2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Which Tehcnique Are You Naturally Inclined Towards?
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 29 2013, 09:40 AM
Instructor
Guys, I started this thread because I wanted to help you on discovering your natural abilities regarding the techniques you enjoy playing. The thread which inspired me was this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48372 and I think that it's only a normal thing to discover which are your strong points and work on developing them.

Sometimes, we tend to work on a technique because we think that mastering it will make us look and sound cooler and more like the guitarists we admire, but by doing that, we totally neglect the techniques which we tend to be naturally talented at, thus making them easier for us to master and take to a superior level of execution, accuracy and creativity.

What do you think? Which technique feels naturally 'easy' for you?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 29 2013, 06:15 PM
GMC:er
I'm definitely more of a 'legato' guy. Also I tend to want to find interesting melodic and harmonic choices/alternatives rather than technical devices.
Stretchy chords have always come easy to me as well - even though I don't have large hands.

*This is why I'm beginning to work on few technical things that don't come easy to me. I'm now starting to hear them in my head.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Mar 29 2013, 06:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 29 2013, 08:40 AM) *
Guys, I started this thread because I wanted to help you on discovering your natural abilities regarding the techniques you enjoy playing. The thread which inspired me was this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48372 and I think that it's only a normal thing to discover which are your strong points and work on developing them.

Sometimes, we tend to work on a technique because we think that mastering it will make us look and sound cooler and more like the guitarists we admire, but by doing that, we totally neglect the techniques which we tend to be naturally talented at, thus making them easier for us to master and take to a superior level of execution, accuracy and creativity.

What do you think? Which technique feels naturally 'easy' for you?

Cosmin

I'm into hard rock, punk, and metal. Want to work on that style, playing and writing. I got your thread you started in response to my message to you a week ago. It's march madness and I've been away cause I'm busy with that here in vegas. Just jumped on the forum on my cell.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 29 2013, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm not sure what is natural to me, probably fingerstyle.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 30 2013, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 29 2013, 06:09 PM) *
I'm not sure what is natural to me, probably fingerstyle.

Have you been working on it? smile.gif What's the most advanced finger style phrase/ song you can play?

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Mar 29 2013, 05:34 PM) *
I'm into hard rock, punk, and metal. Want to work on that style, playing and writing. I got your thread you started in response to my message to you a week ago. It's march madness and I've been away cause I'm busy with that here in vegas. Just jumped on the forum on my cell.

No worries mate, the thread is not going anywhere and you can access it and start working together when you feel like it wink.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 29 2013, 05:15 PM) *
I'm definitely more of a 'legato' guy. Also I tend to want to find interesting melodic and harmonic choices/alternatives rather than technical devices.
Stretchy chords have always come easy to me as well - even though I don't have large hands.

*This is why I'm beginning to work on few technical things that don't come easy to me. I'm now starting to hear them in my head.

I think I am on the same boat as you Ken smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 30 2013, 04:15 PM
Learning Roadie
I had years of mainly playing acoustic, so there was a lot of playing fingerstyle, I'm not sure how advanced I would put myself, I've never tried learning anything flashy, just compose and accompany myself.

One of my compositions from 2005
https://soundcloud.com/mattkid/bluebird-days

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Satchstet
Mar 31 2013, 05:16 AM
Tapping and legato for me. I work on the other techniques but AP and sweeping etc seem to really be a struggle for me. I think my execution of arpeggios seems to be easier doing a tapping and string skipping technique rather than sweeping. I wish I was an AP master tho........

This post has been edited by Satchstet: Mar 31 2013, 05:17 AM

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Mar 31 2013, 12:54 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Alternate picking seems to be the only thing I can do on the guitar. Quite pathetic tongue.gif I have been working on sweep picking and it is so damn frustrating..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Mar 31 2013, 02:54 PM
Has to be tapping for me. It just comes much more easily than AP or sweeping. And you can do so much stuff with tapping - scales, arpeggios, sliding, some really wide intervallic ideas and even some crazy stuff like Vai's over-the-neck technique smile.gif. So tapping is also the most "enjoyable" technique for me smile.gif. One thing I haven't tried is 8-finger tapping, maybe I'll get to it at some point in the future.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2013, 03:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 30 2013, 03:15 PM) *
I had years of mainly playing acoustic, so there was a lot of playing fingerstyle, I'm not sure how advanced I would put myself, I've never tried learning anything flashy, just compose and accompany myself.

One of my compositions from 2005
https://soundcloud.com/mattkid/bluebird-days

Mate.. I enjoyed listening to this track very much! I think you are talented and you should work in this direction - you are musical, you have direction and feeling! Congratulations to you!

Guys smile.gif Since Posterboy posted this wonderful melody he has written, why not each of you post a recording with one lick/ phrase/ song, using the technique that you are naturally most inclined towards? Let's see what you can come up with smile.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Mar 31 2013, 06:17 PM
Cos, this is a good topic... or at least in my opinion it is. I think from my own experience, and from being on the outside watching other players I've noticed that sometimes we get an image in our head of what we "THINK" we should be playing based on guitarists that we enjoy listening to versus what naturally flows through our fingers. I feel that if we start working too hard on playing like that idolized person, that we may lose touch on our own talent and style and tend to get frustrated if we aren't sounding like them... when the reality is, we can only be who we are?

