80s Impro..., ...sorry for creating another thread
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 09:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey all. Thought I'd share this improvisation I did over the same backing as TJchep.

Critique, please! laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YJgiUvZoGg

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
superize
Aug 7 2008, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
It is a great take. Great tone, great phrasing

All just Great wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Hopefully i can play like that some day

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (superize @ Aug 7 2008, 10:51 PM) *
It is a great take. Great tone, great phrasing

All just Great wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Hopefully i can play like that some day

Thank you very much.

And I'm sure you're not that far off. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 7 2008, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 7 2008, 10:52 PM) *
Thank you very much.

And I'm sure you're not that far off. smile.gif

Trus me i am far far away from that

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Aug 7 2008, 10:11 PM
GMC:er
One thing that you do need to improve on, is your structure. You have some great licks in there, but not many of them really tie together, and tell a Story.

But check this out. smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI8cerldZRk

Some good advice.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Aug 7 2008, 10:12 PM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Aug 7 2008, 11:11 PM) *
One thing that you do need to improve on, is your structure. You have some great licks in there, but not many of them really tie together, and tell a Story.

But check this out. smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI8cerldZRk

Some good advice.

Yes, I know. I think that is mainly a mental process... to some extent. It's the critique I always get. I just need to figure out a way to work on this that fits me.

Thanks for the comment, by the way.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 7 2008, 10:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Aug 7 2008, 10:18 PM
Thats dave the weiner dude....
His rotw series is packed full of info.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
I like the points of "story telling". I've thought of that every once in a while, but while playing I always seem to forget about it! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Aug 7 2008, 10:25 PM
It is a mental proccess I guess.. But I mean.. I'm telling you if you got that down, you'd sound like.. 10 times better than you already do!!

Just food for thought. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Aug 7 2008, 11:25 PM) *
It is a mental proccess I guess.. But I mean.. I'm telling you if you got that down, you'd sound like.. 10 times better than you already do!!

Just food for thought. smile.gif

I agree with you. I'll try and work on it! smile.gif

Thanks for the advice, man! From now on, whenever I play something I want it to be a story! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Aug 7 2008, 10:29 PM
Instructor
I really like your playing dude. I think you have great potential! smile.gif

Oh, and I subscribed to your youtube channel btw! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Aug 7 2008, 10:30 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 7 2008, 10:30 PM
that was good. Idk how any 1 can play without inlays, that must take sum serious skill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Aug 7 2008, 11:30 PM) *
that was good. Idk how any 1 can play without inlays, that must take sum serious skill.

laugh.gif

I'll tell you the secret:

Attached Image

But I would like to have those gone too actually. I think it really helps you learn about the fretboard

QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Aug 7 2008, 11:29 PM) *
I really like your playing dude. I think you have great potential! smile.gif

Oh, and I subscribed to your youtube channel btw! wink.gif

Thanks, Toni! Means a lot coming from someone like you!

Thanks for subscribing. I'm not that effective and good in uploading videos at a constant flow, but glad to have you subscribed.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 7 2008, 10:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 7 2008, 10:37 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 7 2008, 05:33 PM) *
laugh.gif

I'll tell you the secret:

Attached Image

But I would like to have those gone too actually. I think it really helps you learn about the fretboard

haha funny laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 10:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Aug 7 2008, 11:37 PM) *
haha funny laugh.gif

Not that hard to understand now, is it? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2008, 01:00 AM
Instructor
hey man, that sounds very good actually, nice phrasing as well.

Tone is little buzzy, but you're getting close to a smoother tone as I can hear. WIth vibrato you're on the right track, just keep practicing it and it will be great. You have a great sense for rhythm and that really pushes this solo further. Lack of structure is obvious and this is because you don't know where notes are on the fretboard - don't know how they sound. I see that you try to go to strong notes at several points in the solo and often anticipate them, but you need a good background knowledge of where these strong notes are. Just keep rockin man, very good solo.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 8 2008, 01:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 8 2008, 02:00 AM) *
hey man, that sounds very good actually, nice phrasing as well.

Tone is little buzzy, but you're getting close to a smoother tone as I can hear. WIth vibrato you're on the right track, just keep practicing it and it will be great. You have a great sense for rhythm and that really pushes this solo further. Lack of structure is obvious and this is because you don't know where notes are on the fretboard - don't know how they sound. I see that you try to go to strong notes at several points in the solo and often anticipate them, but you need a good background knowledge of where these strong notes are. Just keep rockin man, very good solo.

