18 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
liveOASISforever
Jun 8 2014, 05:34 PM
GMC:er
Hi Cosmin

Here is another take of Beginner Rock Rhythm.I was trying to record the lesson for about two hours but kept making mistakes because the camera was recording and I was getting nervous.My arm and hand became sore because I was tensing up to much and getting frustrated. I took a couple of hours break to let my arm and hand loosen up and came back and try and record again.I need to learn how to relax and focus on what I am doing.I know I can do this when I am not recording so I just need to break down those barriers.

The take has mistakes and timing issues but I know I can do better.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2014, 08:30 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Nice axe biggrin.gif

I think you need to take a few steps back and focus on the following things:

- your tone needs a bit more gain - it's too dry at this point and it's not helping at all
- try to record against the original to see where your timing slips occur
- after that, learn the whole piece by heart and hum it against the original recording while tapping your foot on the floor - notice the note length and the rests in respect to the tempo and beat dictated by the foot!
- try to record it against a simple metronome click at a lower speed

At this point, the biggest issue is that you don't seem to remember the piece thoroughly and the speed is not helping, You can always try to record over a slower backing - in this way you will see if technique is the issue or you still have to rehearse because you haven't yet internalized the piece.

Keep working hard and let me know if there are any questions wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 9 2014, 08:21 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 9 2014, 08:30 AM) *
Hey mate! Nice axe biggrin.gif

I think you need to take a few steps back and focus on the following things:

- your tone needs a bit more gain - it's too dry at this point and it's not helping at all
- try to record against the original to see where your timing slips occur
- after that, learn the whole piece by heart and hum it against the original recording while tapping your foot on the floor - notice the note length and the rests in respect to the tempo and beat dictated by the foot!
- try to record it against a simple metronome click at a lower speed

At this point, the biggest issue is that you don't seem to remember the piece thoroughly and the speed is not helping, You can always try to record over a slower backing - in this way you will see if technique is the issue or you still have to rehearse because you haven't yet internalized the piece.

Keep working hard and let me know if there are any questions wink.gif

Thanks for your feedback Cosmin

Here is a recording against the original

I think I got a little excited with the bend in there and went way to sharp laugh.gif

When I break down the lesson into sections and practice with the metronome it feels like I have got it down and I know what I am doing.Then when I put everything together it becomes a mess

I think I will record against a metronome click next. That sounds like a good idea

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 13 2014, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 9 2014, 07:21 PM) *
Thanks for your feedback Cosmin

Here is a recording against the original

I think I got a little excited with the bend in there and went way to sharp laugh.gif

When I break down the lesson into sections and practice with the metronome it feels like I have got it down and I know what I am doing.Then when I put everything together it becomes a mess

I think I will record against a metronome click next. That sounds like a good idea

Hey amigo!

The rhythm part sounds a bit stiff and it's not tight with the original - take a listen and you will see what I mean. You need to memorize the riffs thoroughly and understand where they are being played. The lead part is better in comparison to the rhythm one. So please focus on listening to the recording and seeing the differences in the rhythm - especially in the part before the solo wink.gif Deal?

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 17 2014, 10:56 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 13 2014, 02:51 PM) *
Hey amigo!

The rhythm part sounds a bit stiff and it's not tight with the original - take a listen and you will see what I mean. You need to memorize the riffs thoroughly and understand where they are being played. The lead part is better in comparison to the rhythm one. So please focus on listening to the recording and seeing the differences in the rhythm - especially in the part before the solo wink.gif Deal?

Hi Cosmin

I have being listening over the original recording and my recordings and I can finally feel that it is not tight. To be honest I didn't know 100% if it was tight or if it wasn't. I do struggle to feel it. I think this lesson in particular is maybe harder for me to feel.It is possible because of the speed is to fast for me.

The thing is with the lesson I know where every note is being played by memory but it doesn't show when I record it.

It is frustrating how long it seems that I have spent on this lesson and still cannot play it properly.Maybe I should take a little break from this lesson and come back to it in a couple of weeks with a fresh approach.

I am still working on Darius alternate picking workout and a part I was struggling with to sound smooth I think I have improved on. I am off work for two weeks so I will be practicing a lot off guitar and hopefully I will be able to upload some more positive recordings smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 17 2014, 12:19 PM
Instructor
Hey amigo! No worries wink.gif I am sure that taking a little bit of time off that particular lesson will give you a fresh new insight on it. In the mean time tho, I would like to suggest you to tackle a new rhythm lesson, which would be a little easier than the previous one.

