2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Alex Lifeson Style Lesson
dogman
Oct 4 2007, 03:17 AM
GMC:er
Hey bud,
I have enjoyed all your stuff so far but would love to see a lesson on early/middle Lifeson. Maybe something like live Lakeside Park off of All the World's a stage, 2112 or Hemispheres. In my opinion he is probably one of the most under rated guitarists out there.

There are so many different things and styles that Alex does yet you can always tell it's him.

Thanks again...Paul

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Delusions of Gra...
Oct 4 2007, 03:29 AM
I agree...this would be a realy cool lesson if someone where to do it....would love to see it on here..... D.O.G.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gibson Les Paul Studio , Wine Red

Line 6 Spider III 75 Combo Amp

A dieing DigiTech RP200

Ibanez Accoustic Artwood AW100CE

Marshall MG15CDR.....

Vox 15w Amp

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Oct 4 2007, 04:18 AM
QUOTE (dogman @ Oct 4 2007, 03:17 AM) *
Hey bud,
I have enjoyed all your stuff so far but would love to see a lesson on early/middle Lifeson. Maybe something like live Lakeside Park off of All the World's a stage, 2112 or Hemispheres. In my opinion he is probably one of the most under rated guitarists out there.

There are so many different things and styles that Alex does yet you can always tell it's him.

Thanks again...Paul

Paul, I think you and I had a conversation on this a while back. I agree a Lifeson-inspired lesson would be great. Odd time signatures and some trademark suspended chords are a must!

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 4 2007, 05:30 AM
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Oct 3 2007, 11:18 PM) *
Paul, I think you and I had a conversation on this a while back. I agree a Lifeson-inspired lesson would be great. Odd time signatures and some trademark suspended chords are a must!

Yes we did. I think Muris will hook us up....I hope unsure.gif laugh.gif

There is so much Lifeson does it would be hard to pick just one style as every album from the first one up to Grace Under Pressure has a totally different sound and style of playing yet very Lifeson.

Maybe Muris can give us some weekly Lifeson bits starting with the old days to present That would be cool... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 4 2007, 08:01 AM
Instructor
Ok,I see where is this up to laugh.gif
Just pick the album and tune from it,I'll make lesson inspired from it,ok? wink.gif
No RUSH tho laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Oct 4 2007, 08:38 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 4 2007, 08:01 AM) *
Just pick the album and tune from it,I'll make lesson inspired from it,ok? wink.gif
No RUSH tho laugh.gif

Subdivisions (Signals) and Tom Sawyer (Moving Pictures)

This post has been edited by SDMF75: Oct 4 2007, 10:11 AM

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 4 2007, 10:34 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 4 2007, 03:01 AM) *
No RUSH tho laugh.gif

You are the man Muris laugh.gif laugh.gif

How about starting with The Necromancer parts (II) Under the Shadow or (III) Return of the Prince from Caress of Steel.

The Return of the Prince is probably the best ending written for a song ever. Very Tasty.

It's alot easier than most of his stuff and is a great introduction to Alex Lifeson.

I'll let Resurrection pick the tough stuff from Hemispheres.. tongue.gif

There are so many I want them all... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by dogman: Oct 4 2007, 10:58 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 4 2007, 05:45 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
BTW guys,
just in case you've not come across this. Might be worth a look if you are after specific songs.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 4 2007, 05:50 PM
Instructor
Great link Tony,thanks! smile.gif
Perhaps you guys wanna learn specific songs by Rush?
If you still wanna lesson in style of,I'm here tho wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 4 2007, 07:50 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 4 2007, 12:50 PM) *
Great link Tony,thanks! smile.gif
Perhaps you guys wanna learn specific songs by Rush?
If you still wanna lesson in style of,I'm here tho wink.gif

That is an awsome tab link but I'm still up for the lessons.

