4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Pickup Replacement
Jesse
Aug 2 2009, 03:32 PM
GMC:er
just listen to satch

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 2 2009, 04:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have a PAF JOE and just like I said Joe Satriani used to play Paf Pro's until DiMarzio offered him to design his own signature pickups but mr.Satriani was happy with his Paf Pros so all he did was taking a Paf Pro neck and give it a tiny bit more output so that the DiMarzio can say it's a diffrent pickup^^

A paf joe is a slightly hotter paf pro so it works great as a match for a high output bridge pickup!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 2 2009, 04:40 PM
I was gonna say to save some bucks (insert local monetary unit here) go Ebay, but you already have. This next weekend I will be dropping a Ebay Jazz/JB set into a mohogany strat like git. It's a hardtail tho. I'd be glad to record something for you if you like. If your ears can take my licks that is... tongue.gif

Also, Stewart-MacDonald has some good info on wiring, how tone and volume pots work etc. Might help you find your way if you get off track. cool.gif

This post has been edited by Toroso: Aug 2 2009, 04:42 PM

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Aug 2 2009, 04:43 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I tried soldering once.......once....... tongue.gif laugh.gif Only thing I try to fix now is teeth...... laugh.gif laugh.gif Good luck Kaz.....\m/\m/

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 3 2009, 04:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
-Please read the last post here:
http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=77013
(more info: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/product_news...o/index_e.html )://http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/produ.../index_e.html )
Is that important for me? I have the True Duo, this guys says that swapping the PU won't give the same splitted result...

-I just read on the Seymour Duncan site that often a bright sounding guitar is matched with a warm sounding pickups, for evening it all out. Now SD also says that Mahogany is often used for warm sounds. Now my Ibanez is Mahogany, but isn't it a bright sounding guitar? That'd mean I can better take a bit of a warmer sounding pickup, like SH-5, is that correct??

- Do F-spaced humbuckers (trembuckers and such) always have three mounting holes, and normal ones only one?

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 3 2009, 05:02 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 3 2009, 08:47 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 3 2009, 11:50 AM) *
-Please read the last post here:
http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=77013
(more info: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/product_news...o/index_e.html )://http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/produ.../index_e.html )://http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/produ.../index_e.html )
Is that important for me? I have the True Duo, this guys says that swapping the PU won't give the same splitted result...

-I just read on the Seymour Duncan site that often a bright sounding guitar is matched with a warm sounding pickups, for evening it all out. Now SD also says that Mahogany is often used for warm sounds. Now my Ibanez is Mahogany, but isn't it a bright sounding guitar? That'd mean I can better take a bit of a warmer sounding pickup, like SH-5, is that correct??

- Do F-spaced humbuckers (trembuckers and such) always have three mounting holes, and normal ones only one?

The value of your tone pot has some to do with it as well. 500K pot allows more highs to pass so sounds brighter than a 250K pot.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 3 2009, 09:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have read a bit about the true-duo pickup - It's not a very good sounding pickup but it is built in a special way, it is a full blown humbucker and an additional single coil in one pickup!

So you basicly don't split the two coils of you humbucker into one coil, you switch to the single coil on the true duo. A real singlecoil will sound better than one of the coils of a humbucker alone (remind that the coils are meant to work together and not as alone hence the sound quality). You can't expect a splitted humbucker to sound as good as a real singlecoil pickup but it will still sound good enough imho!

Mahagony is a warm and deep sounding wood, not really bright but on the other hand your Ibanez is a really thin guitar so there isn't a lot of bodywood (compared to a les paul for example). Also you guitar's sound is also composed by other parts like neck and fretboard wood (bright neck and warm fretboard in your case), the bridge system (tremolo tend to give a more trebly sound) and last but not least the humbucker already in there might
sound bright!

It is all up to you, do you think your guitar is too bright? to you need more or less treble, bass, mids, gain, attack?

Oh and the three mounting holes are there so that it will fit in ANY guitar because sometimes the pickup cavities varie from guitar to guitar...

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 4 2009, 06:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 3 2009, 10:08 PM) *
I have read a bit about the true-duo pickup - It's not a very good sounding pickup but it is built in a special way, it is a full blown humbucker and an additional single coil in one pickup!

So you basicly don't split the two coils of you humbucker into one coil, you switch to the single coil on the true duo. A real singlecoil will sound better than one of the coils of a humbucker alone (remind that the coils are meant to work together and not as alone hence the sound quality). You can't expect a splitted humbucker to sound as good as a real singlecoil pickup but it will still sound good enough imho!

Mahagony is a warm and deep sounding wood, not really bright but on the other hand your Ibanez is a really thin guitar so there isn't a lot of bodywood (compared to a les paul for example). Also you guitar's sound is also composed by other parts like neck and fretboard wood (bright neck and warm fretboard in your case), the bridge system (tremolo tend to give a more trebly sound) and last but not least the humbucker already in there might
sound bright!

It is all up to you, do you think your guitar is too bright? to you need more or less treble, bass, mids, gain, attack?

Oh and the three mounting holes are there so that it will fit in ANY guitar because sometimes the pickup cavities varie from guitar to guitar...

Thanks man! I want a bit of a fuller sound, warmer that is tongue.gif Also a bit more attack i think. When I play Satch's always with you, always with me, I can't seem to get the sqeaky sound he gets. Do you get more attack from hotter pickups?

