Monitors, Drums, Recording
Brandon Earman
Oct 30 2009, 06:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC. I'm currently playing my backing tracks through a 2.1 speaker system. It's an old pair of Altec Lansing speakers which sound pretty good but just don't have that much power. I want to be able to crank my amp up a little (not too loud) and play along with my computer backing tracks. Currently, my computer sound just becomes distorted at those levels.

With that being said I've got a few questions.

1. Suggestions for a set of monitors/speakers that sound good, can put out enough power, and won't cost too much.
2. If I bought EZDrummer and Reaper, would this combination be ideal for making my own drum,bass,guitar backing tracks?
3. Last, do most monitors get their power through the wall or do you have to buy a separate amp/power source.

Hope I've been clear with my questions. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 30 2009, 06:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
1. set of active monitors like these would work great http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tors?sku=600739
2. It would be a good combination for making drum backing tracks and recording guitar. For bass you will need to either play one live or to get a VST for bass like Trilogy.
3. There are active and passive monitors. Actives are ones that have amp built in and you just plug them in the "wall". Passive ones will need an amplifier to work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Oct 30 2009, 10:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks a lot Bogdan, I'll keep this in mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 30 2009, 10:46 PM
QUOTE (earman @ Oct 30 2009, 11:44 PM) *
Thanks a lot Bogdan, I'll keep this in mind.

You're welcome! If you have any further questions just shoot smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 12:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (earman @ Oct 30 2009, 06:25 PM) *
1. Suggestions for a set of monitors/speakers that sound good, can put out enough power, and won't cost too much.
2. If I bought EZDrummer and Reaper, would this combination be ideal for making my own drum,bass,guitar backing tracks?
3. Last, do most monitors get their power through the wall or do you have to buy a separate amp/power source.

Hope I've been clear with my questions. smile.gif

1. What's the budget on the monitors?
2. Sure, you can make very decent sounding backing tracks with these, but you will need some bass VSTi as well, and some knowledge about mixing and audio production in general (this will come in time)
3. Powered (active) monitors have integrated amp inside that need power source. Passive monitors do not have integrated amp, and don't need power source, but they do need external amp.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
intemperateContr...
Oct 31 2009, 12:57 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 30 2009, 06:44 PM) *
2. Sure, you can make very decent sounding backing tracks with these, but you will need some bass VSTi as well, and some knowledge about mixing and audio production in general (this will come in time)
3. Powered (active) monitors have integrated amp inside that need power source. Passive monitors do not have integrated amp, and don't need power source, but they do need external amp.

Ivan, I don't always respond to your posts because you need no help - but I do read quite a few of them. Not that this pertains solely to this particular post, but guys, this man is a very intelligent person, and a great guitar player! Be afraid. Be very, very afraid!!! ph34r.gif Ha! You're a great instructor and adviser here on the GMC, Dude. Very appreciative - hang loose cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 01:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (intemperateControl @ Oct 31 2009, 12:57 AM) *
Ivan, I don't always respond to your posts because you need no help - but I do read quite a few of them. Not that this pertains solely to this particular post, but guys, this man is a very intelligent person, and a great guitar player! Be afraid. Be very, very afraid!!! ph34r.gif Ha! You're a great instructor and adviser here on the GMC, Dude. Very appreciative - hang loose cool.gif

I'm glad to help anytime, cheers my man wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Oct 31 2009, 07:57 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 30 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Thanks Ivan. I've found these Mackie active monitors and I think I'm sold on them. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...itor?sku=603999. They're getting great reviews, plus Mackie seems like a pretty solid company.

And concerning bass recording, what's wrong with plugging my bass guitar into my Pod Studio GX? I noticed the Pod Farm had some bass guitar presets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 31 2009, 01:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (earman @ Oct 31 2009, 07:57 AM) *
Thanks Ivan. I've found these Mackie active monitors and I think I'm sold on them. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...itor?sku=603999. They're getting great reviews, plus Mackie seems like a pretty solid company.

And concerning bass recording, what's wrong with plugging my bass guitar into my Pod Studio GX? I noticed the Pod Farm had some bass guitar presets.

These Mackie's are very good, definitely a good choice! smile.gif

Nothing wrong with playing bass - in fact that is ideal solution! biggrin.gif I thought you will need bass VSTi judging from the previous post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 02:13 PM
QUOTE (earman @ Oct 31 2009, 08:57 AM) *

Yeah playing bass live through pod studio gx will be a great solution. You will need to play around a bit with sound setup as guitar modeling is a bit better. But for good bass sound there is a "D.I. blend in option" that will make it right if you blend your clean bass sound with the modeling in pod farm.

Tell us when you purchase the gear ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Oct 31 2009, 05:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 31 2009, 08:13 AM) *
Yeah playing bass live through pod studio gx will be a great solution. You will need to play around a bit with sound setup as guitar modeling is a bit better. But for good bass sound there is a "D.I. blend in option" that will make it right if you blend your clean bass sound with the modeling in pod farm.

Ok awesome! Can you tell me more about the "D.I. blend in option?" I searched around in Pod Farm but couldn't find anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 06:59 PM
QUOTE (earman @ Oct 31 2009, 06:01 PM) *
Ok awesome! Can you tell me more about the "D.I. blend in option?" I searched around in Pod Farm but couldn't find anything.

When you select a bass preset, to the left there are tabs for : Gear , panel , preset, tuner, mixer.
Select the amp and click on the panel tab. There you can tweak the amp and you will see two knobs for D.I. Blend in level.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Oct 31 2009, 11:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 31 2009, 12:59 PM) *
When you select a bass preset, to the left there are tabs for : Gear , panel , preset, tuner, mixer.
Select the amp and click on the panel tab. There you can tweak the amp and you will see two knobs for D.I. Blend in level.

Ok so I'm assuming you're referring to Dry Input. Are you saying just use this to make sure I get a good level of input? Sorry for being so clueless lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 31 2009, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (earman @ Oct 31 2009, 11:38 PM) *
Ok so I'm assuming you're referring to Dry Input. Are you saying just use this to make sure I get a good level of input? Sorry for being so clueless lol.

Yes direct dry input from the bass. Trick is to combine the amp modeling with that tone. Ratio you control with the level of D.I. blend in option we spoke about. Have you located the knob for that in Pod Farm? Its not about the level of general input/output rather sound. Dry bass tone will give you definition in the sound, make it cut through the mix well. So try playing with that option in pod farm. Start from 20:80 % di:amp ratio and go from there. That should help you make a good bass one with the pod studio. Tell me if you have any further questions or need more clarifications on the subject.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 31 2009, 11:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:24 PM