2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Seymour Duncan Blackout Pickup
Goliath
Mar 7 2008, 07:36 PM
GMC:er
SamAsh is the first place I look locally for gear, I must admit I've not used their online service. Their local shop is second to none, which I should hope would be a reflection on their over all companies policy towards doing business. Seriously, Sam Ash makes guitar center look foolish on a local level, and there are 2 guitar centers near that sam ash. I would order w/ confidence.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 7 2008, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Mar 7 2008, 12:36 PM) *
SamAsh is the first place I look locally for gear, I must admit I've not used their online service. Their local shop is second to none, which I should hope would be a reflection on their over all companies policy towards doing business. Seriously, Sam Ash makes guitar center look foolish on a local level, and there are 2 guitar centers near that sam ash. I would order w/ confidence.

Thankyou for all of your advice on my numerous threads tongue.gif You've really been alot of help.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 7 2008, 07:42 PM
My pleasure, it's what a community is all about bro wink.gif

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 7 2008, 08:01 PM
Good, cause I have another question tongue.gif

You've mentioned livewires before, and the reviews I've read have said that they are some of the best pickups out there, tightest palmutes, screaming harmonics, etc. Would it be better than a Blackout.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 7 2008, 10:29 PM
I don't know depends how much versatility you want/need. The AHB-1s (blackouts) have 2 output modes, so I believe they can hit the standard output of what's in my DV8R as well as a "boost" mode that can boost the output by 20db (I think) Check out the website. Only problem is if you were to drop it in your ESP, there is a cover you slide on to access the boost or not from the back of the pickup. From what I understand, you CAN wire it to a toggle switch in the body (would be sweet), but I don't know what a Luthier would charge you for that kind of action. I honestly don't think either is a bad decision, it's really to your preference at that point, you could install the AHB and have it run in "loud" mode, or install it in "really loud" mode. Or you could install the 18v livewire and implode the sun. I have the Dave Mustaine sig Live wires (only 9v), and I love them. I honestly don't think you can go wrong. You might consider how much versatility you like. So you can ask yourself this question: Who's tone do you like the most? Alexi Laiho or Dave Mustaine (from United Abominations, he recorded w/ a ESP DV8 w/ the live wire sigs)? I really don't know who uses the 18v LiveWire, but I'm sure it's incredible.

Were it me, in true poser fashion, I'd drop in the Blackouts since then it would be "updated" to the 08 Alexi-600s. Maybe switching modes is very easy and you can do it in 5 mins so you can switch output really easily. Plus, you have the option of down the line getting a toggle installed on it. I love my DM sigs, don't get me wrong their my favorite pickup I've owned and I'd install a pair over my vocal cords if I thought it would do to my voice what it does to guitars, but the boost could be a fun toy to play around with. Also, I've not played an 18v active, I can only imagine what it'd be like, so I'll let someone more experience field that one.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 8 2008, 12:08 AM
I think I'll go with the Blackout probably then. The whole two output modes sounds awesome, and I definitely like Laiho's tone more. I'll read up on the Blachouts some more before I make a final desicion. Thanks once again.

PS. By toggle switch do you mean an actual switch that would be installed on the body of the guitar, like a normal pickup selector?

Is this the right one? There's a million of them on Seymore Duncan's website. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/elec...lackouts_metal/

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Mar 8 2008, 12:12 AM

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 8 2008, 02:51 PM
My bad, that's right it's the AHB-2. Looks like they also come with a white cover. If you put a white covered pickup in the body of a white guitar, that'd look really sharp.

yeah a toggle switch would be like a pickup selector, but apparently you can connect them to a push/pull pot as well, if you don't want any new holes in the body of your guitar.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 8 2008, 03:50 PM
This is scaring me off from SamAsh.

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 8 2008, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Mar 8 2008, 09:50 AM) *
This is scaring me off from SamAsh.

WOW. those are some BAD experiences.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 8 2008, 04:19 PM
yikes. Don't know what to tell you, I would order over the phone if you were to take them up on that $700 Laiho axe. Take the name of the guy that helps you get a direct dial number for him if you can (I had ordered a guitar from them at one point but it was back ordered for like 3 months and the website didn't have it listed, so I cancelled my order w/ them, they were pretty amenable and easy to deal w/ on the phone).

Prepare for the worst then demand the best is the only advice I can offer.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 8 2008, 04:25 PM
I read in one of the reviews that if you order over the phone they automatically create an online profile for you with the password "samash" or something, just lettin you know in case they did. I also read one from an ex-employee who said that they would just repackage damaged goods and send them right back out. I really think it would just be worth $300 extra bucks to make sure I'm safe. I'm really scared to order something from now after all of those terrible reviews.

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Mar 8 2008, 04:26 PM

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 8 2008, 04:33 PM
with a V shaped guitar, I can't blame you. Look on ebay, there are literally piles of V's that have chips in the wings from shipping snafus. Even the samash locally had 2 Alexi 600's but both guitars arrived with chips taken off the wings, they glued the chips back because they have a decent luthier in house, but they were marked down to reflect the damage.

Buying a V off the rack might not be a bad idea, or finding one that ships in a HSC would be great.

There's an idea, when I buy a guitar I always buy a case for it, perhaps if you bought it and the case and demanded they ship the guitar IN the case, you'd be in better shape, but then you still run the risk of receiving a dodgy inventory item.

It's a tough call man.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:00 PM