Going To Buy A New Amp, But Which One?, $1500 AU is my limit
Hemlok
May 26 2007, 04:24 AM
GMC:er
Im going to be buying a new amp in about 3 weeks, im looking to spend under $1500 and hopefully get myself a decent amp that i wont need to upgrade for a long time. Blues and Metal are what i will be mostly playing, my guitar i have now is a Jackson Warrior, but i will have a Gibson Les Paul Standard in 3 weeks smile.gif

I was originally thinking Line 6 Spider III, but i hear lots people saying it sounds too digital and the presets are a bit crappy, i already own a Boss GT-6 FX Processor which gives me all the effects i need, so i guess i should go for a quality amp without paying for all the extras. Marshall amps, i dont know too much about the diff types, but if you guys have any suggestions i will jot em down and test them out biggrin.gif will save me testing every amp in store as i dont have time for that

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: May 26 2007, 04:35 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Andrew Cockburn
May 26 2007, 01:50 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hemlok @ May 25 2007, 11:24 PM) *
Im going to be buying a new amp in about 3 weeks, im looking to spend under $1500 and hopefully get myself a decent amp that i wont need to upgrade for a long time. Blues and Metal are what i will be mostly playing, my guitar i have now is a Jackson Warrior, but i will have a Gibson Les Paul Standard in 3 weeks smile.gif

I was originally thinking Line 6 Spider III, but i hear lots people saying it sounds too digital and the presets are a bit crappy, i already own a Boss GT-6 FX Processor which gives me all the effects i need, so i guess i should go for a quality amp without paying for all the extras. Marshall amps, i dont know too much about the diff types, but if you guys have any suggestions i will jot em down and test them out biggrin.gif will save me testing every amp in store as i dont have time for that

Line6 stuff is great if you buy into the digital thing (I do) - don't dismiss it without trying it, the versatility of these amps is amazing. If YOU listen to it and think it sounds crappy and digital, fair enough, but make it YOUR choice. I have the Line6 PodXTL and it has a lot of the same innards as the Line 6 amps - I think it rocks.

I would say make a short list of 2 - 3 amps (including the Spider if you still think its a good buy) then try them all.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
May 26 2007, 01:56 PM
Hmmmm, yes i have been thinking of a few diff amps to test, i might also look into what the PodXTL actually is. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 26 2007, 02:11 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ May 26 2007, 08:56 AM) *
Hmmmm, yes i have been thinking of a few diff amps to test, i might also look into what the PodXTL actually is. smile.gif

LOL - its an all in one effects processor that includes about the best amp modelling software out there - it also doubles as a high quality recording interface. To get the best out if it live you need to feed it through a clean AMP like a keyboard amp or PA, NOT a guitar amp (as it already does all the modelling for you so you don't need an AMP to add character). Its also awesome for practice as it sounds amazing through headphones.

The whole Line 6 / Digital thing seems to polarise people. Some love it, some hate it. I honestly don't know if the modelling is as good as the real thing as I don't have a valve Amp, which is why I say its a great alternative, but you have to make the final choice, as anyone advising for or against it is likely biased, and at the end, you are the one that needs to be happy with it not them.

FWIW, having been on this forum for a while and after several threads with MikeM, I have decided I want to own both - eventually I'll get a monster tube amp and rack of analogue pedals so that I can pick and choose what I use where.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
May 26 2007, 02:30 PM
well POD xtlive looks pretty darn cool, but i think that will be something i will get later down the track, im getting my dream guitar soon, and it has been in many of my dreams lately hehe, well they are more like nightmares, with happy endings of me owning a les paul std.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 26 2007, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ May 26 2007, 09:30 AM) *
well POD xtlive looks pretty darn cool, but i think that will be something i will get later down the track, im getting my dream guitar soon, and it has been in many of my dreams lately hehe, well they are more like nightmares, with happy endings of me owning a les paul std.

LOL - sweet guitar - hope you enjoy it smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
May 26 2007, 02:58 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hey Hemlock-thats a good amount of cash.

I highly reccomend the 'Fuchs' amps. Just bought a lucky 7 and its fantastic, but for that amoun t of cash you could go higher i think.

Heres the website:

www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com

Im not sure they are that 'metal' but they have incredible tone and are all valve.

Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: May 26 2007, 02:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
May 26 2007, 03:01 PM
QUOTE (benhowell @ May 26 2007, 11:58 PM) *
Hey Hemlock-thats a good amount of cash.

I highly reccomend the 'Fuchs' amps. Just bought a lucky 7 and its fantastic, but for that amoun t of cash you could go higher i think.

Heres the website:

www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com
Im not sure they are that 'metal' but they have incredible tone and are all valve.

Ben

Thanks for the tip Ben,

I hope you dont pronounce that how im reading it, i have never heard of 'Fuchs' amps before tongue.gif checking out the site now smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
May 26 2007, 06:27 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
QUOTE (Hemlok @ May 26 2007, 03:01 PM) *
Thanks for the tip Ben,

I hope you dont pronounce that how im reading it, i have never heard of 'Fuchs' amps before tongue.gif checking out the site now smile.gif

Haha, im a bit miffed on how to pronounce it too!

Anyway, let me know what you think smile.gif

Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
DranoMax
May 26 2007, 06:42 PM
From: I'm not telling! But it is in the US. In Utah. Near Cedar City.
It just so happens, that I bought the Line6 Spider III 120 a couple weeks ago...and.... I completley recommend it! I was floored by all the tone I could get out of it. There's nothing in any other amp that I couldn't get out of this one, and the best part is it doesn't sound very digital at all. All of the effects are very well done, especially delay and the reverb, which I use the most. Overall, I would buy this amp again over anything else! I hope this helps.

