Quick Licks #47 Building A Solo Part 3
Todd Simpson
Sep 29 2018, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
Let's continue our work from Quick Licks 45 and 46. This is the third part of a three part series on building a solo. I realize now that these three Quick Licks are among the most difficult we have ever attempted and may be giving folks pause. Please know that you don't have to play these at the speed I'm playing them. You can play at any speed that is comfortable. Don't be thrown off by the complexity or briskness of a given lick. These are foundational Shred Licks. They are worth working on. Give them a go!!
We are using the backing track ("Suspended Growth" by Hamin), that I wrote the solo for on which these licks are based. Hopefully these licks are somewhat familiar as I have used all of them in the past here on GMC in various lessons. we are going to add another lick to what we did last time. These three licks work together. You can play them in any order and at any speed and they will still work. For this lesson, you ONLY NEED TO PLAY PART III! smile.gif

If you are not comfortable playing with music, you can use a metronome. Either way is ok for Quick Licks!
*Have a look at the video

*This is based on my recent collab with Iranian Djent fiend HAMIN. Here is the full solo. We are working on the last bit today. Keep a good palm mute the entire time! This is a LONG scale run. Being able to do long runs is part of being a well rounded player. Give it a go!

*NOTE: Keep it smooth and under control. If you find you are losing control, slow down just a pinch.
Attached File  47.gp5 ( 1.86K ) Number of downloads: 15558

Attached Image

BACKING TRACK: (Suspended Growth: By Hamin from the Republic of Iran)
Attached File  45_46_47_backing.mp3 ( 874.45K ) Number of downloads: 137

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS : Try this lick with the backing! Keep it clean. Repeat as needed Also, make SURE to play the picking pattern as written. It's a pattern that we are going to use quite a bit on a variety of licks.

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 11 2018, 06:51 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 29 2018, 09:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Todd , I'll be on them October 8th,I'm nearly ready to post a take of 46 but am in Cala d'Or at the moment.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 29 2018, 09:20 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 29 2018, 09:37 PM
Enjoy your vacation!! I enjoy all your vacations quite a bit! I am traveling vicariously through you by watching your instagram feed!!! I've never traveled so much in my life! I love traveling now. Well, I love vicariously traveling I should say smile.gif

The Quick Licks will be here for you when you get back!! smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 29 2018, 04:19 PM) *
Todd , I'll be on them October 8th,I'm nearly ready to post a take of 46 but am in Cala d'Or at the moment.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Sep 30 2018, 05:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Todd

The backtrack is empty....

Cheers

Laurent

Hi
This is my take

Cheers
Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2018, 06:57 PM
Well played!! This lick probably reminds you of several we have done in the past as it's one of my favorite runs!! You killed it!! Didn't even seem to break a sweat! I"ll bet you could crush the others as well and probably even string them all together. Thanks for the heads up about the backing track!! I'll fix that. For this one, you had great form and technique, knocked it it out of the park. You just ...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Sep 30 2018, 12:50 PM) *
Todd

The backtrack is empty....

Cheers

Laurent

Hi
This is my take

Cheers
Laurent

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Dec 10 2018, 02:47 PM
Learning Roadie
this one needs adding to the master thread as well mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Dec 11 2018, 02:26 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2018, 02:36 AM
Nicely Done!!! This lick is all about running a scale up the neck. Being able to do an "up slide" is the key to this one. Down slides are just as important as up slides, but it's up slides that tend to be a bit more difficult. Some folks really struggle in up slides and get stuck on frets. Some folks use some form of fret/string lube. I don't think you need any help at all. You slide up without any difficulty and stick the landing at each spot. Well freaking done!!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 11 2018, 09:26 AM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 6 2019, 08:05 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2019, 03:55 AM
impressive work. Each one of these seems to be getting better and better. Maybe it's just you running through them and honing your skills along the way. It's great to watch!! This is a tricky run that has zero gaps and and if you miss one note, you get to start over. You don't miss any notes. It's great to see you really ripping these up. Even the ones that I was afraid were waaaaay to hard or complicated. Nope, ripped through it like a hot knife through butter. Well done. The technique on display is a clinic in how to properly run this scale. You sir just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 6 2019, 03:05 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 22 2019, 09:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 up for scrutiny Sarge

https://youtu.be/Psg_3cMYh3g

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2019, 12:27 AM
Nice!! This is one of my fave types of solo chops. Running a scale up the neck through it's various modes. Building these long scale runs can be a challenge until one gets a grasp on how the shapes connect. However, once one does grasp how the various shapes connect, it's quite simple to build very long runs all the way up and down the neck. Back when i first saw these types of runs, it seemed like something that would forever elude me. Come to find out, it's really not that complicated, once you get used to it. You play this very smoothly and seem quite comfy doing it. It's great to see!! You nailed it. And...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 22 2019, 04:51 PM) *
Take 1 up for scrutiny Sarge

https://youtu.be/Psg_3cMYh3g

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 2 2021, 12:45 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 2 2021, 01:18 AM
Look at him go!! This is a nice long scale run up the neck. You gotta lead with the pinky and slide your way up. if the pinky is not up to the task, this lick will fall apart. The good news is that you've spent time working on your pinky power and you can slide it up the neck just fine! Also, you gotta stick the landing at each point. if you land on the wrong note, BAM, falls apart. Again, you don't miss any notes so it goes just fine. Congrats! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 1 2021, 07:45 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 2 2021, 01:37 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:17 PM