7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Which Recording Interface?
Phil66
Feb 28 2016, 09:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
OK,

Back from my micro holiday. Connected everything up, including mic; amp emulated out and GT-001.

I'm getting this noise. Guitar volume is right down. It's reaching about -25db

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/noise

As I've only used the GT-001 before I haven't heard anything like it. This is from input 1, the changes are when I wiggle the jack plug. Input 2 is the same but I haven't figured out how to get the signal into the DAW from anything other than input 1 yet and I didn't have to do anything for that, it just seems to automatically do input 1.

If I plug a guitar straight into the input it is perfect. I set the inputs to "instrument" but it does the same on "line".

Any ideas? I don't think it's the 18i8 to be honest but what do I know unsure.gif laugh.gif

Thanks for your help, again folks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 28 2016, 09:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 28 2016, 10:31 PM
GMC:er
The noise wasn't familiar to me, does it continue when you remove the jack?

also, could the guitar be picking any noise from a source near you? try moving the guitars body around where you sit to see if there is any change.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 28 2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks Mertay,

It stops when I remove the jack. The guitar volume was turned right down which would, I think, stop any interference from the pickups being sent to the GT-001 and into the 18i8.
The GT-001 had the Satriani patch running that I used for my recent REC take that has a couple of high gain amps running in the patch.
I hope I can sort this out as I'm not getting any practise done sad.gif

Tomorrow I think I'll plug the GT-001 into the front of the Peavey to see if it sounds the same.

Cheered buddy

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 28 2016, 11:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 28 2016, 11:29 PM
Ah ok, I forgot the gt001 smile.gif

By the way, did you try other connections like amp xlr out, guitar direct in and mic.ing the amp? then adding your pedal to the chain. Don't add the gt001 to the chain before these are tested as its the most complicated gear among them, with all the gear you have to be systematic when connecting them smile.gif

Check the input/output gains of the gt001 as it might be adjusted too high from the days it was used as the soundcard. Also try chaing from instrument to line input for the gt001 if its setted that way.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 28 2016, 11:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 29 2016, 12:49 AM
It will default to input 1 but you can change the input in your DAW smile.gif Have you tried running direct guitar to i8? And using a plugin like guitar rig or something? If you run direct without any thing in between it should be very quiet. Just to make sure there is nothing off with the i8.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 29 2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks folks,

Guitar straight in is perfect, line just makes it quieter but I have to turn the gain up to get decent levels so that ends up the same. I haven't tried anything else yet but will tonight.

I never messed with any input output settings on the GT-001 except for output level which is a physical knob on the unit, basically a volume. I did alter the mic preamp in the settings but that's not where this problem is.

I can see me going back to just using the GT001 at this rate sad.gif
The shop I had it from gives full refund for 14 days and exchange up to 30 days.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 29 2016, 09:39 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 29 2016, 10:08 AM
But why?

You already solved the windows issue which can happen with any interface (gt001 had its issues too), the direct in works (use inst. input anyway, it should give slightly better highs) and I'm sure using a mic. or the xlr out of the amp would work too...

To me in your rig, the gt001 now belongs to the fx loop of your amp primarily for modulation fx or alternatively plug it to the input using clean channel and the sounds you already use would sound sweeter cause of the tubes after a slight adjustment of the amp eq's.

Usually such noise problems are solved with a simple solution for the gt001, you just have to investigate. Also try a different jack, use a different power socket and move away the gt001 somewhere to see if its interfereing with anything...since everything else seems working, I'd suspect the gt001 for finding a solution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 29 2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks Mertay,
I guess I've just got the blues about it, which isn't like me, I'm the eternal optimist biggrin.gif
The thing is, I still need to use it without the amp at times, when I have little time and need to post a take for REC, and need to get a close tone or if it's late at night. I don't want to have to keep switching the source from Focusrite to GT.
I have a lot of figures to do for work tonight but I'll try and experiment a bit.
Cheers mate smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 29 2016, 11:48 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 29 2016, 09:13 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,
I guess I've just got the blues about it, which isn't like me, I'm the eternal optimist biggrin.gif
The thing is, I still need to use it without the amp at times, when I have little time and need to post a take for REC, and need to get a close tone or if it's late at night. I don't want to have to keep switching the source from Focusrite to GT.
I have a lot of figures to do for work tonight but I'll try and experiment a bit.
Cheers mate smile.gif

I understand, for a long while I used to work with and amp directly connected to the soundcard.

After a while once I setuped a tone, I didn't touch the amp much as I was happy with what was going on defoult. Like, if the backtrack was masking the guitar I increased the mid. knob to my liking and that was it.

Same thing for my pedals today (for amp and cab. I use software but main tone comes from pedals), Haven't changed a setting on my overdrive and distortion pedal for months now. Only tweak the booster pedal but that was usually for other pedals I borrow from friends to test them.

So with a flick of 1 or 2 switches, once the tone is set to a personal liking quickly you're ready to record at home almost as easy as using a processor like you have. I guess you're tired of the integration now (give it a break if needed) but once set it will be working for you for years smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 29 2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks Mertay,
I'll struggle to leave it though. I hate being beaten smile.gif got to keep on having one more try, one more thing smile.gif
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 29 2016, 12:12 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 29 2016, 08:13 PM
Ok,

I got home from work with a heavy schedule but couldn't leave this thing alone.

Here is the best I can get it.

What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/noise-0

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 29 2016, 08:58 PM
I don't hear anything? smile.gif

what did you do to decrease it? is the guitar sound also in good level?

