42 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
Jun 1 2016, 05:03 AM
GMC:er
Nice Jam!!! Is that strat scalloped? Is it an Yngwie model? I"ve always wanted to try one and I"ve yet to see one in the wild. It works great with you playing it on this backing for sure!! I fear I made it way to short this time as I was hoping your solo would go on since it was building up to something insane! It's a loopable backing as I"m going to try to make all of them so if you need more solo time, cut/paste the backing on one track in the daw and you can make them as long as you like smile.gif

On to the critique!!

What can I say other than freaking WOW. A variety of tones via pickup switching (which was time perfectly so as not to get in the way of the lead) is icing on the cake in the solo. I really dig the nice clean, long runs your doing here and how they combine with traditional blues chops. It's sorta the blues meets prog thing that you do really well. Almost like a Jazz guy but with a bit more aggression which is what makes it so cool smile.gif

It was PLENTY clean BTW smile.gif The purpose of our weekly shred fest is to allow you express yourself on a weekly basis, musically, and provide you with feedback and an audience of other players. It's a great place to swap licks from other folks and see how other players interpret a giving backing.

Lastly I LOVE how you threw in some Inversion licks as well as a couple of hammer/pull licks that we have done in our Video Chat series. They fit in perfectly. In short you FRIGGIN KILLED IT!! You've set a good bar here. Welcome to X3!! (even though it's the x4 challenge, the badges are done by how many you complete) Can't wait to hear who's next!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 31 2016, 08:55 PM) *
Ok, here is my mini-take. smile.gif Wish I played it a wee-bit cleaner. Look forward to hearing the other takes!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 1 2016, 05:25 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 1 2016, 05:49 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks! Really glad you liked it. smile.gif It is a YJM model. I've had it around a while (I think I grabbed it around 2005 used). I hope you get you hands on one to try out. I think you would really dig it.

In hindsight, I should've expanded this track! I kinda ended it abruptly and felt like it should continue.... especially with the open drum/bass part. Next time!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 1 2016, 04:03 AM) *
Nice Jam!!! Is that strat scalloped? Is it an Yngwie model? I"ve always wanted to try one and I"ve yet to see one in the wild. It works great with you playing it on this backing for sure!! I fear I made it way to short this time as I was hoping your solo would go on since it was building up to something insane! It's a loopable backing as I"m going to try to make all of them so if you need more solo time, cut/paste the backing on one track in the daw and you can make them as long as you like smile.gif

On to the critique!!

What can I say other than freaking WOW. A variety of tones via pickup switching (which was time perfectly so as not to get in the way of the lead) is icing on the cake in the solo. I really dig the nice clean, long runs your doing here and how they combine with traditional blues chops. It's sorta the blues meets prog thing that you do really well. Almost like a Jazz guy but with a bit more aggression which is what makes it so cool smile.gif

It was PLENTY clean BTW smile.gif The purpose of our weekly shred fest is to allow you express yourself on a weekly basis, musically, and provide you with feedback and an audience of other players. It's a great place to swap licks from other folks and see how other players interpret a giving backing.

Lastly I LOVE how you threw in some Inversion licks as well as a couple of hammer/pull licks that we have done in our Video Chat series. They fit in perfectly. In short you FRIGGIN KILLED IT!! You've set a good bar here. Welcome to X3!! (even though it's the x4 challenge, the badges are done by how many you complete) Can't wait to hear who's next!!

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 1 2016, 09:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Todd,

I have failed the challenge. I can't come up with anything at all for X3, well I can come up with plenty of wiggling but nothing that fits the track. Everything I come up is just too generic for that specific backing and I like my stuff to fit the feeling as best as possible and that track is pretty specific on the feeling front. I even tried mimicking the strings/synth to no avail so, I am not only the first entrant into the first ever Saturday Shred Fest Challenge (X1) I am also the first flop laugh.gif

I've had much hassle this week doing lengthy emails to PRS as you know so I've had hardly any time anyway, also I think it has affected my drive to come up with stuff, I'm feeling a little uninspired about guitar at the moment and my mom has to go into hospital on Friday for a fairly big operation (hip replacement and she's 78) so I will be visiting her when i would normally be practising so this weekend and into next week will be even more of an issue for practising. I'll try something for X4 tomorrow, it sounds a bit more like I can do something with that.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 1 2016, 10:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 1 2016, 01:55 AM) *
Ok, here is my mini-take. smile.gif Wish I played it a wee-bit cleaner. Look forward to hearing the other takes!