I just know with my own experience, I was trying to focus on styles that seemed to go against the grain of my "Natural" ability of playing. With this, I would get extremely frustrated and stop playing for awhile as it became a negative impact on my motivation. Once I realized that I needed to focus on my own personal style of playing, and stopped focusing on trying to play like someone else I noticed that I actually started to improve more and that even those things that I was trying to play before and couldn't, somehow came easier to me. I think it's because I loosened up some and became more confident since I was actually able to play some of the things that was more in my comfort range. So I would take that confidence back to some of those other styles that I wanted to learn and pick bits and pieces of it that seemed to work with my own style, rather than trying to straight up learn a completely different style.

Now obviously with all this in mind, we should definitely use that person who we idolize as a our motivation to better our own playing and style, but does that mean you shouldn't steal a lick or two here and there... absolutely NOT! wink.gif Especially if it meshes well with your own developed style then why not?

So anyhow, that's my two cents worth on the topic. smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 31 2013, 06:33 PM
Cool idea Cosmin.

Here's my stretchy chords example:

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 1 2013, 02:27 AM
Learning Roadie
I find downpicking heavy power chords to be my easy go-to. I like the way it sounds, especially when palm muted. You can hear it in my style. Hey, here's my track showcasing the low end of my new 8string. I still need to shoot a video - but hey, here it is anyway.
https://soundcloud.com/fireball100/mount-kilimanjaro

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2013, 07:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Mar 31 2013, 05:17 PM) *
Cos, this is a good topic... or at least in my opinion it is. I think from my own experience, and from being on the outside watching other players I've noticed that sometimes we get an image in our head of what we "THINK" we should be playing based on guitarists that we enjoy listening to versus what naturally flows through our fingers. I feel that if we start working too hard on playing like that idolized person, that we may lose touch on our own talent and style and tend to get frustrated if we aren't sounding like them... when the reality is, we can only be who we are?

I just know with my own experience, I was trying to focus on styles that seemed to go against the grain of my "Natural" ability of playing. With this, I would get extremely frustrated and stop playing for awhile as it became a negative impact on my motivation. Once I realized that I needed to focus on my own personal style of playing, and stopped focusing on trying to play like someone else I noticed that I actually started to improve more and that even those things that I was trying to play before and couldn't, somehow came easier to me. I think it's because I loosened up some and became more confident since I was actually able to play some of the things that was more in my comfort range. So I would take that confidence back to some of those other styles that I wanted to learn and pick bits and pieces of it that seemed to work with my own style, rather than trying to straight up learn a completely different style.

Now obviously with all this in mind, we should definitely use that person who we idolize as a our motivation to better our own playing and style, but does that mean you shouldn't steal a lick or two here and there... absolutely NOT! wink.gif Especially if it meshes well with your own developed style then why not?

So anyhow, that's my two cents worth on the topic. smile.gif

That's a very good point man - as I told you before, you are on the good path of self discovery wink.gif Now all you have to do is walk the walk!

Which would be your natural ability?

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 31 2013, 05:33 PM) *
Cool idea Cosmin.

Here's my stretchy chords example:

Nice! What a cornucopia of chords! biggrin.gif Great playing Ken!

QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 1 2013, 01:27 AM) *
I find downpicking heavy power chords to be my easy go-to. I like the way it sounds, especially when palm muted. You can hear it in my style. Hey, here's my track showcasing the low end of my new 8string. I still need to shoot a video - but hey, here it is anyway.

Very nice Brandon! I also think you have a very good melodic sense, which is showcased here as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 1 2013, 12:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I cant really think of a technique that I felt was particularly natural for me. I think I gravitate to a particular style or sound with riffs and stuff Ive came up with but so far I dont think any techniques have been natural.
maybe when I finally get round to sweep picking I'll find it mega easy biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Apr 1 2013, 12:28 PM
I tend to use legato more than anything these days. Partly out of frustration with my alternate picking, and partly from doing a lot of playing with Tom Quayle in the last year or so, it kind of crept into my playing without me realising!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 1 2013, 12:45 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 1 2013, 02:27 AM) *

Nothing to do with the thread, but the groove in that is crazy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 1 2013, 02:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 1 2013, 12:44 AM) *
Very nice Brandon! I also think you have a very good melodic sense, which is showcased here as well smile.gif

Thanks Cosmin. I like melody.

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 1 2013, 05:45 AM) *
Nothing to do with the thread, but the groove in that is crazy.

What do you mean? I was telling about my technique of down picking. That's my strong point. Glad you like the groove though.

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 1 2013, 02:17 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 1 2013, 02:14 PM) *
What do you mean? I was telling about my technique of down picking. That's my strong point. Glad you like the groove though.

I was talking about me talking about the groove. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 1 2013, 02:23 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 1 2013, 07:17 AM) *
I was talking about me talking about the groove. laugh.gif

OH! laugh.gif Sorry, misunderstanding - haha those crazy dangling modifiers. tongue.gif Makes sense now. haha

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:32 PM