I think that it will help you out in working out so that you may be able to tackle this problematic one with more success smile.gif

I was thinking about this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...r2-palm-muting/

The right hand will thank you for this one smile.gif I am looking forward to hearing your input on the suggestion, mate wink.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 18 2014, 06:49 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 17 2014, 12:19 PM) *
Hey amigo! No worries wink.gif I am sure that taking a little bit of time off that particular lesson will give you a fresh new insight on it. In the mean time tho, I would like to suggest you to tackle a new rhythm lesson, which would be a little easier than the previous one.

I think that it will help you out in working out so that you may be able to tackle this problematic one with more success smile.gif

I was thinking about this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...r2-palm-muting/

The right hand will thank you for this one smile.gif I am looking forward to hearing your input on the suggestion, mate wink.gif

This lesson looks really good Cosmin. I was practicing it yesterday and it feels I can play on time and it makes sense thanks smile.gif

I will keep you updated with my progress

Cheers

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 18 2014, 06:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 18 2014, 05:49 AM) *
This lesson looks really good Cosmin. I was practicing it yesterday and it feels I can play on time and it makes sense thanks smile.gif

I will keep you updated with my progress

Cheers

Great, mate! It is very important for me to know directly how you feel about some tasks I am sending your way, so that I may be able to guide you and help you out as well as possible wink.gif

So, in fewer words, when you aren't 100% sure of something - be it something you don't understand in a lesson or simply when a lesson feels too difficult for the time being, just let me know wink.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 18 2014, 10:34 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 18 2014, 06:55 AM) *
Great, mate! It is very important for me to know directly how you feel about some tasks I am sending your way, so that I may be able to guide you and help you out as well as possible wink.gif

So, in fewer words, when you aren't 100% sure of something - be it something you don't understand in a lesson or simply when a lesson feels too difficult for the time being, just let me know wink.gif

No problem Cosmin I will let you know smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2014, 06:59 AM
Instructor
Alright bro - I'm here if ya need me wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jun 19 2014, 07:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 17 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Who knows, maybe he will learn how to sing as quickly as he learned how to mix smile.gif

Jeroen - how are you faring mate? We were missing you in the practice schedule thread wink.gif

Hi Cosmin, I'm playing and practicing everyday, but progress is slow. Still struggling with alternate picking on the slowest backing track. Somehow I cannot play it exactly in time. But it's getting better, I don't want to rush things. Winter tune is getting there, practicing on it, but not very day. Sometimes I get back to the voice of my guitar. I played that live for some friends and they were impressed! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2014, 07:31 AM
Instructor
Hehe! I see you are a busy man wink.gif This is great and I think that you will certainly make progress with things. I was curious tho, have you tried playing the alternate picking lesson against the original recording? You should also record it that way, so that you can listen and see where the spots that need more focus are occurring.

Usually, it's a matter of becoming very conscious of a few things when we are dealing with a musical phrase:

- where it starts and where it ends, in respect to the backing track and bars
- the note lengths and the rest lengths
- the dynamics of the notes - are they being played evenly or some softer some louder?
- the tempo - when you decrease or increase a tempo, the phrase keeps the same form, so always be aware of this aspect, as there are some cases in which people interpret some phrases differently just because they are slower or faster. But it's like thinking that a man becomes fatter or thinner just because he is walking and then running smile.gif Nope, he stays the same regardless of how fast he is moving.

Now, having all these in mind - I would be curious to hear a recording of the alternate picking lesson against the original recording. What say you?

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jun 19 2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Cosmin, I will record over the original and post it here, so we can analyze it.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 19 2014, 08:31 AM) *
Hehe! I see you are a busy man wink.gif This is great and I think that you will certainly make progress with things. I was curious tho, have you tried playing the alternate picking lesson against the original recording? You should also record it that way, so that you can listen and see where the spots that need more focus are occurring.

Usually, it's a matter of becoming very conscious of a few things when we are dealing with a musical phrase:

- where it starts and where it ends, in respect to the backing track and bars
- the note lengths and the rest lengths
- the dynamics of the notes - are they being played evenly or some softer some louder?
- the tempo - when you decrease or increase a tempo, the phrase keeps the same form, so always be aware of this aspect, as there are some cases in which people interpret some phrases differently just because they are slower or faster. But it's like thinking that a man becomes fatter or thinner just because he is walking and then running smile.gif Nope, he stays the same regardless of how fast he is moving.

Now, having all these in mind - I would be curious to hear a recording of the alternate picking lesson against the original recording. What say you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 19 2014, 06:35 AM) *
Hi Cosmin, I will record over the original and post it here, so we can analyze it.

