2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Will Switching From 9's To 10's Affect My Guitar In A Negative Way? (please Read First =)
Lucky777s
Apr 1 2010, 05:29 AM
GMC:er
My guitar Schecter C-1 Hellraiser came to me with 10 gauge strings on them. this was around November, i didn't know i was going to get this guitar and the previous guitar i played on had 9's. I really enjoyed the feel of the 10's and didn't feel that they were a problem, however the time came to change them and i had already had 3 sets of 9's so i put 9's on them. those sets have gone and now intend to put 10's back on them. will this affect the intonation of my guitar? i have noticed that my intonation at the 12th and 24th frets is a little sharp since i have made the change to 9's. but i broke the little e string once and put a spare 10 that i had lying around on it (because i didn't have any other) and it has perfect intonation. Any help is very appreciated = ) thank you in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Apr 1 2010, 06:13 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello, I have the same guitar and I've used the 9's as well as the 10's... Now i stick to 10's. It's all good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 1 2010, 06:21 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I am loving 10s too. smile.gif Its just so warm. 9's sucks... biggrin.gif.. maybe for metal head bangers who wants sharp ear piercing tones. wink.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Lucky777s
Apr 1 2010, 07:12 AM
thx guys and even though its just the little e its so much better feeling and sounding. the intonation is perfect and there is no buzzing (the others buzz a little) i truly regret putting on the 9's =/. but will it affect my guitar?

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 1 2010, 07:32 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
you might need to adjust the neck/ floyd rose again because 10s seems to pull the Floyd rose if you have one.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 1 2010, 07:47 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In my opinion the 10s are definitely better, they will give you a fuller tone, but yes, you might have to check on the intonation, changing the gauge of your strings will allways affect this, you also might have to adjust the string action, but don't let this stop you from using those strings wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Lucky777s
Apr 2 2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys. Just put on some 10 gauge GHS boomers and loving them biggrin.gif . so far there is no intonation problem but will keep checking for the next 2 weeks or so.

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 2 2010, 08:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
String guage is subjective mate, if you prefer 10's (Clearly you do!) then fine, but theres pleanty of players who get good tone with nine or even eight guage strings!
Cant see why you would ave intonation issues, unless you mean that you havent adjusted the intonation for the nines? I use 10's on everything but a guage change usually means a sew set up.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Apr 2 2010, 11:06 AM
Learning Roadie
Changing string gauge will not affect intonation, you will need to adjust the springs if you have a Floyd though obviously because there will be less tension. I use hybrid strings that way I get the best of both worlds. smile.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 2 2010, 11:27 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Sometimes intonation and neck/bridge adjustments are needed when you change string gauge. 10s sound great, you should not have any problems with them...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Apr 2 2010, 11:27 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 2 2010, 11:36 PM
Instructor
Usually it is good to do a full setup when you switch the gauge of strings, this way you will be sure that the guitar is properly tuned for use.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Apr 4 2010, 01:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Do .10's really give that much more tone than .09's? Seems like quite a small difference.

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 4 2010, 11:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
The diffrence is hughe if you play on gear that is very responsive!
On a cheapo guitar through a modeling amp it won't make a big diffrence but I recently played an ESP Eclipse through a Peavey Tube Halfstack at a store in drop d tuning with 9s on and I snapped the a string. The salesman put on a new set of 10s and the increased string tension made the riffs much more tighter and solos sustained longer!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Apr 4 2010, 11:08 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
fused
Apr 4 2010, 02:40 PM
String gauge does seem to make a difference.
I have one guitar with 10s...and two with 7s.... One with 13s and one with 11s... Sounds like lyrics to a song LOL...
They are all good. Each has its own personality. Each has its purpose in the musical palette.

If setup properly, string gauge does not = buzz or no buzz. Sure you can make some buzz stop by going to fatter strings. But if you had it setup correctly for the thinner strings it would not buzz.

As for tone, they all have a different tone. None are bad. Even the 7s kick it out there. Its all in how you use it;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Apr 4 2010, 02:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 4 2010, 11:08 AM) *
The diffrence is hughe if you play on gear that is very responsive!
On a cheapo guitar through a modeling amp it won't make a big diffrence but I recently played an ESP Eclipse through a Peavey Tube Halfstack at a store in drop d tuning with 9s on and I snapped the a string. The salesman put on a new set of 10s and the increased string tension made the riffs much more tighter and solos sustained longer!

I noticed this too. I usually use Ernie Ball 9-46 hybrid. Once I put 0.10 that was like a whole different world. True that on modeling amps it doesn't really make much difference but on a real gear will do for sure.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
antonskv
Apr 5 2010, 03:02 PM
I myself use hybrid string sets on both of my guitars:
0.18 (wound)

I like to use wound G string instead of plain one.

So treble strings are from 0.11s set, and bass strings are from 0.10s set.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Apr 5 2010, 03:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (fused @ Apr 4 2010, 09:40 AM) *
String gauge does seem to make a difference.
I have one guitar with 10s...and two with 7s.... One with 13s and one with 11s... Sounds like lyrics to a song LOL...
They are all good. Each has its own personality. Each has its purpose in the musical palette.

If setup properly, string gauge does not = buzz or no buzz. Sure you can make some buzz stop by going to fatter strings. But if you had it setup correctly for the thinner strings it would not buzz.

As for tone, they all have a different tone. None are bad. Even the 7s kick it out there. Its all in how you use it;

Wow...I have never even heard of .07's! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 5 2010, 03:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Apr 5 2010, 04:05 PM) *
Wow...I have never even heard of .07's! ohmy.gif

Me too!
I get a cold sweat just thinking about having to play on 08 strings but 07?!?! That's just painfully thin!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
antonskv
Apr 5 2010, 05:35 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 5 2010, 10:19 AM) *
Me too!
I get a cold sweat just thinking about having to play on 08 strings but 07?!?! That's just painfully thin!

Probably would make a nice trip wire for military explosives...... Cause i doubt you can even see 0.07s except really close with a magnifying glass.... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Apr 5 2010, 05:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
My Taco Stratocaster has 9's but for SOME reason it is harder to bend than other strats with 10s. Any ideas ? sad.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 PM