Thanks for the comment, Ivan.

I think the fact of the strong notes are becomes I'm not quite familiar with using my ear to hear the chords. So it is very much trial and error. So I try to hear what the strong notes would be, and if I don't get it right at the first note, I have to give it another shot. This is also something I'm quite aware of, but not good at practicing.

If I knew the chord progression (say Dm - C - F - Gm for instance) I think it would be a little bit easier, but obviously I don't.

Once again thanks for the comment!

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Aug 8 2008, 02:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would have to agree with Ivan on this one.

All in all I like what you did with this. Great job! The tone (IMHO) would fit better if it were warmer. It is a very open sounding progression (backing track) so you need warmth and vibrato to sexy it up. I also like the sliding around from one note to another you did. Good idea. They’re where times I started to feel a Satriani vibe.

You definitely got skills but I don't think you need to prove anything to us. During your improve I felt like you where trying to show off all the different technical stuff your capable of maybe a little to much (hope this is making sense). I would of liked to see you just play and not think so much but feel. This would have added more passion to you’re phrasing and made your playing sound even greater. smile.gif

Keep on keeping on man. Well done!

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Aug 8 2008, 02:53 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 8 2008, 03:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Aug 8 2008, 03:51 AM) *
I would have to agree with Ivan on this one.

All in all I like what you did with this. Great job! The tone (IMHO) would fit better if it were warmer. It is a very open sounding progression (backing track) so you need warmth and vibrato to sexy it up. I also like the sliding around from one note to another you did. Good idea. They're where times I started to feel a Satriani vibe.

You definitely got skills but I don't think you need to prove anything to use. During your improve I felt like you where trying to show off all the different technical stuff your capable of maybe a little to much (hope this is making sense). I would of liked to see you just play and not think so much but feel. This would have added more passion to you're phrasing and made your playing sound even greater. smile.gif

Keep on keeping on man. Well done!

Thanks for the comment man. What would add more warmth to the tone...

I know you guys are probably not familiar with boss GT6 but I'll try and write down my settings:

Preamp type: R-fier Red
Gain: 67/100
Bass: 63/100
Middle: 71/100
Treble: 63/100
Presence: 100/100 (Anything else seems to sound VERY distant)
Amp level: 50/100

EQ:
Low Eq: +5 dB
Lo-mid f: 160 Hz
Lo-mid Q: 4
Lo-mid EQ: +4 dB
Hi-mid f: 1.60 kHz
Hi-mid Q: 4
Hi-mid EQ: +5 dB
High EQ: +4 dB
Level 0 dB

Compresser:
Sustain: 40/100
Attack: 35/100
Tone: -20 (from -50 to +50) (WTF?)
Level: 50/100

Delay:
Type: Single
Dly time: 440 ms
High Cut: Flat
Effect level 20/100

It sounds quite alright though when coming straight out of my speakers, I think. But if anything could be improved, I'm all ears.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Aug 8 2008, 03:58 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
That's hard for me to answer because I have never used a GT6.

It looks like a POD xt live or something. Is it a modeling device like that?

I use a Line6 UX1 for recording and a Line6 Flextone 3 for playing live. What I have learned about amp models when recording is less is more in some cases. The patches I use with my live rig are nowhere close to the ones I record with. They are toned down quite a bit. When I work on a tone I listen to it through the UX1, Gearbox and the DAW. When it sounds good I record. Then I render it to mp3 and listen. Do it and you will see what I mean? What you hear when you are recording, sounds different after the recording and render. If it doesn't sound right I adjust and repeat the process.

Now to try and help based on what I hear and your settings. If that was my recording I would.......

I like Marshall models or Saldano for an amp. A Rectifier model like your using seems to record harsh or fuzzy to me (can sound really good with the live rig though). Cabinet choice makes a big difference in tone as well as the mic distance and type. Watch out with the compressor. I don't even use it when I record. It makes things sound fuzzy and takes away the natural tone and picking dynamics of your playing if you're not careful. EQ I wouldn't worry about till after you record and you get nit picky. You can always change that with a VST EQ and it will give you more flexibility. The same goes with adding delay and reverb. Record with less, you can always add more with a VST.

If it were I would back the high end off (Presence), no compression (or very little), turn off the EQ (if the amp doesn't sound good without it then maybe choose another), delay in the mix turn up a little and add some reverb (that will give you depth and warmth). Try something medium to big and play with the mix to dry. This can make a big difference.

Hope this was helpful. I will shut up now and go to bed.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:24 AM