Sweep Picking To A Metronome
loundzilla
Mar 17 2011, 08:07 AM
GMC:er
Hi All,

I've just started learning sweep picking (and yes to a metronome tongue.gif ) - my question is, how many notes should i play per tick? single, double, triplets... etc?

Cheers all smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?
Download the GMC Guitar Theory Grimoire Here!

Guitars
Ibanez RGA42 (EMG 81/85 pickups)
Takemine G series electro acoustic

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 17 2011, 02:23 PM
If you want the easiest way of keeping time, it depends on how many notes are in the sweep. What sweeps are you practicing?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Mar 17 2011, 06:49 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Mar 17 2011, 01:23 PM) *
If you want the easiest way of keeping time, it depends on how many notes are in the sweep. What sweeps are you practicing?

Hey dark dude,
I'm doing the "sweeping basics" lesson by David Walliman.

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 17 2011, 07:24 PM
If you open up the guitar pro file, you'll see that it's tabbed in triplets, plus an extra note, in each section (13 notes total).

You can either forget the last note (as it's only a repeat, and you're focusing on sweeping here), and loop each shape with no pause quite easily (in triplets).

Or, you can include the last note, but you'll have to account for the pause at the end of each repetition (open guitar pro: Sound -> Metronome. If you activate it, you'll be able to play along to the click, or just listen a few times to get a feel for the timing).

--

The reason for being able to use triplets, and loop each section without pauses (once you take out the final note), is that the notes are all of equal timing. Secondly, there are now 12 of them (13 - 1 = 12). Lastly, divide 12 by 3 (triplets) and you have 4 beats.

So, play 3 notes every beat!

Good luck.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Mar 17 2011, 09:02 PM
excellent! didn't know you could get GP tabs !!!!!!

Cheers for the help bud smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:58 AM