--------------------
People make mistakes, that's why guns have bullets.

+Quote Post
Tmas
May 26 2007, 07:04 PM
oh cool i didnt know i could actually post without a membership tongue.gif lol. Dont worry i'm going to resubscribe soon. I dont know about those line 6 amps but if I had that kinda cash i would buy this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox...ombo?sku=482620

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?

+Quote Post
Underworld of Fa...
May 27 2007, 12:14 AM

Hey Hemlok,

A sales guy at a local music store in Montreal had told me that he loved the Line 6 Spider III 120 so much that he couldn't stop playing with it after store hours. I bought my little son the 15 watts version this past Christmas and it sounds great. I could imagine how the big brother would sound like. Just go try it and decide only then. It is WELL worth it. Soooo much more flexible. If I would ever need to buy an amp, that would be it (well, maybe the 150 Watts version) cool.gif.

Jacques

--------------------
My equipment: Line 6 705 Variax Sunburst 5 string bass, Fender Squire Strat Standard Candy Apple Red with Maple neck, Fender Squire Strat Affinity Green with Rosewood neck that looks like shit but is awesome to play with, Yamaha 12 string GTR that sounds great, Line 6 Toneport KB37, Line 6 Gearbox plug-in, Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010, Tama drum set, Roland U-20 (use as a controller), Yamaha Promix-01, Tannoy studio monitors, Alesis Matica 500 studio power amp, Behringer B2-PRO studio mic, DBX 266 compressor, Alesis D4 drum module, Nuendo, Waves plug-ins, Reason 3...

Future plan purchases: Line 6 Variax 600 maple neck, Line 6 Powerpack add-on, Line 6 Triple Pack add-on, Electronic drum set, Toontrack Superior 2 (drums plug-in - coming out soon).

+Quote Post
Hemlok
May 27 2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, i will certainly be trying out the Line6, but i have a few more amps written down now to try out too smile.gif

@benhowell: had a listen to some Fuchs and they sound great, so that might definately be an option smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Underworld of Fa...
May 27 2007, 01:18 AM

Hemlok,

Just went back to the Line 6 web site and checked out the Spider III 120. I noticed it's got only 12 amps tho (only, hahaha...) but if you have $1500 to spend, it would be a MUCH wiser choice of going with the Vetta II amps instead. These amps are killers and they give you 70 amps plus a whole bunch of effects that you can edit 'til you drop dead wink.gif . These amps also give you the choice of stacking 2 amps on top of each other to make any custom amplifier, it's basically unlimited. Wow, I would probably go that route if I was you smile.gif . Check out their web site. Hope that helps.

Jacques

--------------------
My equipment: Line 6 705 Variax Sunburst 5 string bass, Fender Squire Strat Standard Candy Apple Red with Maple neck, Fender Squire Strat Affinity Green with Rosewood neck that looks like shit but is awesome to play with, Yamaha 12 string GTR that sounds great, Line 6 Toneport KB37, Line 6 Gearbox plug-in, Behringer MIDI Foot Controller FCB1010, Tama drum set, Roland U-20 (use as a controller), Yamaha Promix-01, Tannoy studio monitors, Alesis Matica 500 studio power amp, Behringer B2-PRO studio mic, DBX 266 compressor, Alesis D4 drum module, Nuendo, Waves plug-ins, Reason 3...

Future plan purchases: Line 6 Variax 600 maple neck, Line 6 Powerpack add-on, Line 6 Triple Pack add-on, Electronic drum set, Toontrack Superior 2 (drums plug-in - coming out soon).

+Quote Post
Hemlok
May 27 2007, 01:59 AM
Vetta II is looking very appealing, you can download custom tones to it? i think thats what im reading. Not sure if i would need a stack, a combo would prob suit me fine

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
May 27 2007, 02:19 AM
oh too bad in australia the vetta II is about $3000 :S

Might have to go with spider III at this stage

This post has been edited by Hemlok: May 27 2007, 02:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
May 27 2007, 03:25 AM
I myself am a Mesa/Boogie fan, but they cost alot. But you could find something in that price range. I'm saving up for 2 trip rect solo heads and 4 4x12 cabs.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
May 27 2007, 03:38 AM
Mesa/Boogie are my dream amps, i havnt really seen ones i can afford, but i havnt looked too hard

--------------------

+Quote Post
Underworld of Fa...
May 27 2007, 03:52 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ May 26 2007, 09:19 PM) *
oh too bad in australia the vetta II is about $3000 :S

Might have to go with spider III at this stage

$3000? Ouch! I was looking on ebay yesterday and you can get good deals on used ones. The combo is the same as the stack but lighter. Yeah, I would probably opted for the combo too smile.gif .

Jacques

--------------------

+Quote Post
Underworld of Fa...
May 27 2007, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ May 26 2007, 08:59 PM) *
Vetta II is looking very appealing, you can download custom tones to it? i think thats what im reading. Not sure if i would need a stack, a combo would prob suit me fine

Oh yeah, you can download a bunch of custom tones from Line 6 or other users like I'm doing with my Toneport. There are over 21 000 tones for the Vetta II combo available right now! Check it out at http://line6.com/customtone/. The other thing I like about this is they updated the Vetta and added a few amps, effects and some other useful stuff to it. It's cool that they can do that so you're not limited to what you have already. Check the samples of that free update: http://www.line6.com/vettaii/version25.html. I love that Bender effect.

God, sounds like I work for them (but I promise I'm not laugh.gif ).

Jacques

This post has been edited by Underworld of Fantasy: May 27 2007, 05:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:31 PM