Talking About Hearing Issues And Ear Protection
timrobwall
Mar 29 2013, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing some mild sensitivity to high pitched noises (dishes banging together and talking on the cell phone), which I've assumed has something to do with music. This became a little more intense after last Saturday's gig, and my hearing is just starting to return to normal now (five days later). I'm on vacation for a two weeks starting Sunday, and I'm going to give my ears a total break from amplified music. But I've also decided to try to start wearing earplugs. I got a good pair of custom fitted Etymotic musicians earplugs and I've started wearing them during personal practice (not yet with the band). I can see it's going to be a pretty tough transition -- everything sounds just a bit distant. Anybody out there have a similar experience. Anybody use earplugs or know somebody who has? What have you experienced/heard (no jokes, please). Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 30 2013, 12:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
I used to wear phones during pactice, but not at shows, it was to late however I now have a constant ringing.
The 3 major causes of tinnitus are
pneumatic tools
load music
and Guns
of course my Job and my 2 hobbies so I was basically screwed from the start

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 30 2013, 08:56 PM
Instructor
I always use protection in rehearsals. I use ear plugs or at least cotton to decrease the sound level. I don't use them when I play live because I'm not comfortable with that absence of power. I don't have experience with hearing issues but I recommend you to go to the doctor. Our ears are the most important thing so we have to take care of them!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2013, 04:54 PM
Instructor
I seriously encourage you to get past the isolation problem. I know it's a bit tough, but it will save you a lot of trouble from now on. I for one never had hearing problems, but then again I have almost always used plugs on stage and at rehearsals for some time now!

Keep us posted!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Mar 31 2013, 05:10 PM
Interesting topic, could use some information on this subject since I don't want to get any ear damage! smile.gif

So I was wondering if anyone knows anything about in-ear monitors? I like the idea of having all the music close to my ears but also being isolated from all the bad frequencies that can cause any ear damage.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 31 2013, 08:06 PM
Instructor
Yeah...playing without ear plugs...especially in the small pub's can destroy Your ears. Worst thing is that they cannot be healed in many cases. Ear plugs are not comfortable but...if You wanna be a player who set up treble amp knob to ten...then go for it and don't use them. First of all You have to admit that hearing is something very precious ans something that can be lost very quickly even if You feel it's ok now. Oh...and never stand close to the cymbals in small, closed spaces biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2013, 07:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Mar 31 2013, 04:10 PM) *
Interesting topic, could use some information on this subject since I don't want to get any ear damage! smile.gif

So I was wondering if anyone knows anything about in-ear monitors? I like the idea of having all the music close to my ears but also being isolated from all the bad frequencies that can cause any ear damage.

Thanks in advance.

I will make up a little movie showcasing my ear monitoring gear and post it here, aye? smile.gif

+Quote Post
timrobwall
Apr 1 2013, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Mar 31 2013, 04:10 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

It is really important especially as you start to get older and start putting mileage on the ears. I seem to have reovered. But what was scary to me is how you can go from more or less normal hearing to problems in one gig. It can not only end your career as a musician but impact your entire life. Really, there is no need for the stage to be 1000 dbs - but that's another topic.

Check out http://www.hearnet.com/about/about_accomplishments.shtml

Never used in ear monitors. I don't put any buds of anykind in my ears anymore. I've heard that thy can be isolating. But advances are being made. http://www.mailermailer.com/x?function=vie...81563n-70a91387

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 1 2013, 02:21 PM
Learning Roadie
I've noticed at band practice my ears ring after a few hours, and I am very near the drums in the small garage. I keep hoping I don't get hearing damage. But we haven't practiced it a while anyway.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 1 2013, 02:22 PM
Instructor
You can make yourself a special ear plugs for musicians. I don't know the worldwide pricing but it's usually worth much less than the ears health. In Poland it's something like 200$ per pair. Thery do not cut the freq range as much as traditional ear plugs and You can adjust the volume cut while ordering.

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Apr 1 2013, 02:28 PM
That would be really helpful! biggrin.gif

Thanks
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 1 2013, 08:15 AM) *
I will make up a little movie showcasing my ear monitoring gear and post it here, aye? smile.gif

Yeah, sometimes I've noticed my ears ringing a little bit when you go to the drums and he surprises you with some serious cymbal crashing, that just hurts my ears!

QUOTE (timrobwall @ Apr 1 2013, 02:48 PM) *
It is really important especially as you start to get older and start putting mileage on the ears. I seem to have reovered. But what was scary to me is how you can go from more or less normal hearing to problems in one gig. It can not only end your career as a musician but impact your entire life. Really, there is no need for the stage to be 1000 dbs - but that's another topic.

Check out http://www.hearnet.com/about/about_accomplishments.shtml

Never used in ear monitors. I don't put any buds of anykind in my ears anymore. I've heard that thy can be isolating. But advances are being made. http://www.mailermailer.com/x?function=vie...81563n-70a91387

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2013, 03:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Apr 1 2013, 01:28 PM) *
That would be really helpful! biggrin.gif

Thanks

Yeah, sometimes I've noticed my ears ringing a little bit when you go to the drums and he surprises you with some serious cymbal crashing, that just hurts my ears!

Hey mate, here ya go:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:43 PM