2 Pages V  < 1 2  
SOme guitarists...
InstruMental Cas...
Aug 5 2006, 02:24 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, this is my first post, so I better make it count! I'm the guy who makes those Guitars SUCK videos. Whoever said Kristofer should be in it - your wish has been granted. He'll be in #5 and beyond!

I'm a monster Buckethead fan. I have around 30 of his albums. I saw him not that long ago in Houston, and I just found out last night that he's coming right back in a couple of months. When I went to that show I brought a 50 year old KFC bucket filled with stuff like chicken candles in a coop display, a Buckethead lego my little brother made, a small rubber chicken suspended in a glass bottle and filled with fake blood, a bloody finger-printed up letter to the man himself, and some other stuff. When I gave the whole thing to Big B. he just looked at me and gave me like this nodding "yeah" expression. :> It was awesome.

Here's a bio I wrote about Buckethead awhile back for the Six-String Bliss podcast:

In a nutshell, the story goes... Buckethead is the bastard son of a preacher, and was raised in a chicken coop by chickens. The chickens loved him so much they pecked his face off. He grew up in the coop playing a soap-box guitar and watching slasher movies on the screen of a distant drive-in movie theater. He couldn't actually hear the movies, so he did all the sound effects on his guitar. Apparently one day someone threw the chicken bucket into the coop, and it was then he realized that they were eating his family, so he starting trying to piece the bones back together, and "just sorta went nuts" and decided to wear the bucket on his head (because he could channel the deal souls of the chickens into his playing). Somewhere along the line Colonel Sanders supposedly got him his first break into the music industry, or something to that effect. His first record was Bucketheadland, which was about the construction of Big B's imaginary theme park of the same name. Many of Buckethead's follow-up records or songs are about new additions to the park, or about giant Godzilla-style robot fights.

The real story is that Brian Carroll was a kid who grew up in C.A. just minutes away from Disneyland. He loves it so much that he wants to be buried there. He also loves gory movies (especially the Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Leatherface is his all-time #1 hero), Bruce Lee (probably the reason behind the nun chucks), Willy Wonka, Michael Jackson (probably the reason behind the dancing), the old Japanese robot action TV show "Giant Robot," Michael Jordan (maybe because they're both pretty tall), and the late guitarist Shawn Lane (who was Buckethead's favorite musician of all time, and they even kinda got to play together before Shawn died).

I think the story behind the mask/bucket went that one night a late-teenaged Brian Carroll left a Friday the 13th slasher sequel and wanted to get a mask like the character Michael Myers had in the movie, but the closest thing the store had was the kind of mask you see him wearing today. Later that night Brian's dad brought home a bucket of chicken (not even KFC), and after eating it, he had the strange sensation to try it on his head along with the mask. It only took him one look in the mirror to think of the name "Buckethead," and to decide that was what who he wanted to be from then on. Apparently pre-Buckethead Brian Carroll had a bad case of stage fright that would always mess up his live playing. The bucket/mask basically fixed that problem, because now he can just take the stage as this anonymous character that personifies all of his interests.

He started off playing in a band called The Deli Creeps, and later moved onto his solo career which spans tons of genres. He's played metal, rock, fusion, jazz, funk, world, avant-garde, and basically everything else you can think of. He releases a new record every couple of months, and he does countless side recordings, sometimes under other names. Certain rare albums of his often sell on eBay for hundreds of dollars.

On stage Buckethead plays over-sized custom Les Pauls, which were given to him by GNR. Apparently he joined the band after Axl gave him a coveted Leatherface doll for Christmas one year. They actually built him his own coop in the recording studio. He eventually quit the band because of their inability to release a record.

His latest release is the "Secret Recipe" DVD (as in, KFC's secret chicken recipe), which is a two-disc DVD featuring footage of him from way back when he was in the Deli Creeps to now, along with a bunch of other random crap like him getting a super rare life-sized giant robot toy delivered to his pad. There's also a couple of live shows on the DVD as well. I think every copy comes with a ticket giving you a chance to win one of B's white L.P. guitars, which I suppose is a homage to Wonka's golden tickets.

He's currently on tour, which is something he does quite often. The last few tours have come with tour exclusive albums, the current of which is titled "Elephant Man's Alarm Clock," and has quickly become a fan favorite. During Buckethead's live shows, the stage is kept somewhat dark with a lot of flashing lights in the audience's faces. Photography and recording is allowed, but flash photography isn't - probably because Buckethead doesn't want people seeing his blue eyes very often. He actually wears the mask with he eye holes below his eyes, so when someone occasionally does take a flash photo they don't get a picture of his eyes. How he sees in the dark and how he doesn't suffer from a heatstroke on stage - with that heavy guitar, the flashing lights, the blaring music, the bucket and mask, the often multiple shirts (which always includes a long sleeve on the outside), and the long pants (always) - is beyond me. His live shows are pretty awesome though. They're almost always him playing his metal stuff, even though Buckethead does a lot of fusion recordings which are very different (I prefer them to his horror-show-metal). He always does the a robot dance at least once, swings around his nun chucks (a skill he's quite impressive at), and hands out toys to audience members (many of his bigger fans such as myself like to bring him presents, too).

Despite what you might think of a guy who speaks out of a decapitated head hand puppet called Herbie (who is his personal spokesperson and manager), Buckethead's actually a pretty good role model. He's no alcohol/drugs, and he teaches us to follow our dreams... no matter how crazy or against the law they may be.

And here's a download link for the song "Nottingham Lace".

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Aug 5 2006, 09:35 AM
Wow, that's awesome! Buckethead is easily my favourite guitarist, even though I've barely heard 1/3 of his recorded stuff so far.

Also, you might have missed it but i posted the download link to Nottingham Lace just at the top of this page, although I linked to his site instead of directly because I wanted to help bring visitors there instead of just leeching his bandwidth.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 21 2007, 10:03 PM
Buckethead is a WEIRDO!

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Feb 22 2007, 03:27 AM
Brand new 13 CD set for $200. All hand-made by Buckethead himself.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:38 AM