arpeggios or scales?
Leo T
Aug 30 2006, 01:23 AM
GMC:er
ha guys, I was wondering if any one can help explaning what an arpeggio is? I thought it was just a chord picked not strummed, but the more I look into it the more they seem like scales. It looks like the pentatonic scale and arpeggios share the same 5 c-a-g-e-d positions. So why would you use arpeggios and not just scales? Thanks guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Santana
Aug 30 2006, 03:50 AM
An arpeggio is a chords' notes played seperately. For example, A C Major Arpeggio:

E:---0---------------------0-----
B:---1-------------------1-------
G:---0-----------------0---------
D:---2---------------2-----------
A:---3-------------3-------------
E:-------------------------------
CMaj Chord CMaj Arpeggio

Sometimes it doesnt involve just picking the notes that you see, for example, a D Major Chord:

E:---2--------------------2
B:---3-----------------3---
G:---2-------------2-------
D:---0-------0-4-----------
A:--------------------------
E:---------------------------
DMaj Chord DMaj Arpeggio

I wont go deep into details on why its played like this, because, I havent fully grasped it myself, so, if i say anything it may be false laugh.gif
I just wanted you to understand the basics on what an arpeggio is.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 31 2006, 09:00 AM
GMC Founder
Arpeggios are just the same notes as you find in chords, but spread all over the fretboard, and played separately.

In order to memorise where those note are on the fretboard, guitarists tend to learn arepggio shapes - such as the one found in tapping lesson 4 .

Those shapes can be played with different techniques, the most common one in "shred" is sweeping. But arepggios can be played with ALL guitar techniques.

K

+Quote Post
Leo T
Sep 1 2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I guess i'll try learning some arepggio shapes and just play around with them. One more question, is the way SRV plays "little wing" based on arepggio shapes?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 5 2006, 09:38 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Leo T)
Thanks for the info guys, I guess i'll try learning some arepggio shapes and just play around with them. One more question, is the way SRV plays "little wing" based on arepggio shapes?

Little wing sure contains chords where the notes are played separately (both Jimi and SRV version). It also includes a some pentatonic scale (remember the pentatonic scale is pretty close to an arpeggio, as it only contains five notes).

/Kris

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:49 PM