The Necromancer (II) & (III) wink.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 4 2007, 09:22 PM
Instructor
Consider it done cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 4 2007, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 4 2007, 04:22 PM) *
Consider it done cool.gif

Whahoo laugh.gif

The Man.....

Thank you buddy. Cant wait

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Oct 5 2007, 04:13 AM
QUOTE (dogman @ Oct 4 2007, 10:34 AM) *
You are the man Muris laugh.gif laugh.gif

How about starting with The Necromancer parts (II) Under the Shadow or (III) Return of the Prince from Caress of Steel.

The Return of the Prince is probably the best ending written for a song ever. Very Tasty.

It's alot easier than most of his stuff and is a great introduction to Alex Lifeson.

I'll let Resurrection pick the tough stuff from Hemispheres.. tongue.gif

There are so many I want them all... laugh.gif

Something from "Hemispheres".....hmmm.

What about a short lesson incorporating some of the different moods in "La Villa Strangiato"? Alternatively, I've always liked part 5 (Cygnus - Bringer of Balance) of the "Hemispheres" track.

From other posts, it looks like the lesson might be going more in a "Caress of Steel" direction, which is still fine with me smile.gif Altogether now, "Three men from Willowdale..."

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 5 2007, 08:58 AM
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Oct 4 2007, 11:13 PM) *
Something from "Hemispheres".....hmmm.

What about a short lesson incorporating some of the different moods in "La Villa Strangiato"? Alternatively, I've always liked part 5 (Cygnus - Bringer of Balance) of the "Hemispheres" track.

From other posts, it looks like the lesson might be going more in a "Caress of Steel" direction, which is still fine with me smile.gif Altogether now, "Three men from Willowdale..."

"As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travelers, men of Willow Dale, emerge from the forest shadow Fording the River Dawn, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer......

We can graduate from the basic to the technical Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves stuff...lol

(II) Apollo/Dionysus is my favorite part from Hemispheres. La Villa is a great mood swinging saga and a serious live piece from Exit Stage Left... wink.gif

It doesnt matter to me what the lessons turn out to be as long as it's Lifeson cool.gif

I think a start from the beginning will spurn a cult following to have lessons through album progressions a'la Fly By Night, 2112, Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures ect.....
Wishfull thinking huh...

This post has been edited by dogman: Oct 5 2007, 09:19 AM

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 27 2007, 02:43 AM
Hey Muris,
How is the Lifeson lesson coming along.

My fingers are itching... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by dogman: Oct 27 2007, 02:43 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2007, 02:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dogman @ Oct 27 2007, 03:43 AM) *
Hey Muris,
How is the Lifeson lesson coming along.

My fingers are itching... laugh.gif

Ahh,sorry for waiting!
Have some earlier In Style Of and beginner requests to accomplish first.
Will be there,no worries!! wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 27 2007, 04:26 AM
No stress my friend. Just checking. There's plenty here to keep me busy till then smile.gif

+Quote Post
Erik Johnson
Nov 3 2007, 02:02 AM
Ohhh my gosh. I can't wait until this lesson. (Not as in get it done faster, just excited now that I know it might happen.)

Alex Lifeson is one of my heroes!

This post has been edited by Erik Johnson: Nov 3 2007, 02:03 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl)
...you will have taken your very first steps towards Johnson land...

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Modified), Yamaha Pacifica (Black; modified with different humbuckers and a few other things)

Equipment: Vox DA5 Digital Amp (It's a little weak, but fun nonetheless), Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Wishlist: An Ibanez RG Model, and a yummy Pavel and Andrew Cockburn JEM.. Mmmm. I'd also love a Marshall Stack. That'd be awesome. :D

+Quote Post
dogman
Feb 5 2008, 12:21 AM
Hey there bud,

Just me being a pain again.
I was wondering how the Lifeson lesson was coming and if we were gonna get one...
Thanks again wink.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 5 2008, 12:22 AM
Instructor
Working on it,no worries.
Just wanna make sure that I hit right spot. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd April 2024 - 02:59 PM