damn Joe, that was bad ass cool.gif awesome playing!

here's what Ive got for X4, wish I could have stole a few licks from Mr DeGroot though smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2016, 01:07 AM

Nice!! I like your single finger slide technique. It reminds me of George Lynches vibrato technique. I do notice you borrowing a couple of Degroot licks but that's perfectly fine smile.gif You play them well and they fit great. They are also licks from our video chat sessions so we have come full circle smile.gif

Also, my fave part was your use of dynamics during the bass/drum part. You backed off on the picking strength and got a very much more subtle tone just using your fingers. Then made it more intense by just picking harder when the guitars came back in. This is a very good use of dynamic picking to increase and decrease the tension in a solo. The dynamics (range between loudest and quietest note) is what gives solos much of their memorability. It's something that you usually see if players with 10 years of experience or more. You appear to have a great grasp of it. Well played smile.gif

In short. Welcome to X4!!!

Attached Image
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 1 2016, 05:41 PM) *
here's what Ive got for X4, wish I could have stole a few licks from Mr DeGroot though smile.gif

Chris, No worries. X3 was simply hard to solo over. I wanted to throw out a curve ball but I didn't realize it was a crazy curve ball from Mars. You are not the only one who had issues working with this track. It was pretty much most of the folks that tried it. I'll be a little less cruel in future tracks if I can at all help it!!

Best of luck to your Mom during her operation. I"ll be sending positive vibes/thoughts/prayers your way as I'm sure everyone at GMC will be smile.gif

I hope you get a chance to give x4 a shot. I"m sure it will RAWK!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 1 2016, 04:14 PM) *
Hello Todd,

I have failed the challenge. I can't come up with anything at all for X3, well I can come up with plenty of wiggling but nothing that fits the track. Everything I come up is just too generic for that specific backing and I like my stuff to fit the feeling as best as possible and that track is pretty specific on the feeling front. I even tried mimicking the strings/synth to no avail so, I am not only the first entrant into the first ever Saturday Shred Fest Challenge (X1) I am also the first flop laugh.gif

I've had much hassle this week doing lengthy emails to PRS as you know so I've had hardly any time anyway, also I think it has affected my drive to come up with stuff, I'm feeling a little uninspired about guitar at the moment and my mom has to go into hospital on Friday for a fairly big operation (hip replacement and she's 78) so I will be visiting her when i would normally be practising so this weekend and into next week will be even more of an issue for practising. I'll try something for X4 tomorrow, it sounds a bit more like I can do something with that.

Cheers buddy.

I hope I get to try one as well smile.gif Been wanting to for a looooong time!!! Yeah your solo got cut off by the short track a bit but it still worked and sounded cool smile.gif If at all possible, I'll try to make all of them loopable so you can get more distance if needed smile.gif
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 1 2016, 12:49 AM) *
Thanks! Really glad you liked it. smile.gif It is a YJM model. I've had it around a while (I think I grabbed it around 2005 used). I hope you get you hands on one to try out. I think you would really dig it.

In hindsight, I should've expanded this track! I kinda ended it abruptly and felt like it should continue.... especially with the open drum/bass part. Next time!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 2 2016, 01:08 AM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 2 2016, 02:29 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 1 2016, 09:41 PM) *

Thanks Scott. Of course, plenty of ideas I've lifted from around these parts. ph34r.gif Very solid playing on your take man! I get a strong 70's vibe off it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 2 2016, 07:17 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 2 2016, 01:07 AM) *
Chris, No worries. X3 was simply hard to solo over. I wanted to throw out a curve ball but I didn't realize it was a crazy curve ball from Mars. You are not the only one who had issues working with this track. It was pretty much most of the folks that tried it. I'll be a little less cruel in future tracks if I can at all help it!!