Perfect! Let's see the take smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 19 2014, 11:23 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 19 2014, 06:59 AM) *
Alright bro - I'm here if ya need me wink.gif

Hi Cosmin

Regarding the lesson assigned I have a couple of questions.

1. The original recordings tempo is 102 BPM. The backing track available for downloads tempo is 80BPM and is the same time duration as the 102 BPM backing track. So basically it cuts off early.

2.Part 6 and 7 I don't get how to play that part as it seems that there are too many notes too play 16th note patterns over a bar of 4 beats. I tried listening over the original recording to see what is happening but it is too fast for me to work it out.

Apart from that the lesson feels great and I have really enjoyed learning it.I just need to understand the last part and I will be able to record a take very soon. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 20 2014, 08:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 19 2014, 10:23 AM) *
Hi Cosmin

Regarding the lesson assigned I have a couple of questions.

1. The original recordings tempo is 102 BPM. The backing track available for downloads tempo is 80BPM and is the same time duration as the 102 BPM backing track. So basically it cuts off early.

2.Part 6 and 7 I don't get how to play that part as it seems that there are too many notes too play 16th note patterns over a bar of 4 beats. I tried listening over the original recording to see what is happening but it is too fast for me to work it out.

Apart from that the lesson feels great and I have really enjoyed learning it.I just need to understand the last part and I will be able to record a take very soon. smile.gif

Hey mate smile.gif Well, there is one thing you can do that will totally enhance your playing abilities - play the whole piece with the metronome only smile.gif

It will be a bit more difficult because this means that you understand it and that you can play it thoroughly in any condition and in respect to videos 6 and 7, my suggestion is to follow the slowed down videos and play along with them. There's this option on the video gauge that allows you to create a loop of the part you want to practice wink.gif Please take a look at the image I attached and drag the little arrows on the gauge, with your mouse to create a loop and then play alongside - it's slowed down and you can surely use it to understand the parts in both vids. Please let me know how it feels, ok?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 20 2014, 10:52 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 20 2014, 08:34 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif Well, there is one thing you can do that will totally enhance your playing abilities - play the whole piece with the metronome only smile.gif

It will be a bit more difficult because this means that you understand it and that you can play it thoroughly in any condition and in respect to videos 6 and 7, my suggestion is to follow the slowed down videos and play along with them. There's this option on the video gauge that allows you to create a loop of the part you want to practice wink.gif Please take a look at the image I attached and drag the little arrows on the gauge, with your mouse to create a loop and then play alongside - it's slowed down and you can surely use it to understand the parts in both vids. Please let me know how it feels, ok?

I think I have got it worked out now Cosmin thanks for your help mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jun 21 2014, 09:34 AM
Cosmin, I need your help.

In wintertune near the end there are bends. Is it called a unison bend? Anyway, I mean the bends where you hold one note with your index finger and bend the string above it with your ring/ middle finger. That's ok, but then adding vibrato to it. No matter what I try, I hardly get that played right, leave alone playing it up to speed. How should I approach practicing this phrase?

Thanks Jeroen

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2014, 05:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 20 2014, 09:52 AM) *
I think I have got it worked out now Cosmin thanks for your help mate smile.gif

Always a pleasure mate wink.gif Let me know how it goes with those last two phrases in videos 6 and 7 - they are not as tricky as they seem, once you understand the rhythmic pattern biggrin.gif

This lesson will be very helpful for learning how to deal with rhythmic subdivisions in the context of rhythm playing:

- open string riffing
- phrase ending formulas - which I think are those parts you were having trouble with - correct? smile.gif

Let me know how it goes, mate wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2014, 06:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 21 2014, 08:34 AM) *
Cosmin, I need your help.

In wintertune near the end there are bends. Is it called a unison bend? Anyway, I mean the bends where you hold one note with your index finger and bend the string above it with your ring/ middle finger. That's ok, but then adding vibrato to it. No matter what I try, I hardly get that played right, leave alone playing it up to speed. How should I approach practicing this phrase?

Thanks Jeroen

Hello Jeroen - have you noticed how Piotr squeezes the neck of the guitar when he bends and vibrates? You will see the same principle at work in the following video:

Please notice how I grab the neck and use the thumb to pivot the wrist which in turn executes the vibrato - it's powerful and strong because of the wrist involved smile.gif The unison bends rely on the same principle when coming to vibrato - please try it and let me know how it feels, ok?

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:16 PM