Setup Guides
PosterBoy
Jul 26 2016, 08:18 AM
Learning Roadie
There's nothing worse than playing a guitar with issues, like buzzing strings etc

The luthier I trusted to refret my Telecaster has brought out Sketchy Setups one for Teles, one for Strats, one for Gibson based guitars and one for bass guitars to take you by the hand through the basics.

They are really well done and worth the small amount he's charging. I bought all four and will be working on my Tele this week (I changed string gauges a while back and didn't adjust anything)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
yoncopin
Jul 26 2016, 01:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 26 2016, 03:18 AM) *
There's nothing worse than playing a guitar with issues, like buzzing strings etc

The luthier I trusted to refret my Telecaster has brought out Sketchy Setups one for Teles, one for Strats, one for Gibson based guitars and one for bass guitars to take you by the hand through the basics.

They are really well done and worth the small amount he's charging. I bought all four and will be working on my Tele this week (I changed string gauges a while back and didn't adjust anything)

My setups took a huge leap when I finally bought the right tools. Which, I found out, are really pretty cheap. These three are essentials, I can setup a guitar in no time now.

1/64" Ruler
Notched Neck Straight Edge
Feeler Gauge
*Radius gauge

*only if you need individual saddle height adjustments

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Jul 26 2016, 01:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 26 2016, 02:34 PM
GMC:er
Cool, its handy to get an understanding of a guitar setup.

Years ago when I was going to college I had to go to a luthier I didn't know (though was very respected and still is) but the problem was we simply couldn't communicate with him on what I wanted.

I found this site and though took a while and some experimenting , really helped me; http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

The begining is the hardest and its really nice there are options now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 28 2016, 11:34 PM
GMC:er
A good setup really is KEY. Without it, your killer guitar can play and sound like pure crud. No matter how pricey the axe,
a poor setup can wreck it and your thoughts on the quality of the axe. I've played guitars worth a used car that played liked crap and played cheapy ibby guitars that played smooth as butter due to a good setup. Some folks that buy pricey guitars before they know much about guitars, sometimes leave them as they came from the shop.. Often this means without much setup. I've had students who fell in to this. I support the idea of buying a cheaper guitar for starters and some basic tools and learning to do your own setup even if you ruin the guitar and break the truss rod in the process. It's crucial to know how to setup your instruments. The setup will "drift" over time due to a variety of factors so being able to adjust it back in to shape is very handy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 31 2016, 02:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice share! Just wish there was one for Ibanez smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:33 PM