Best of luck to your Mom during her operation. I"ll be sending positive vibes/thoughts/prayers your way as I'm sure everyone at GMC will be smile.gif

I hope you get a chance to give x4 a shot. I"m sure it will RAWK!! smile.gif

Todd

Thanks Pete wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 2 2016, 03:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for that, Todd. I must admit I thought you had gone quite insane with this notion of a backing in major key, but I really enjoyed trying to play over it...... but dont tell anyone that cool.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 2 2016, 02:29 AM) *
I get a strong 70's vibe off it.

Awesome, thanks. my most favourite of all decades! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 2 2016, 07:17 AM) *
Thanks Pete wink.gif

made me LOL smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2016, 08:22 PM
Sorry about calling you "chris" there sad.gif Typing too fast and getting your handle mudged with someone else sad.gif

Pete signing off smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 2 2016, 02:17 AM) *
Thanks Pete wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 2 2016, 08:26 PM
No worries mate, just a bit of banter smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2016, 04:46 AM
LAST CHANCE FOR X4!!!! smile.gif You can submit a take all the way up to Saturday night. The next challenge will go up Saturday around our old chat time, e.g. 4pm est 8pm GMT. Going to make this next one a bit more easy to work with and hopefully get a few more folks inspired to solo! smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jun 4 2016, 07:52 AM
Learning Roadie
not really inspirated with this X4

show us the #5 !

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2016, 09:28 PM
!!!SAT SHRED FEST X5!!!!

Direct Link Here: http://bitly.com/saturdayshredfestx5

Onward!! X5 is in the key of E Minor. So any lick in E Blues/Minor should fit just fine smile.gif

SHRED FEST X5 VID

X5 DOWNLOAD MP3
Attached File  x5.mp3 ( 2.69MB ) Number of downloads: 131

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/saturday-shred-fest-x5-e-minor-night-time-birdsthe-gathering

This is NOT A COLLAB but something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to shred, it just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it so here is what I need.

1.)Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance.

That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

DETAILS:

Key: E Minor (E Minor and E Blues Scale will work great!)

Submit: Embed (not paste the link, ask me if you need any help) your youtube vid of you playing over the solo section.

Bask: in the glory of your brilliance!!!

BPM: 98 BPM

DUE DATE: Before Next Sat!!! (June 11, 2016)

SCALES TO USE: ( You can use ANY SCALES OR NOTES these are just reference)

E Minor
Attached Image

E Blues
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 4 2016, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 4 2016, 09:31 PM
Sorry Todd,

I had some ideas for the last one but as you know I've had a lot of personal stuff to deal with. I'll see what I can do with this one.

Thanks for everything buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2016, 09:57 PM
No worries smile.gif Looking forward to hearing your X5 take!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 4 2016, 04:31 PM) *
Sorry Todd,

I had some ideas for the last one but as you know I've had a lot of personal stuff to deal with. I'll see what I can do with this one.

Thanks for everything buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 4 2016, 10:44 PM
I might still post an x4 take but don't expect a badge wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2016, 04:13 AM
I' love to hear your x4 take whenever you can smile.gif I'm all ears! Don't forget about X5 though!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 4 2016, 05:44 PM) *
I might still post an x4 take but don't expect a badge wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 6 2016, 04:14 AM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jun 8 2016, 09:47 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my take about X5, some issue i have.... it really start at 0:28

cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jun 8 2016, 05:33 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2016, 05:07 AM
Impressive!! I dig your starting lick at :28 sec. It reminds me of something I'd play smile.gif Also, I realy dig how you went all Egyptian sounding toward the end. It fits perfectly with the backing and I'm stoked to see you interpreting these tracks in an original way. The best part of this for me is hearing things that I don't expect. Your technique is very solid from the 28 start point and your muting is spot on. I can see a TON of progress in your playing compared with when we first started in vid chat lessons. You have come a long way and now can improvise a solo over pretty much anything I throw at you. Super Congrats! That's something some folks never, ever quite get. It's a very important step imho in your journey as a musician. In short,

WELCOME TO X4!!! (Your fourth challenge vid)
Attached Image

Well done smile.gif I'm looking forward to your next solo!

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jun 8 2016, 04:47 AM) *
Hi Todd

This is my take about X5, some issue i have.... it really start at 0:28

cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jun 9 2016, 03:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

thanks for watching !

i'll try to do another (better) take

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:40 AM