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 29 2016, 09:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 29 2016, 09:42 PM
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I found out that when my splitter is plugged in to output to my Peavey and my GT-001 I get that interference.

My splitter is one of THESE

So I'll have to give up on the multiple inputs for the time being as I can't got direct to the amp AND the GT-001.

I guess I need to find out why the interference is happening, but at least I've found it smile.gif

I never thought something like a switchbox could cause that.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 29 2016, 11:12 PM
smile.gif

I checked the manual of the switcher, doesn't say much but keeps saying to use shielded cables. I guess it might be sensitive to sources that can cause noise around or connected to it, besides changing cables all I can think of is maybe its inside needs a cleaning sprey

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 29 2016, 11:21 PM
Thanks Mertay,
It's pretty new, I haven't really used it only when I was messing with two amp heads and one can and it worked without the battery. Now I have the battery in. I tried using it further away but it's not like it's picking up interference from "around" a device, only when I plug a cable from one of the outlets to the Peavey input. I'll email them tomorrow.
I am using shielded cables too smile.gif
Cheers buddy
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2016, 09:10 PM
OK, here's something interesting.

Listen to the difference between the two valve heads. Peavey Valveking 20MH and Vox Lil' Night Train, TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN FOR THE VOX.
I kept the same cables and everything, I had to turn down the gain on the 18i8 for the Vox to stop clipping.
So it's guitar into one of the inputs, output B to Vox head, output A to GT-001. If I pull the output to the Vox out, it goes quiet.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/noise-peavey

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/noise-vox

Additionally, here is a recording with the output to the Vox and me scrolling through about 19 patches. Now keep in mind, the output to the Vox (and the Peavey) is direct from the switch, so it should be guitar in>guitar out to head and, guitar in>guitar out to GT-001, these should effectively be separate outputs. It seems to me that the signal from the GT-001 is actually being fed back to the switch and into the other output of the switch. Very very weird to my mind but some electronics guru may think it's obvious why.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/noise-vox-various-patches

I can't do anything about this pedal as I've had it beyond the returns limit so can anyone recommend a good splitter? At least then I can send it back immediately if it gives me hassle.

Cheers folks, I have some odd things happen here in the Twilight Zone eh? blink.gif unsure.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2016, 09:39 PM
The splitter may be creating an "impedance mis match" (long word for resulting in extra noise) so getting a better splitter may help. the gt001 has stereo out, can you set half the signal to be just plain non fx signal? That way you could send the right half to your amp or what not. Can you turn off everything right/vs left? if so, feeding the i8 from the fx on left out and feeding the amp with dry from right out would let you use the gt001 as the splitter smile.gif

If not, have you looked at the BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100 its about $40. One xlr goes to the i8 and one guitar jack goes to your guitar rig. it's got speaker emulation if you want it but can be turned off. You can just leave it in the chain if you like smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2016, 09:54 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 1 2016, 08:39 PM) *
The splitter may be creating an "impedance mis match" (long word for resulting in extra noise) so getting a better splitter may help. the gt001 has stereo out, can you set half the signal to be just plain non fx signal? That way you could send the right half to your amp or what not. Can you turn off everything right/vs left? if so, feeding the i8 from the fx on left out and feeding the amp with dry from right out would let you use the gt001 as the splitter smile.gif

Todd

wacko.gif wacko.gif confused.com wacko.gif wacko.gif

Thanks Todd, I'll try to work that one out. Need to get some practise in though or else Gab will have me in detention huh.gif

Update:
Now for some reason I'm getting only sound from my guitar, no PC sounds/youtube etc. This is confusing me blink.gif

Update:
Managed to get all sound from left channel only mad.gif

Update:
Sorted it. Don't know how it got changed to start with but the output to the monitors has to be set at DAW1 (L) and DAW2® which seems odd as I don't have my DAW running. I guess it's me not understanding the terminology rolleyes.gif

Cheers buddy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 1 2016, 10:31 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 1 2016, 10:47 PM
Chech this out; http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behr...-a-kind-DI-Dire

I've had this for 10 years now (bought used) and thought it was discontiuned till now. But haven't used it for atleast 2 years biggrin.gif

it can split the signal to 3 outputs. I clearly remember once did what you're trying to do; 1 channel direct guitar to daw, 2 processor to DAW. I only had 2 channel soundcard at home at the time but it worked noiseless enough as far as I remember, don't expect miracles though as its a budget di box and you'll need xlr-to-line cables.

Radial is the king for this kind of stuff, why not e-mail them briefly explain what you need as not everything they have is too expensive; http://www.radialeng.com/index.php

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 1 2016, 10:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 2 2016, 02:40 AM
Nice! I didn't know that unit could connect channels but if it can it would be perfect! once to amp, one to i8 and one to spare or use as stereo.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 1 2016, 04:47 PM) *
Chech this out; http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behr...-a-kind-DI-Dire

I've had this for 10 years now (bought used) and thought it was discontiuned till now. But haven't used it for atleast 2 years biggrin.gif

it can split the signal to 3 outputs. I clearly remember once did what you're trying to do; 1 channel direct guitar to daw, 2 processor to DAW. I only had 2 channel soundcard at home at the time but it worked noiseless enough as far as I remember, don't expect miracles though as its a budget di box and you'll need xlr-to-line cables.

Radial is the king for this kind of stuff, why not e-mail them briefly explain what you need as not everything they have is too expensive; http://www.radialeng.com/index.php

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:35 AM