Varying Distortion In Ep, +/- 5% Gain Change
thefireball
Jun 23 2012, 10:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC!

I'm recording an EP happy.gif . I got the main frame for one song. So I was thinking about another song I want to do in the EP. I think the next song would benefit from a boost of 5% gain on the amp head than the other song. I think had plenty of distortion for the song I already have recorded. So is it "wrong" or not going to sound right if I change the sound (drive) a little bit? I'm going to try to keep the same overall tone throughout the EP, but I wanted to make some changes here and there so it sounds a little different. This boost of gain is an example.

My guitar is a Jackson SLSMG with 81/85 EMG Pickups, tuned to Drop Ab with 14-68 gauge strings.
Signal chain in POD Farm:

Noise Gate, Compressor, Line 6 Big Bottom Head, and 4x12 Treadplate Cab, miked with a 57 off axis.
Head settings are as follows: Drive 30, Bass 28, Mid 83, Treb 42, Presence 100.

It's these settings I have used for my first song I recorded. The second song I want to record will be in Standard Bb, and I want to bring the gain up to 35%. (It's just because of how I want the song to sound. Just needs a little bit more boost.)

So is this okay to do in an album/EP?

-Brandon Burch

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Jesse
Jun 24 2012, 02:21 AM
GMC:er
If it sounds good, it is good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 05:09 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jun 23 2012, 08:21 PM) *
If it sounds good, it is good.

Thanks Jesse. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 24 2012, 06:55 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
When it comes to this I think there is no right or wrong way to do it. IMO you should treat each song differently and set the appropriate tones and even use different instruments if its going to benefit the song itself. Having that in mind, changing settings on the amp sounds sounds OK. Each song is different and might require a different "formula" for it to sound good.

I understand that you want to keep the similar feel/sound throughout the EP and I guess you are going to accomplish that anyway if you use same "fingers", same studio (recording environment) + possibly have it all mastered by the same person keeping the same feel throughout.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jun 24 2012, 07:12 AM
Tone Seeker
Yeah I agree with Bogdan. Just record your songs like you want and leave the volume level/mixing/mastering stuff for the hired guy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 24 2012, 01:40 PM
Instructor
Can't put it better than Bogdan smile.gif treat each song as a different person wink.gif they all look different, have a different message and feel, right?

Creating a homogeneous sound is not done only by using the same tones smile.gif it's a matter of creating a personal touch to your music - this comes with time and writing A LOT! Explore and write, write, write!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 24 2012, 02:57 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 23 2012, 10:09 PM) *

So is this okay to do in an album/EP?

-Brandon Burch

Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - people use a variety of gutars, amps and amp settings etc when recording more than one track. Some change these mid track. The choice of what to use is a production decison and based on the individual composition and what it needs. Whether or not you need more distortion or not for a particular track - none of us can answer that as none of us have heard it or know what the production intends for it.

Cohesion is something that is usually considered part of mastering. Here it's about ensuring that the entire work sounds like a cohesive entity if so desired. If it is desired it is often more about macro EQ etc rather than micro managing the settings on an indivdual amp.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2012, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Yeah, go for it Brandon. I often think back to the 2 Megadeth albums that were the most varied tone wise : Cryptic Writings & Risk. They used loads of different tones and effects. The person mixing will have to use their experience to make it work in the overall mix and treat each guitar differently as they have different pickups, slightly different volumes etc but yeah, having different sounds on different tracks seems to have been going since the dawn of recording smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 06:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the replies, guys. Now I feel more confident. It's kinda scary recording your very first EP. But it is the only way to share with the world what I have got. I may not ever get very popular, but I don't care. As long as a handful of people enjoy what I do, I will be thankful.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 24 2012, 06:44 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Your first EP will be one of 30 maybe? laugh.gif

I actually released a full blown "album" a few years ago, something like 2 hours long, 15 songs, artwork and stuff. But its all a learning experience for me. Since that I have done two EP's, I only consider an EP a publicly available collection of songs for analysis and criticisms for the day when I have the proper time and money to do an actual, full album, high quality and everything.

So basically, experiment with anything. I do most things musical with little to no consideration, learned some really cool things, learned some really, REALLY bad things as well laugh.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 06:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 24 2012, 12:44 PM) *
Your first EP will be one of 30 maybe? laugh.gif

I actually released a full blown "album" a few years ago, something like 2 hours long, 15 songs, artwork and stuff. But its all a learning experience for me. Since that I have done two EP's, I only consider an EP a publicly available collection of songs for analysis and criticisms for the day when I have the proper time and money to do an actual, full album, high quality and everything.

So basically, experiment with anything. I do most things musical with little to no consideration, learned some really cool things, learned some really, REALLY bad things as well laugh.gif

Thanks, Brett. I'm trying to forget the fact that I will probably "hate" my first EP five years down the road. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 24 2012, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 24 2012, 06:44 PM) *
... But its all a learning experience ...

Which is true for us all, regardless of time and experience. Anyone who thinks they know it all is deluded.

Back to you though Brett - you've come on a hell of a long way from the early recordings that I remember smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 06:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 24 2012, 12:55 PM) *
Which is true for us all, regardless of time and experience. Anyone who thinks they know it all is deluded.

Back to you though Brett - you've come on a hell of a long way from the early recordings that I remember smile.gif .

And THAT makes me excited knowing that can improve myself too with time.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 24 2012, 07:08 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 24 2012, 06:58 PM) *
And THAT makes me excited knowing that can improve myself too with time.

Great - and you've also improved a hell of a lot Brandon smile.gif .

It's a long road but as MAo once said - a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step...

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 07:32 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 24 2012, 01:08 PM) *
Great - and you've also improved a hell of a lot Brandon smile.gif .

It's a long road but as MAo once said - a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step...

THANKS, Tony! happy.gif That means a lot coming from you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2012, 07:38 PM
Instructor
It's true.. you've made some amazing progress here Brandon !

And Brett, you already know how much I admire your level of creativity. I don't know how you do it.. create other worlds and stories. Like the Tolkien of metal biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 24 2012, 07:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 24 2012, 01:38 PM) *
It's true.. you've made some amazing progress here Brandon !

And Brett, you already know how much I admire your level of creativity. I don't know how you do it.. create other worlds and stories. Like the Tolkien of metal biggrin.gif

Thanks, Ben.

And I totally agree with you on Brett. I'm amazed at the quality of his music! It sounds like it is ready for commercial, if it were mastered. The atmospheres he creates is awesome. There's one song I remember that had a riff so dark and epic I literally loved it.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 24 2012, 07:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 24 2012, 07:43 PM) *
Thanks, Ben.

And I totally agree with you on Brett. I'm amazed at the quality of his music! It sounds like it is ready for commercial, if it were mastered. The atmospheres he creates is awesome. There's one song I remember that had a riff so dark and epic I literally loved it.

Yeah, his production puts me to shame ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 25 2012, 03:46 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I'm wicked embarrassed right now ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Jun 25 2012, 04:45 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 24 2012, 11:54 AM) *
Thanks, Brett. I'm trying to forget the fact that I will probably "hate" my first EP five years down the road. tongue.gif

Fireball I'd love to hear a sample. What kind of music? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:26 PM