29 AM) *
I used to bring Helloween cd's to school and force the other students to listen to them. laugh.gif I just remembered that. Me and one of my friends had occupied the cd player we had in the class room and played all sorts of metal and grunge.

Exactly like me when I was at school... we used to listen to a lot of metal and grunge... miss the 90's. smile.gif

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Oct 10 2013, 06:43 AM) *
It seems that Hansen Wrote better songs on that album

Track listing[edit]

1. "Invitation" Weikath 1:06
2. "Eagle Fly Free" Weikath 5:08
3. "You Always Walk Alone" Kiske 5:08
4. "Rise and Fall" Weikath 4:22
5. "Dr. Stein" Weikath 5:03
6. "We Got the Right" Kiske 5:07
7. "March of Time" Hansen 5:13
8. "I Want Out" Hansen 4:39
9. "Keeper of the Seven Keys" Weikath 13:38
10. "Save Us" Hansen 5

But i don't like that 2nd part much , First part is a lot more "alive" in my opinion ,and Hansen wrote 6 of 8 songs on it , every single one of them is excellent

Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I

1. "Initiation" Hansen 1:21
2. "I'm Alive" Hansen 3:23
3. "A Little Time" Kiske 3:59
4. "Twilight of the Gods" Hansen 4:29
5. "A Tale That Wasn't Right" Weikath 4:42
6. "Future World" Hansen 4:02
7. "Halloween" Hansen 13:18
8. "Follow the Sign" Hansen/Weikath 1:46

Definitely!! Each of the better and most popular songs of those albums are written by Hansen!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 12 2013, 06:10 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 12 2013, 06:42 PM) *
Exactly like me when I was at school... we used to listen to a lot of metal and grunge... miss the 90's. smile.gif

yeah, i miss the 90's too , but less because of the grunge wink.gif
I remmber 5th grade of elementary school and bringing Slayer - Hell Awaits cassette on Christmas day celebration, and putting it into cassette player... Can you imagine the look on the children's faces when the Tom Araya's voice began growling -" join us"

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 13 2013, 07:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Oct 12 2013, 02:10 PM) *
yeah, i miss the 90's too , but less because of the grunge wink.gif
I remmber 5th grade of elementary school and bringing Slayer - Hell Awaits cassette on Christmas day celebration, and putting it into cassette player... Can you imagine the look on the children's faces when the Tom Araya's voice began growling -" join us"

You say: 90's and Metal. and this is what comes to my mind... the most powerful latino american band:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 16 2013, 02:02 PM
To all fans of Helloween , i would recommend this german band since they sound simmilar, and they are better in my opinion.
They released 6 excellent albums in 80's , and they are catchy as hell!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 16 2013, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Hey Slavenko, thanks for the links. I can notice that you are providing of True Metal the whole forum. Metal Guru is proud of you... cool.gif

Here I would like to share with you another two unknown power metal band form Germany that I used to listen when I was a teenager.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 16 2013, 05:09 PM
-HAHA. Tell that Metal guru too change his Dressing code, it's not very metal tongue.gif

Chroming Rose, haven't heard that in Ages, i particulary don't warship that kind of metal, but it's good executed music smile.gif

Btw how did u get those guys cassettes man, u live on the another side of planet? biggrin.gif

Not to forget one "manly" german heavy / power

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 16 2013, 06:06 PM
Instructor
There was a place where you can go and get imported cds and cassettes in those years. It wasn't close to my house but I used to go every Sunday an get at least 3 new cassettes.

In those years I discovered lots of metal bands thanks to it. I used to take my cassette player to listen before buying the albums. Ohh.. golden years!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:29 PM