About the true duo, do you mean If i buy a trembucker (for instance) It'll still split, just wouldn't sound as "singley" as with the true duo system?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 4 2009, 08:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yep, Humbuckers aren't really meant to be spluitted, they are meant to be humbuckers but they will still sound decent splitted...

I rather have a great humbucker with decent coil split than a decen humbucker with good coil split!

You get more attack from hotter pickups and you fet more attack from ceramic magnets.The sh-5 will have more attack (being a ceramic pickup) but the Sh-4 is a very hot Alnico-pickup so there is also plenty of chunky-ness with the JB...
There is no need to worry about output or attack from these pickups, Exodus play thrash metal with the sh-5 and Arch Enemy play death Metal with the sh-4; that's how versatile they are!

I guess both pickups will work for what you want, they cover your styles and are very versatile - It's more of preferance question which one you will like better but since you haven't played any of them you don't know yet which one you'll like more but you can't go wrong with the two pickups!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 5 2009, 11:32 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 4 2009, 09:20 PM) *
Yep, Humbuckers aren't really meant to be spluitted, they are meant to be humbuckers but they will still sound decent splitted...

I rather have a great humbucker with decent coil split than a decen humbucker with good coil split!

You get more attack from hotter pickups and you fet more attack from ceramic magnets.The sh-5 will have more attack (being a ceramic pickup) but the Sh-4 is a very hot Alnico-pickup so there is also plenty of chunky-ness with the JB...
There is no need to worry about output or attack from these pickups, Exodus play thrash metal with the sh-5 and Arch Enemy play death Metal with the sh-4; that's how versatile they are!

I guess both pickups will work for what you want, they cover your styles and are very versatile - It's more of preferance question which one you will like better but since you haven't played any of them you don't know yet which one you'll like more but you can't go wrong with the two pickups!

Buy them both laugh.gif laugh.gif

Also, I rarely use the split function, maybe it would be easier to solder them just in the standard way, can't go wrong with the push/pull thing then....

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 5 2009, 12:27 PM
QUOTE (Toroso @ Aug 3 2009, 08:47 PM) *
The value of your tone pot has some to do with it as well. 500K pot allows more highs to pass so sounds brighter than a 250K pot.

A general rule of Thumb is to use 250K pots for Single Coils and 500K for HBuckers for Tone Pots!
As for Volume Pots you can use anything, the Ibanez Jems and top range RG's have a 1Meg Volume Pot! I know as I've just bought some to play with!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 5 2009, 07:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 5 2009, 01:27 PM) *
A general rule of Thumb is to use 250K pots for Single Coils and 500K for HBuckers for Tone Pots!
As for Volume Pots you can use anything, the Ibanez Jems and top range RG's have a 1Meg Volume Pot! I know as I've just bought some to play with!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'm not planning on changing the pots wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 6 2009, 04:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
"you got mail" I can buy a TB-4 for 45 euros plus sending fee!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 6 2009, 06:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 6 2009, 05:51 PM) *
"you got mail" I can buy a TB-4 for 45 euros plus sending fee!

Go for it!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 6 2009, 07:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 6 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Go for it!

I'm whaiting only a little day for another thing I replied on, the SH-5, I might be able to buy it ten euros cheaper then the 4, just whaiting a little moment for that tongue.gif

Zakk, if I send you a picture of the cavity for the pickup wires, could you tell me which wire to go where? I probably can find out myself, just asking if it's not the case wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 6 2009, 09:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sure send the pic!

If you are not doing the coil swithc thingy then it's a piece of cake if you can handle a soldering iron!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 7 2009, 03:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 6 2009, 10:44 PM) *
Sure send the pic!

If you are not doing the coil swithc thingy then it's a piece of cake if you can handle a soldering iron!

I think I'll do that, I can always make the split work right? I still have to make the picture wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 7 2009, 05:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yes you can still get the split working afterwards, the two cables neccessary for that are should be taped together as long as they are not needed...

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 8 2009, 05:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Pictures for Zakk tongue.gif

First step for me would be to get rid of that little tierip? Then... in picture three, am I right when I say I should unsolder all the wires coming from the big blab tube (covered in red for marking)? The little bare wire running out of it (marked dark blue) is for grounding, and the blu wire (marked in yellow) is the hot one? Then i still have red, white and black left, but I'll find the places to disconnect them , after removing the tie rip.

Is it hard to get it this tidy again? I mean, if I release the tie rip, wires will be jumping out tongue.gif Also, could you pleeeaaase tell me which colour Seymour Duncan wire I should connect where? for no push/pull fancy stuff that is wink.gif That'll come later wink.gif

BTW I'm very surprised about the camera quality tongue.gif I found an option for this kind of images, very near to the lense, great quality pictures!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 8 2009, 05:26 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 9 2009, 01:18 AM
Learning Tone Master
Pretty crowded in there!

First of all remove that clip that holds together all the cables so that you can move them arround and get a better view. Don't worry about it looking not tidy as long as everything works!

You are right, the big marked cable that splits into lots of little ones is you humbucker multiconductor, you can pull out your humbucker to be sure of it if it moves! Unsolder all the little cables coming from the big one so that you can pull the humbucker out. Put in the new humbucker and pull the cable into the cavity. And now onto the soldering...

You have to solder the green and the bare cable ON TOP of the volume knob to ground the pickup. The red and white cable are usually for coilsplitting but since they are not in use, you can twist the tips together and tape it of so that it can't touch anything else...
Finally you solder the black cable to the volume knob, right where your old humbucker was connected to and you are done!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/produc.../501005-110.pdf

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Aug 9 2009, 01:18 AM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:57 PM